Burlapping Precious Ornamentals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tshanefreeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am posing this discussion topic to gain some input from others from far and wide.

Would you or would you not burlap ornamentals during the winter months?

I have heard some say that burlapping is detrimental to the tree! Why?

Yes, if a Thuja sp. for example were wrapped too tight or if wrapped in too close of proximity, the branches and evergreen foliage could be damaged. However, if the proper care is taken, what's the problem?

Where I live, deer are as abundant as neighborhood dogs.........meaning that they emigrate city limits in search of food and what could be better than a lushous ornamental that has benefited by TLC. If you want to save an evergreen (especially juvenile ones), you have to cover them with something or be prepared to replant!

Let not only me, but others know what you have found through personal experience..........

Tshane,

I guess it depends on what you're trying to protect, and against what. I put up a burlap fence to the west of my rhody, to protect it against wind and sun exposure; I wouldn't want to wrap it in burlap, though. Seems like the deer problem may be better addressed by simply encircling the plant with rabbit fence.

Another option that is viable even on larger trees (e.g.-fruit trees which you fear deer or elk will eat the bark of) is to install 'hog wire" (4"-6" heavy wire mesh") FLAT(same plane as the ground) about 12 inches off the ground and encircle the tree/trunk. This works on the same principle as a cattle guard in a roadway fenceline. It makes the critturs nervous about trying to walk with all those holes! Mulch under it well and enjoy the low maintenance section of yard.:)

I can think of two reasons.
First, it's ugly. We plant evergreens so we have an attrctive view in the winter, instead, you have these ugly brown balls, that now highlight your landscape.
Second, those burlap balls make great habitat for rodents, all warm and protected in there with a winters supply of food.

Mike,

I agree that burlap isn't the most beautiful addition to a landscape, but when facing the devistating reality of deer that I have to............a brown ball in the winter is a much better alternative than a brown stick in the spring!

The idea about the hog fence stirs interest in me. But the only thing that I would be concerned about is how effective it would be in locations that receive heavy snowfall. Here in southern Manitoba, we can be assured that a 12" high grid would be burried by Christmas, perhaps allowing the deer to walk right over top and feed away!

I would burlap them is they are newly planted and in a windy environment, then do it loosely so that the burlap is more of a wind break then an actual wrap. The water the root ball well.

A well established evergreen should not have desication problems, if it is a high value, important peice of the landscape, then maybe an antidesicant spray may be an option.

I only hunt in season.....Empty freezer season...Nobody is watching season...In my yard season....etc.

Calm down Peta lovers I'm just joking.:p

Just remember, if God didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Back