Bur Oak, Storm Blow Down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We had big storm come through last night, power was out
for about 15 hours. Took a generator over to Mom & Dad's
They have a freezer full of beef that they just had butchered.
Anyway county road guys stopped and told dad a big tree had blown over
and taken out his fence on both sides of the road and they
didn't have a saw big enough to do anything with it.
I told them I think I have a saw that will get the job done,
if it's rotten inside you haul it off, if it's solid, I will haul it off :)

Two bottom end logs look to be very solid. We had to much fence
to fix today to mess with the logs and take picture's. I drove back
to measure log and take picture.....had to take pic from truck,
lens would fog over as soon as I would get out of truck.

Log is an honest 36" on big end, 35" on small end, 8' and 9" long.
For scale, on stump, for scale is a Gatorade bottle 8" tall. On upper end of
log you can see where county boys tried to whittle it into. :)
attachment.php

By the way, Stihl 064 with 30" BC done the deed.
attachment.php

Nice score Gary!:cheers:

By the WOODWEB, log weight calculator

Species: Oak, Bur
Small End Diameter: 35.00
Large End Diameter: 36.00
Length: 9.00'
Quantity: 1.00 Estimated Weight: 3928

Dad's tractor and front loader are rated at 6000lbs
so we should be able to handle it......but I don't have
a bar or saw to handle the full 36" dia. If I can just
talk wife into an MS880. :)

By the WOODWEB, log weight calculator

Species: Oak, Bur
Small End Diameter: 35.00
Large End Diameter: 36.00
Length: 9.00'
Quantity: 1.00 Estimated Weight: 3928

Dad's tractor and front loader are rated at 6000lbs
so we should be able to handle it......but I don't have
a bar or saw to handle the full 36" dia. If I can just
talk wife into an MS880. :)

Did you say you had a 30 inch bar? You can whittle it down with that bar same way I've whittled down a 40" dia tree with only a 36" bar (which is actually only a 30 inch milling capacity). Take a slab off as deep as you can get with your bar, turn the log, slab again etc etc. After only doing that 2 or 3 times you're down to size for the 30. The edges of those first slabs will be at an angle, but so what. You will get the job done. Looks like lots of nice clear lumber out of that one, nice find.

Did you say you had a 30 inch bar? You can whittle it down with that bar same way I've whittled down a 40" dia tree with only a 36" bar (which is actually only a 30 inch milling capacity). Take a slab off as deep as you can get with your bar, turn the log, slab again etc etc. After only doing that 2 or 3 times you're down to size for the 30. The edges of those first slabs will be at an angle, but so what. You will get the job done. Looks like lots of nice clear lumber out of that one, nice find.

Sorry WS,

I should have said, I would like to mill full width slab table top's out of it.

But then again it would make a bunch of Q sawn lumber. Looking at the
end grain it has lots of nice big rays.

Longest bar I have is 36", May have to invert my Logosol mill. :)

Gary

doncha just love it when the county guys fire up a saw--aint never seen such a mess in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice save.

I had a nice 30" sycamore that the tree trimmers called me out on, but they hacked it off in the middle of the log, so I just had them swing the crane over and set it on the back of the firewood cutters truck. Gave them $20.00 bucks and told them to call me before they started cutting next time.

Tip I picked up here at AS......Wedge's, with out them I would had a heck
of a time cutting this tree. It wanted to pinch the bar, even a log this
big (to me). Two wedge's driven in at top would open cut and start
to raise log off ground.

If you don't have wedges...........Buy some, at least four.

Gary

Late today, Dad and I finished fixing fence then we moved logs
off road. After pic painted end's of log's.

Dad will turn 70 this Sunday. Quick count of growth rings, tree is 160 years old

attachment.php

Found one down bigger than this one down today.
attachment.php

Gary

Bigger Blow Down

This old tree grew up drinking spring water it's whole life.
Best I could tell it's 44" dia., up at the crotch, looks
like it's 6 foot wide or more. I think this is the tree, that
is going to get me an MS880. ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Foundation of the old spring house.

attachment.php

I'm sure tree is in the white oak family, but not sure what it is........Swamp White Oak? I know oaks hybridize.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Good for you Gary!!!:cheers: According to my book the leaf that you posted the pic of is a dead ringer for two different White Oaks, The first is called a Chestnut Oak and the second is called Swamp Chestnut Oak. The first is said to have dark and deeply furrowed bark and the second is said to have light gray and scaly bark. The Swamp Chestnut Oak is also known as Basket Oak and Cow Oak. Whatever it is it sure is a NICE one.

Good for you Gary!!!:cheers: According to my book the leaf that you posted the pic of is a dead ringer for two different White Oaks, The first is called a Chestnut Oak and the second is called Swamp Chestnut Oak. The first is said to have dark and deeply furrowed bark and the second is said to have light gray and scaly bark. The Swamp Chestnut Oak is also known as Basket Oak and Cow Oak. Whatever it is it sure is a NICE one.

Thanks, DT

I searched on line, but wasn't sure what it is.

Gary

going make some corkscrew boards are ya?

I'm not a big fan of any of the oaks, it a smell thing with me. That said I would still pass on this log if it were something more to my likeing. That log has spiral grain and will give you nothing but lumber with big twists in it and once dry and milled it will be prone to twisting from season to season.

Don't mean to rain on your parade but I have milled spiral grain before and would never do it again and just wanted to try and save some grief or at least give you a heads up so you won't be surprised in two years.

Looks good Gary, and boy are you lucky to have your dad still working with you. Take it easy on him, I know what it is like to be almost 70 on a hot day.

Looks good Gary, and boy are you lucky to have your dad still working with you. Take it easy on him, I know what it is like to be almost 70 on a hot day.

Nice score Gary... yeah that tree does look like it has some twisted grain, but I'd still give it a go myself. As for your Dad helping you in the woods at 70... not to one up ya, but my Dad just turned 80 in June, and he's out there in the woods with his chainsaws right along side me when I mill up at his place. I hope to be in as good a shape as him when I reach 80 (IF I reach 80 that is).

Back