Building My First Mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may end up buying some thin wall SS that is already bent at a 90. It's 1.125" diameter that's going to be the problem.

I'm waiting for my chain/chain break tools to come so I can make the chains up. I'll be making the copper exhaust gasket later today since I can't seem to find any exhaust gasket material at any local automotive or refrigeration/heating suppliers. I've used copper on many of the race cars I have built in the past. Works good and they hardly ever burn out.

jerry-

Good plan with the copper!!

Good plan with the copper!!

Thanks

I'm finding that it is almost impossible to find the old asbestos gasket material in sheets to make exhaust gaskets with. The old boilers used it for flange material. The exhaust port on this motor is 1" x 2-1/2" in size. When it's running it can be heard a long ways off.

Got my spool of chain and the tools to make the chains with today. I'll have to put off doing the chains until next week. I'm doing a disk brake conversion on a 66 Mustang this week for a friends car. I did it on my 65 Ranchero and after he drove it he wanted it for his Stang.

later,
jerry-

Thanks

I'm finding that it is almost impossible to find the old asbestos gasket material in sheets to make exhaust gaskets with. The old boilers used it for flange material. The exhaust port on this motor is 1" x 2-1/2" in size. When it's running it can be heard a long ways off.

Got my spool of chain and the tools to make the chains with today. I'll have to put off doing the chains until next week. I'm doing a disk brake conversion on a 66 Mustang this week for a friends car. I did it on my 65 Ranchero and after he drove it he wanted it for his Stang.

later,
jerry-

Nice, must be nice to have a friend like you!!

I may end up buying some thin wall SS that is already bent at a 90. It's 1.125" diameter that's going to be the problem.

I'm waiting for my chain/chain break tools to come so I can make the chains up. I'll be making the copper exhaust gasket later today since I can't seem to find any exhaust gasket material at any local automotive or refrigeration/heating suppliers. I've used copper on many of the race cars I have built in the past. Works good and they hardly ever burn out.

jerry-

That SS thinwall is good stuff.
We use corrugated thin wall SS for our flexible ultrahigh vacuum linkages at work, the turbomolecular pumps can pull the vacuum down to 0.000 000 000 001 atm - kinda scary to think there's just that thin wall between the two. We also use copper gaskets, but only for the 0.000 0001 atm side of the vacuum. For the ultrahigh side we use pure gold O rings!!!!

That SS thinwall is good stuff.
We use corrugated thin wall SS for our flexible ultrahigh vacuum linkages at work, the turbomolecular pumps can pull the vacuum down to 0.000 000 000 001 atm - kinda scary to think there's just that thin wall between the two. We also use copper gaskets, but only for the 0.000 0001 atm side of the vacuum. For the ultrahigh side we use pure gold O rings!!!!

Hi BobL,

The SS thin wall is tough. I remember when I was younger I was working in an RD facility and I hard silver soldered heavy brass flanges to flexible SS bellows to run test instruments into vacuum chambers. Can't have any leaks and with the corrugated thin wall SS it would not collapse under vacuum. Sounds like you get to work with some pretty cool stuff too. Cool!

I don't think the corrugated flex would work to good for an intake. I think the gas/oil mixture would puddle. I may have to find a custom tubing company that sells mandrel bent elbow's in the size I need. I figure I can get the mill running on what I have, then play with it once it's up and running.

jerry-

Hi BobL,

The SS thin wall is tough. I remember when I was younger I was working in an RD facility and I hard silver soldered heavy brass flanges to flexible SS bellows to run test instruments into vacuum chambers. Can't have any leaks and with the corrugated thin wall SS it would not collapse under vacuum.
yep - that's it.
Sounds like you get to work with some pretty cool stuff too. Cool!
I sure do - I'll take some pics next time I have the camera in the lab.
I don't think the corrugated flex would work to good for an intake. I think the gas/oil mixture would puddle.[/QUOTE]

Yep - I agree, plus the corrugations would hinder the air flow. It doesn't matter in the vacuum systems we use as the air flow is sooooo looooow.

Cheers

yes it is--what some arent realizing tho is--404 is stronger than 3/8. and it may be--that with the power you have--you could start breaking chains--not cool!!!!

Breaking a chain was also my concern. I have a 1967 WARDS saw that came with an 820 PowerBee motor. I have also installed a larger intake/carb, Kevlar reed valves and an electronic ignition. I was told by the company I purchased the parts from that they have built those engines using those parts that make 17hp. The key to that saw is torque. It's operating rpm is only about 8k, but the torque is un-real. I can cut a dry Oak tree that is 30" in diameter and it doesn't even bog down, and that is why I decided to go with the .404-063". Everything I have read about saws with a lot of torque recommends using the .404 because it has less tendencies to bog down. My neighbor is planning to video my mill when I run it for the first time, should be fun! :)

I received my chain and chain/break tools yesterday. I'll be making the chains up next week sometime. I still have a few little issues with my throttle. I may have to set the carb to be operated by a bell crank. I'm not getting full travel on the carb linkage. Didn't you use a motor cycle twist type throttle grip on your remote setup. If so, what was it from?

jerry-

Breaking a chain was also my concern. I have a 1967 WARDS saw that came with an 820 PowerBee motor. I have also installed a larger intake/carb, Kevlar reed valves and an electronic ignition. I was told by the company I purchased the parts from that they have built those engines using those parts that make 17hp. The key to that saw is torque. It's operating rpm is only about 8k, but the torque is un-real. I can cut a dry Oak tree that is 30" in diameter and it doesn't even bog down, and that is why I decided to go with the .404-063". Everything I have read about saws with a lot of torque recommends using the .404 because it has less tendencies to bog down. My neighbor is planning to video my mill when I run it for the first time, should be fun! :)

I received my chain and chain/break tools yesterday. I'll be making the chains up next week sometime. I still have a few little issues with my throttle. I may have to set the carb to be operated by a bell crank. I'm not getting full travel on the carb linkage. Didn't you use a motor cycle twist type throttle grip on your remote setup. If so, what was it from?

jerry-

Not likely you'll break a chain. I know that people convert 36" bars to run .325 chain for milling, because it takes less of a bite!!

yes it is--what some arent realizing tho is--404 is stronger than 3/8. and it may be--that with the power you have--you could start breaking chains--not cool!!!!

New 404 is actually not that much stronger than new 3/8.

The 404 ties, cutters and driver links are the same thickness as 3/8, it's only the area of metal around the 404 rivet holes that is at most 10% greater than the 3/8. This is needed because 404 cutters are slightly (8%) longer which places a greater torque on the cutter-rivet turning radius, but after a while a worn 404 cutter has has the same length as new 3/8.

404 takes a greater side cut than 3/8 so 404 is subjected to a bit more twisting as well.

The real benefit of 404 is there are less rivets so there is less stretch and likelihood of falling/coming off the bar. When used with a gutsy powerhead stretch is very significant in overall bar slap, and bar and chain wear so that is where 404 really wins.

Does anyone know what chain they run on the big slabbers that are powered by a 20hp V-twin?

They slab at least 72" and I've not heard of chains breaking.

Mr. HE:cool:

Baileys says the Lucas slabber uses .404 .063 ripping chain.

I can't find what Peterson uses.

Mr. HE:cool:

Does anyone know what chain they run on the big slabbers that are powered by a 20hp V-twin?

They slab at least 72" and I've not heard of chains breaking.

Lucas mills use up to 30 HP power heads with a max of 60" bar running 404 chain using raker depths of ~0.060". They do break chains but its not that common.

How did the mill turn out?

The mills works great! I've milled quite a bit with it and since I've installed a 50" bar I'm getting some larger pieces to mill. I currently have gotten some 36"+ wide redwood logs and some black walnut stumps that I'll be milling when the weather cools. 100* weather is no fun to mill in.

Are you planning to build a mill?

jerry-

Back