City to pay $500K to man injured by flying log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I expect the settlement in this case is confidential so we will never know the answer to this but--does the victim bear any personal responsibility for what happened here? He chose to stand right in the direction in which the tree was going to fall--and up against a wall yet. I admit to never in my 74 years having done that; it's just not a smart place to be.

“I don’t think it would take a rocket scientist to figure out if a massive, massive elm lands on the logs in the street, you don’t know where the logs are going to go,” said Elliot Olsen.

I didn't even once say 'Here, hold my rum and coke (beer in the Cariboo) and watch this!' as is often cited as the last spoken words of a pickup driver in the Cariboo interior of BC--when falling or watching someone else drop a tree. He was 'only' a computer consultant, but isn't that even half a rocket scientist?

I wouldn't have stood there--would any of you? And I wouldn't have cared if a city employee was standing there or not; not trying to be insulting, but rocket scientists might be as rare in city employee rosters as in small-town-bar patrons. Being chicken I'd have preferred the other side of the wall.

(I liked my brother's response best--he blamed the Dutch.)
Again, I am dumbfounded that a civil liability settlement can have any influence on a safety investigation. I have very deliberately refrained from mentioning anything specific about this accident because a 19 second video and a news article are insufficient evidence to base any interpretation on.

Occupational Safety & Health Administration. That pretty much covers it.

We likely don't know where that video came from (I don't at any rate). If it was privately owned, it will remain that way.

As to reports, those will be public only as much as they can be tied to a public agency. If it was any part of a government report, the information can be had with a great deal of patience & money through the use of our Freedom of Information act. Any prrivately owned reports will almost certainly be locked down tight by the legaleze of the settlement agreement.
So, are you saying that an accident, which could easily have killed someone, will not be investigated in the public arena? How do you learn anything like that?

A bar in the middle of the day huh? If he had any blood left after getting hit they should have checked its alcohol level.

It looks like the whole street is shut down and blocked off.

They were working out there all day and this guy is surprised he got hit by a log?

I don't know, If I decide to spectate traffic while standing in the road can I sue when I get run over?
There used to be a local "morning bar" that catered to the third shift at a local IBM facility. Morning and mid-day drinking was the norm for them...

Yes, and I can prove that it usually works out that way, too. For the most part, on-the-job accidents are handled by the responsible insurance companies or civil litigation, unless it gets the attention of a criminal investigation.
Why is "learning anything" an intrinsic and necessary requirement for you concerning accidents?

I had a tree climber die while working for me. DEAD on the job, while working under my employment. He was "life flighted" to a hospital after 3 resuscitation efforts by the paramedics and subsequently reported DOA. I never even got so much as a knock on my office door from any agency. Not even from my Worker's Comp insurance company.

I'd just as soon not go into the details of all that event here. Search Arborist site for posts by me mentioning Kenny, and you might find it.
I respect your confidentiality when it come to a person who left behind a family and friends, probably including you.
"Why is "learning anything" an intrinsic and necessary requirement for you concerning accidents?" This I don't understand. If you don't learn from your mistakes, it is likely you will make them again. It is even better if an entire industry can learn from a single mistake. I do believe that you understand safety and your duty of care but accidents do happen. I believe that when they do, they should be thoroughly investigated to determine the cause and whether they can be avoided in the future. While most professionals can be relied on to do that in house, there will always be cowboys in almost every industry. Usually they will go out of business as most people won't want to hire them. Unfortunately, they can seriously hurt, or even kill someone before that mechanism works. That is where a government safety body can act. They can introduce legally enforceable regulations. I know that they don't always get it right and often just introduce rules that generate paperwork to justify their job. But with nothing in place, what protects people from these cowboys?

That sure sounds like you are getting pretty high and mighty for a guy that wasn't there.
No, I never mentioned how the rope got set in the tree. That is a silly presumption on your part.

The rope was set high in the tree with the bucket truck. The bucket truck had reached it's height limit, but there was more tree remaining out of reach to remove, so we just dropped the tree away from the house.

I never mentioned putting a whole heap of tension on the rope. It was a gentle pull, secured by ropes. Had the knucklehead running the bucket not cut off the other side of the tree, it could have been felled without any ropes at all.

No, the wire was outside the drop zone of the tree. LIKE I TOLD YOU IN MY ORIGINAL STORY, the tree crashed and flung the branch backwards AFTER it hit the ground. While still tied off to the rope. Now that the tree was down, it had more rope to travel with, too.

I am offended by your accusation that "it all went to ****". It was a perfect drop, it worked according to plan, and it was just a bizarre event that tossed a branch in a very unusual way. THAT WAS THE POINT OF MY TALE: Bad things happen sometimes, despite your best precautions.

As to the utility company, LIKE I SAID, this location was a long ways from getting service by a lineman. We called and reported the problem. They said it would be many hours before they showed up. In the USA, the power companies have a rather rigid policy that they don't want you anywhere near their power lines. We didn't want to wait all day, so I managed the problem regardless of their plan to show up many hours later.

Here is a return question: Do you always assume that everyone else that does tree work is a dangerous moron, or did you save that specially offensive post just for me?
Sorry, but I can't leave this alone. I will try my best to keep it professional because the kind of name calling in my last post isn't helpful for anyone. Though I would point out that you were quite happy to refer to the bucket truck operator as a 'knucklehead'. Who was running the job? Was it you and your crew or the bucket truck driver?
I assume that I can count on your statement that you had no idea what voltage that line was carrying? Why not? It was obviously within the bounds of your work zone, otherwise your rope couldn't have touched it? I accept that there are situations where it is impossible to clear a sufficient work area, but you should still be aware of what is within that area, such as high voltage power lines. How could you know how far away you need to be from a power line if you don't know the voltage. When working with cranes in an urban setting, it is impossible to clear a radius that encompasses the height of the boom, if it were to fail. We are fully aware that there is likely to be a large number of people in that radius and not many people survive being hit by a boom. That is why cranes are so strictly regulated and anyone using them needs to jump through a lot of hoops. For me, the whole point of clearing a work areas is to account for accidents. If you only cleared the area where you planned for the tree to fall, your safety zone would only need to be very small. Referring to that video, which I have tried to avoid mentioning specifically, I assume that they didn't expect a log to fly out sideways and that is why someone got hurt? I would suggest that that is the definition of an accident. No one goes off to work in the morning planning to kill or seriously injure some one. Maybe it's different in the US?
Another part of your recollection that I can't figure out. If you felled the tree away from the house and this limb travelled backwards, does that mean that it cleared the house and then made it over this power line? I accept a little creative license when telling a story, it can actually add weight to the safety concern being raised. However, if you push it too far your warning loses it's credibility.
I will leave it there as I think this is becoming more of a rant than a constructive conversation.

I'll ask you guys :

Is using other limbs to cushion a falling tree 'standard practice'?

Ever seen a limb that big fly that far?

Would you have thought that that guy was far enough away (before reading the story / watching the video?

Philbert

When you are dropping a stick of that size and in that area:
1.) No one should be in or around the drop zone = especially in the direction of felling.
2.) Cut 20'- 25" lengths from wood already on the ground and then build a 'Landing Pad' by laying pieces flat with cut side up/down. Prevents 'rolling logs' as in the video
3.) When in doubt = Keep chunking that stick

One time we were craning a Triple Hemlock off a hill down to the Road. We already had one stick down on the road and we had the road partially coned off.
Next thing I see is a mom, with child in stroller, demanding she pass thru as this was her daily routine.
Had to yell her away - she went and called cops. By the time they got there we were done.

#1 RULE - Have personnel watching the drop zone for unwanted guests = like cyclists and cars that do not want to stop.

1.) No one should be in or around the drop zone = especially in the direction of felling.
2.) Cut 20'- 25" lengths from wood already on the ground and then build a 'Landing Pad' by laying pieces flat with cut side up/down. Prevents 'rolling logs' as in the video

One time we were craning a Triple Hemlock off a hill down to the Road. We already had one stick down on the road and we had the road partially coned off.
Next thing I see is a mom, with child in stroller, demanding she pass thru as this was her daily routine.
Had to yell her away - she went and called cops. By the time they got there we were done.

#1 RULE - Have personnel watching the drop zone for unwanted guests = like cyclists and cars that do not want to stop.
Good to hear a little sanity. As annoying as it is, people will always breach any kind of cordon that is not reinforced by a person willing to physically stop them. Though, maybe you could build a wall and get Mexico to pay for it? Sorry, couldn't help myself. That was meant as a joke and did not refer to any folliclely? challenged individuals. I have had to physically stop people and it is a sh** experience. I think physically restraining a fully grown adult as they scream obscenities at you would not be pleasant for anyone. Especially when you are doing it for their own safety. Over here, I think if the cops rocked up, it would to be to arrest and charge her.

I was called in by another tree service as expert to assist completion.

I'm not a lineman nor an electrical engineer

Too many questions. It was a saga that related a simple point: bad things can happen, even when all precautions have been exercised.
If you still have questions, go back and read my explanations again. It's all there.
Sorry, you would need to draw me a picture. I have made several attempts to draw such a picture but none of them were able to show that what you described was physically possible. Was the branch and attached line thrown 21 metres from the base of the tree? Or from some other point? I don't believe that was mentioned in any of your posts. That would at least provide me with the distance between the tree and the powerline. If you also included the height of the tree, I would know it's potential fall radius.
"Go ahead! Ask me how you get a rope off a primary wire, tied to a dangling branch. Are YOU going to grab the rope and pull it off?". Is this the kind of question that you are getting upset with me asking?

Does that like suggest that I am forgiven for 'not' insulting certain follicularly? challenged individuals?

Good to hear a little sanity. As annoying as it is, people will always breach any kind of cordon that is not reinforced by a person willing to physically stop them. Though, maybe you could build a wall and get Mexico to pay for it? Sorry, couldn't help myself. That was meant as a joke and did not refer to any folliclely? challenged individuals. I have had to physically stop people and it is a sh** experience. I think physically restraining a fully grown adult as they scream obscenities at you would not be pleasant for anyone. Especially when you are doing it for their own safety. Over here, I think if the cops rocked up, it would to be to arrest and charge her.

This crane job occurred 'unplanned' and was a job that sprouted that very morning/instant. We had no time to notify police for their approval of the job and it was a very short duration for the crane (30 - 45 minutes and done).
This was a private community, of which I am a member, and not a main thoroughfare.
Cop did show up when we were finished and was in more agreement with the nutcase woman then with reality.
She must of had their ears ringing for some time.

This crane job occurred 'unplanned' and was a job that sprouted that very morning/instant. We had no time to notify police for their approval of the job and it was a very short duration for the crane (30 - 45 minutes and done).
This was a private community, of which I am a member, and not a main thoroughfare.
Cop did show up when we were finished and was in more agreement with the nutcase woman then with reality.
She must of had their ears ringing for some time.
Sadly, that tends to occur with highly vocal individuals. People will just agree with them to get them to shut up. Luckily for you, you were finished and could fu** off out of that conversation. Though, if you are both members of the same community, you will probably have to tolerate her 'right' to do whatever she wants to, irrespective of the situation. One of the consequences of your countries belief in 'inalienable rights'.

Sadly, that tends to occur with highly vocal individuals. People will just agree with them to get them to shut up. Luckily for you, you were finished and could fu** off out of that conversation. Though, if you are both members of the same community, you will probably have to tolerate her 'right' to do whatever she wants to, irrespective of the situation. One of the consequences of your countries belief in 'inalienable rights'.
I'm sure that WILL get me in trouble.

She must of had there ears ringing for some time.
A twist would have been that she be arrested for endangering her children. ;)

I plan on people ignoring the warning signs, ropes, etc. installed when I'm doing tree work on land trust and rail trail properties... It's like the sound of the chainsaw creates a zombie apocalypse like reaction in people. They are drawn right into the danger zone while I'm cutting. I work with a cutting partner and you'd think that the physical indicators and him waving people to stop would be enough... nope. This problem is why I cut almost every tree with an open face cut, plunge cut, and trigger. I need the trigger to give me one more chance to make sure no zombies walked or bicycled into the fall zone.

I plan on people ignoring the warning signs, ropes, etc. installed when I'm doing tree work on land trust and rail trail properties... It's like the sound of the chainsaw creates a zombie apocalypse like reaction in people. They are drawn right into the danger zone while I'm cutting. I work with a cutting partner and you'd think that the physical indicators and him waving people to stop would be enough... nope. This problem is why I cut almost every tree with an open face cut, plunge cut, and trigger. I need the trigger to give me one more chance to make sure no zombies walked or bicycled into the fall zone.
Is that two sane people in one country? Must be some kind of record!
You probably realise that it is getting late where I am so my posts should come with a disclaimer to that effect.

That was exactly what I said to the cop - "woman endangering the welfare of her child" and he simmered down and we moved on.

If you don't understand my descriptions up 'til now, then it is likely that you lack any relevant experience at doing tree work. If that is the case, then let me assure you it happened, it was a startling combination of physical forces that had a surprising and dangerous outcome. Think of it as a rogue wave that occurs occasionally in tree work.
I'm not going to offer any more explanations, as the previous ones were adequate for any experienced tree worker to understand who is qualified to debate these kinds of conversations.

No, but you have not asked any questions of that nature.
Ok, please understand that it is quite late over here, but I will attempt to answer that politely.
Would you accept 20 years of experience in the tree industry as sufficient? I might add that 12 of those years were in an aspect of arboriculture that involves significantly more risk than simple felling/dismantling of trees.
I am sorry, but I don't proscribe to your rogue wave theory. If something happens that you didn't even believe possible then you shouldn't be operating in the industry. I have seen all sorts of things I didn't think would occur, but nothing that I didn't believe possible.
I think I will leave it there. You seem to be quite touchy in regards to your belief that nothing should attempt to be learned from accidents when they occur.
"Why is "learning anything" an intrinsic and necessary requirement for you concerning accidents?"

I guess if you want something done properly, you have to do it yourself.

3. STATEMENT OF THE CASE.
Delmer Fladwood stood outside on a City sidewalk to watch as the City’s forestry crew
took the final portion of a large tree trunk to the ground. Teske Aff. ¶ 7. Once only the main
trunk remained, the crew leader, Mr. Teske, then decided whether a crash pad would be used.
Id. at ¶ 5. There are no specific guidelines or policies for the use of crash pads. Kruse Aff. ¶ 3.
The ANSI standards do not require the creation of crash pads, nor do they require protecting the
street at all. Teske Dep. 23, 25. The material to be used in a crash pad are also not addressed by
ANSI standards. Teske Dep. 23, 25. But the use of crash pads is an option if it is deemed
appropriate by the crew leader to protect a surface. Kruse Aff. ¶ 3. Mr. Teske directed his
forestry crew to create a crash pad made of large, heavy branches from the downed tree to absorb
the impact of the falling trunk. Teske Aff. ¶ 6.
The forestry crew constantly monitored the work zone throughout the day and kept
people outside of the work zone by telling them to stand back if they were too close. Smith Dep.
14-15; Perkins Dep. Ex. 4, at 5-7. Before the main trunk was dropped, the City’s forestry crew
leader ensured that the bystanders, including Mr. Fladwood, were in a safe location. He took
into consideration many factors including the location and angle of the tree, the weather, the
equipment available to the crew, and the safety of the crew and bystanders. Teske Aff. ¶ 4.
Unfortunately, when the tree trunk landed on the crash pad, one of the large branches
shot out toward the crew leader and Mr. Fladwood. Teske Dep. 19, 28. The branch struck and
severely injured Mr. Fladwood. Mr. Fladwood and his wife initiated this lawsuit alleging that
the City was negligent in using a crash pad made from large, heavy branches and by not asking Mr. Fladwood to stand in different location. Complt. ¶ 62. The district court found that the precise governmental conduct at issue that was protected by official immunity was (1) the crew leader’s decision whether to use a crash pad and how it should be constructed, and (2) the crew leader’s determination as to where bystanders should be allowed to stand outside the safe work zone. Add. 12-15. The Court of Appeals majority decision reversed and found that the overarching ministerial duty of taking down a tree was the governmental conduct at issue and thus, official immunity did not apply. Add. 1-7. The dissenting opinion, however, stated that following the Supreme Court precedent for official immunity analysis by identifying the precise governmental conduct at issue leads to the conclusion that the conduct at issue was discretionary in nature and thus, vicarious official immunity protects the City of St. Paul from liability for the actions of its forestry crew leader. Add. 8-11.

I guess if you want something done properly, you have to do it yourself.

3. STATEMENT OF THE CASE.
Delmer Fladwood stood outside on a City sidewalk to watch as the City’s forestry crew
took the final portion of a large tree trunk to the ground. Teske Aff. ¶ 7. Once only the main
trunk remained, the crew leader, Mr. Teske, then decided whether a crash pad would be used.
Id. at ¶ 5. There are no specific guidelines or policies for the use of crash pads. Kruse Aff. ¶ 3.
The ANSI standards do not require the creation of crash pads, nor do they require protecting the
street at all. Teske Dep. 23, 25. The material to be used in a crash pad are also not addressed by
ANSI standards. Teske Dep. 23, 25. But the use of crash pads is an option if it is deemed
appropriate by the crew leader to protect a surface. Kruse Aff. ¶ 3. Mr. Teske directed his
forestry crew to create a crash pad made of large, heavy branches from the downed tree to absorb
the impact of the falling trunk. Teske Aff. ¶ 6.
The forestry crew constantly monitored the work zone throughout the day and kept
people outside of the work zone by telling them to stand back if they were too close. Smith Dep.
14-15; Perkins Dep. Ex. 4, at 5-7. Before the main trunk was dropped, the City’s forestry crew
leader ensured that the bystanders, including Mr. Fladwood, were in a safe location. He took
into consideration many factors including the location and angle of the tree, the weather, the
equipment available to the crew, and the safety of the crew and bystanders. Teske Aff. ¶ 4.
Unfortunately, when the tree trunk landed on the crash pad, one of the large branches
shot out toward the crew leader and Mr. Fladwood. Teske Dep. 19, 28. The branch struck and
severely injured Mr. Fladwood. Mr. Fladwood and his wife initiated this lawsuit alleging that
the City was negligent in using a crash pad made from large, heavy branches and by not asking Mr. Fladwood to stand in different location. Complt. ¶ 62. The district court found that the precise governmental conduct at issue that was protected by official immunity was (1) the crew leader’s decision whether to use a crash pad and how it should be constructed, and (2) the crew leader’s determination as to where bystanders should be allowed to stand outside the safe work zone. Add. 12-15. The Court of Appeals majority decision reversed and found that the overarching ministerial duty of taking down a tree was the governmental conduct at issue and thus, official immunity did not apply. Add. 1-7. The dissenting opinion, however, stated that following the Supreme Court precedent for official immunity analysis by identifying the precise governmental conduct at issue leads to the conclusion that the conduct at issue was discretionary in nature and thus, vicarious official immunity protects the City of St. Paul from liability for the actions of its forestry crew leader. Add. 8-11.
U N P U B L I S H E D O P I N I O N
KIRK, Judge Appellant, Delmer V. Fladwood, was seriously injured by a log that hit him during a City of St. Paul tree-removal project. The district court granted summary judgment in favor of respondent, City of St. Paul, on the basis of vicarious official immunity. Fladwood contends that the district court erred by granting summary judgment because the act of removing a tree is a ministerial duty, not a discretionary duty. We reverse and remand. FACTS In January 2013, the City of St. Paul sent its forestry crew to remove a tree at the corner of Randolph Ave. and Victoria St., across the street from the Spot Bar. The crew removed the top portion of the tree and planned to fell the remaining trunk into the street. The crew leader decided to use logs from the top portion of the tree, each weighing several hundred pounds, to establish a “crash pad” for the trunk. A crash pad is a pile of logs placed to cushion a tree’s fall in order to prevent damage to streets and sidewalks. The crew routinely used crash pads at the time the tree was removed. The crew leader believed that a crash pad was necessary to protect the street, and the crew constructed the crash pad in the middle of the street where they expected the tree’s remaining trunk to fall. Several bystanders watched as the forestry crew removed the tree. American National Standards Institute tree-removal standards, which the City of St. Paul has adopted, require bystanders to remain outside of a safe-work zone when a tree is removed. The safework zone extends to a radius of twice the height of a tree when a tree is removed. The crew is responsible for keeping bystanders outside of the safe-work zone. The tree in this case was approximately 27 feet tall when it was removed, thus the safe-work zone extended 54 feet from the base of the tree. Fladwood was at the Spot Bar for drinks with friends and had stepped outside just before the tree fell. He was standing behind the crew leader and outside of the safe-work zone. The crew leader knew Fladwood was behind him and outside of the safe-work zone, and did not ask Fladwood to move further away because he believed Fladwood was in a safe place. The trunk fell onto the crash pad as expected. But a large log unexpectedly shot out from the crash pad, striking both the crew leader and Fladwood and knocking them to the ground. Although the log did not injure the crew leader, it seriously injured Fladwood. Fladwood was taken to the hospital, where he underwent emergency surgery to repair an artery in his leg. Fladwood spent more than three months in the hospital and underwent five surgeries. In October 2014, Fladwood sued the City of St. Paul alleging negligence. The City of St. Paul moved for summary judgment, arguing that vicarious official immunity bars Fladwood’s claim. The district court granted the City of St. Paul’s motion for summary judgment, concluding that vicarious official immunity applies because the crew leader’s decisions to construct the crash pad and to refrain from moving Fladwood any further from the safe-work zone involved judgment and discretion. Fladwood appeals.

U N P U B L I S H E D O P I N I O N
KIRK, Judge Appellant, Delmer V. Fladwood, was seriously injured by a log that hit him during a City of St. Paul tree-removal project. The district court granted summary judgment in favor of respondent, City of St. Paul, on the basis of vicarious official immunity. Fladwood contends that the district court erred by granting summary judgment because the act of removing a tree is a ministerial duty, not a discretionary duty. We reverse and remand. FACTS In January 2013, the City of St. Paul sent its forestry crew to remove a tree at the corner of Randolph Ave. and Victoria St., across the street from the Spot Bar. The crew removed the top portion of the tree and planned to fell the remaining trunk into the street. The crew leader decided to use logs from the top portion of the tree, each weighing several hundred pounds, to establish a “crash pad” for the trunk. A crash pad is a pile of logs placed to cushion a tree’s fall in order to prevent damage to streets and sidewalks. The crew routinely used crash pads at the time the tree was removed. The crew leader believed that a crash pad was necessary to protect the street, and the crew constructed the crash pad in the middle of the street where they expected the tree’s remaining trunk to fall. Several bystanders watched as the forestry crew removed the tree. American National Standards Institute tree-removal standards, which the City of St. Paul has adopted, require bystanders to remain outside of a safe-work zone when a tree is removed. The safework zone extends to a radius of twice the height of a tree when a tree is removed. The crew is responsible for keeping bystanders outside of the safe-work zone. The tree in this case was approximately 27 feet tall when it was removed, thus the safe-work zone extended 54 feet from the base of the tree. Fladwood was at the Spot Bar for drinks with friends and had stepped outside just before the tree fell. He was standing behind the crew leader and outside of the safe-work zone. The crew leader knew Fladwood was behind him and outside of the safe-work zone, and did not ask Fladwood to move further away because he believed Fladwood was in a safe place. The trunk fell onto the crash pad as expected. But a large log unexpectedly shot out from the crash pad, striking both the crew leader and Fladwood and knocking them to the ground. Although the log did not injure the crew leader, it seriously injured Fladwood. Fladwood was taken to the hospital, where he underwent emergency surgery to repair an artery in his leg. Fladwood spent more than three months in the hospital and underwent five surgeries. In October 2014, Fladwood sued the City of St. Paul alleging negligence. The City of St. Paul moved for summary judgment, arguing that vicarious official immunity bars Fladwood’s claim. The district court granted the City of St. Paul’s motion for summary judgment, concluding that vicarious official immunity applies because the crew leader’s decisions to construct the crash pad and to refrain from moving Fladwood any further from the safe-work zone involved judgment and discretion. Fladwood appeals.
D E C I S I O N On appeal from summary judgment, we review de novo whether there are any genuine issues of material fact and whether the district court erred in applying the law. Ruiz v. 1st Fid. Loan Servicing, LLC, 829 N.W.2d 53, 56 (Minn. 2013). “We view the evidence in the light most favorable to the party against whom summary judgment was granted.” STAR Ctrs., Inc. v. Faegre & Benson, L.L.P., 644 N.W.2d 72, 76-77 (Minn. 2002). A genuine issue of material fact exists when there is sufficient evidence that could lead a rational trier of fact to find for the nonmoving party. DLH, Inc. v. Russ, 566 N.W.2d 60, 69 (Minn. 1997). The doctrine of official immunity protects public officials against personal liability for discretionary conduct unless the public official is guilty of a willful or malicious wrong. Vassallo ex rel. Brown v. Majeski, 842 N.W.2d 456, 462 (Minn. 2014). The purpose of the doctrine is to “enable public employees to perform their duties without fear of personal liability that might inhibit the exercise of their independent judgment.” Id. The doctrine “must be narrowly construed in light of the fact that it is an exception to the general rule of governmental liability.” Cairl v. State, 323 N.W.2d 20, 23 (Minn. 1982) (quotations omitted). A government entity may claim vicarious official immunity for the conduct of its public officials when the official’s conduct requires judgment or discretion, even at an operational level. Vassallo, 842 N.W.2d at 462; Schroeder v. St. Louis County, 708 N.W.2d 497, 508 (Minn. 2006). Examining whether official immunity applies requires the district court to identify the conduct at issue and then to determine whether the conduct is discretionary or ministerial. Vassallo, 842 N.W.2d at 462. We apply a de novo standard of review to a district court’s determination that official immunity applies. Id. We begin by identifying the conduct at issue. Fladwood argues that the conduct at issue is the “overall act” of “cutting down a tree.” The City of St. Paul contends that the conduct at issue includes the crew’s (1) decision to construct a crash pad and (2) decisions regarding where bystanders could stand outside of the safe-work zone. The supreme court’s opinion in Williamson v. Cain, 310 Minn. 59, 245 N.W.2d 242 (1976), is instructive in identifying the conduct at issue. In Williamson, the supreme court considered how to characterize the conduct of state employees tasked with removing a house. 310 Minn. at 60-61, 245 N.W.2d at 243-44. Although the court acknowledged that removing a house involves many individual discretionary decisions, the court characterized the conduct at issue as the “simple and definite,” overall task of “remov[ing] a house.” Id. at 61, 245 N.W.2d at 244. This case is analogous to Williamson. Here, as in Williamson, the crew faced many individual discretionary decisions in determining how to remove the tree. But the crew’s overall task was “simple and definite,” to remove the tree. See id. For this reason, we conclude that the overall task of removing a tree is the appropriate characterization of the conduct at issue. We next consider whether the conduct at issue is discretionary or ministerial. Discretionary conduct involves “individual professional judgment that necessarily reflects the professional goal and factors of a situation.” Vassallo, 842 N.W.2d at 462 (quotations omitted). Ministerial conduct “is absolute, certain, and imperative, involving merely the execution of a specific duty arising from fixed and designated facts.” Id. (quotations omitted).1 The City of St. Paul argues that the conduct at issue is discretionary because removing a tree involves discretionary decisions based on the forestry crew’s professional judgment. But the mere fact that conduct requires some discretionary decision-making does not render the entire act to be discretionary. See Cairl, 323 N.W.2d at 23 (“[A]lmost every act involves some measure of discretion, and yet undoubtedly not every act of government is entitled to discretionary immunity.”); Williamson, 310 Minn. at 61, 245 N.W.2d at 244 (noting “almost any act involves some measure of freedom of choice” but that did “not entitle [the officials] to immunity from suit”). Further, “[o]fficial immunity typically protects the conduct of public officials responding to uncertain circumstances that require the weighing of competing values on the grounds that these circumstances offer little time for reflection and often involve incomplete and confusing information such that the situation requires the exercise of significant, independent judgment and discretion.” Shariss v. City of Bloomington, 852 N.W.2d 278, 282 (Minn. App. 2014) (quotations omitted). Minnesota courts are more likely to find official immunity in cases involving time pressure and quick decisions and less likely to find immunity in cases where public officials have ample time for consideration. Compare Vassallo, 842 N.W.2d at 462 (noting immunity protects police officers responding to emergencies because there is “little time for reflection”), with Gleason v. Metropolitan Council Transit Operations, 582 N.W.2d 216, 220 (Minn. 1998) (“Nothing about that decision requires the kind of split-second decision-making involved in a police officer deciding, for instance, whether to begin or continue a high-speed chase.”). Viewing the facts in the light most favorable to Fladwood, we conclude that the conduct in this case was ministerial. A forestry supervisor compiled a list of trees for the crew to remove, which included the tree at issue. The crew met to formulate a plan before removing the tree and had plenty of time to consider whether to use a crash pad, where to place the crash pad, and where to position bystanders before letting the tree fall. The crew’s task to remove the tree was “absolute, certain, and imperative,” requiring “merely the execution of [that] specific duty.” Vassallo, 842 N.W.2d at 462 (quotations omitted). Hence, the City of St. Paul is not protected by vicarious official immunity and the district court erred by granting summary judgment on that basis. Reversed and remanded.

Latest posts

Back