Building character...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Building character, muscles, teamwork, and instilling the value of earning in offspring....

The kids did pretty well, for an afterschool 1/2hr, I asked them what the best way to move the wood was, they said;

" trailer and tractor "
"no"
"daddys truck"
"no"
"mommys truck"
"no, mommy is at work, with her 30mpg truck"
"the dumptruck"
"no"
"the orange sled"
"not enough snow"
"the wheelbarrow"
"they are full"....(each child has their own wheelbarrow, rarely used for work)
"the wagon on the backporch"
"oh, so that's where it is, perfect, go get it"

Well, I fetched the wagon, good thing too, it was full of wood from their last haul. Those two kids(g-5.66,b-4.5), working together, loaded, one pulled/one pushed, three loads to the back back porch, unloaded, stacked, and tossed another four loads of oak through the basement window, and took one last full load onto the back porch. Once they warmed their extremities up, it was time to put their summer work gloves on, and they brought in the whole nights worth of wood(cottonwood/poplar) for the fireplace, stacked neatly on the hearth.

Well, I had to award all that hard work with a warm winter dinner, beef roast with sliced potatoes baked crispy on the edge dripping with butter, fresh tomatoes, and a tall glass of water. With the advent of popcorn/movie as the usual treat for a thursday night(moms bible study night), they cleaned their plates, washed faces, bussed the table, belched, and pulled up a chair to the fire like a couple of seasoned hands at the end of the day, my daughter even asked for a toothpick to pry out some stuck roast. Two hours of playing with lincoln logs, not too near the fire, some schoolwork, and storytime, it's been a good, quiet, winter night at the homestead tonight.
Overworked children? doubt it.
Abused children? hardly.
Neglected and unloved? I don't think so.
Appreciation of hard work, and rewards following? eventually, probably not until they are parents themselves though.
How will my grandchildren be raised? by good, loving, respectful parents.....I hope.

Blessings? hard to count that high somedays.

Last edited:
Well said....

"Train up a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

A solid foundation sure beats the transient morality so popular these days. An ounce of moral fiber is better than a pound of emotional constipation. And too much of western societal infrastructure is running on the moral fiber of a pop tart.

TS

I think I was 7 or 8 when we got a woodstove. I remember going with my parents looking at the All Nighters, so I'm pretty we added it a few years after the house was built in '75.

Dad cut the wood in the woods and brought it up to the house. Can't remember how it got off the truck into the garage.

But I know I stacked it in the garage, and used my little red wagon to bring in the wood through the door to the basement. Once it was near fire season, I'd keep 1 month in the basement, a week of that near the woodstove, the rest further away. Each weekend it was time to restock by the woodstove, and bring another week in from the garage to the far end.

I also must've gotten up early, since I had to get the woodstove going each morning, and Dad was a lineman for the phone company so he got up early.

Don't tell Mom (or Dad) but more then once I pulled the electric blower off the side of the stove that circulated more air on bitter cold nights...and used it to really get the fire going in the morning :D

Dalmation, that last line got me to chuckling I'll tell ya what. :hmm3grin2orange:

My daughter occasionally offers up the argument that girls should not have to haul wood.
My answer to that is simple, if you want to stay warm, haul wood.
And, if that isnt good enough, if Dad can occasionally wash dishes, then girls can haul some wood!

Thanks for the post OP!

my kids help cut, haul, split, and do other chores when i had them home--they complained how hard it was--but they are all successful now--ssoooooooo---nuts with doctor spock--jerk--

Every night when we get home my two girls (8 and 2) refuse to go inside until they get to help Dad load up the outdoor wood boiler. Sure makes filling the woodhog more enjoyable when the girls are so excited about helping...makes for a very enjoyable time.

My 4 year old daughter loves to help out by putting wood from our wood room onto a wheel cart and moving it to fill the wood nook by our stove....after she's done, she calls me down to provide lap space for her to sit and watch the fire.

Children, a privilege and a reward.

Brought to you by the Designer of both the Human and Heavenly family.

Regards,

TS

Great to hear wdchuck! I'm single w/o children so I know now why I'm such a "character"-all that wood handling! :cheers:

Building character, muscles, teamwork, and instilling the value of earning in offspring....

The kids did pretty well, for an afterschool 1/2hr, I asked them what the best way to move the wood was, they said;

" trailer and tractor "
"no"
"daddys truck"
"no"
"mommys truck"
"no, mommy is at work, with her 30mpg truck"
"the dumptruck"
"no"
"the orange sled"
"not enough snow"
"the wheelbarrow"
"they are full"....(each child has their own wheelbarrow, rarely used for work)
"the wagon on the backporch"
"oh, so that's where it is, perfect, go get it"

Well, I fetched the wagon, good thing too, it was full of wood from their last haul. Those two kids(g-5.66,b-4.5), working together, loaded, one pulled/one pushed, three loads to the back back porch, unloaded, stacked, and tossed another four loads of oak through the basement window, and took one last full load onto the back porch. Once they warmed their extremities up, it was time to put their summer work gloves on, and they brought in the whole nights worth of wood(cottonwood/poplar) for the fireplace, stacked neatly on the hearth.

Well, I had to award all that hard work with a warm winter dinner, beef roast with sliced potatoes baked crispy on the edge dripping with butter, fresh tomatoes, and a tall glass of water. With the advent of popcorn/movie as the usual treat for a thursday night(moms bible study night), they cleaned their plates, washed faces, bussed the table, belched, and pulled up a chair to the fire like a couple of seasoned hands at the end of the day, my daughter even asked for a toothpick to pry out some stuck roast. Two hours of playing with lincoln logs, not too near the fire, some schoolwork, and storytime, it's been a good, quiet, winter night at the homestead tonight.
Overworked children? doubt it.
Abused children? hardly.
Neglected and unloved? I don't think so.
Appreciation of hard work, and rewards following? eventually, probably not until they are parents themselves though.
How will my grandchildren be raised? by good, loving, respectful parents.....I hope.

Blessings? hard to count that high somedays.

You sure sound like you got a good family .Today thats a lot.:cheers:

Yes, I am lucky.

Remember, the kids pick the parents nursing home, so it pays to lay good memories for them.

Sounds like we are all on the same page. My 8yr old and 6yr old boys both help me. Last weekend my wife and I were unloading the trailer when Will (8) came out, bored. He started helping and I gave Michelle a nod. We stopped hauling ourselves and just loaded his arms with wood again and again. Afterwards we shared a Orange Crush and watched the sun set. Good times!
Dok

Latest posts

Back