Burls! Burls! Burls!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IgnatiusJReilly

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This might better be in the turning/carving forum but, since it doesn't really concern either, here goes. Burls. I kind of have a vague idea of what they are- I'm going with "kind of a benign tumor growing on the tree". And I've read that no one knows for sure whether this mutated growth stems from disease, infestation, damage, or a contaminant in the soil, the ground water, or the air in general. So, while I would appreciate a clarification of the preceding, my real question is;

I like to turn and carve burls. I dig the chaotic grain, sometimes almost a fractalesque appearance but they're expensive to buy. I've got access to a sizable wooded property near the VA/WV line which I intend to visit in the near future to hunt the elusive burl. I've seen examples of maple, buckeye, redwood, mahogany, myrtle, cherry, and probably others I've forgotten but is there a particular type of setting that's more prone to burls? Are some species more susceptible to them?

I've also heard that removing the burls- obviously not the ones on the rootball, is actually beneficial for the tree. Is it at least not going to kill it? Am I going to end up having to bring the tree down?

And, lastly, if a tree falls in the forest and I'm wearing earplugs, does it still make a sound?

Thanks, Gordon.

This might better be in the turning/carving forum but, since it doesn't really concern either, here goes. Burls. I kind of have a vague idea of what they are- I'm going with "kind of a benign tumor growing on the tree". And I've read that no one knows for sure whether this mutated growth stems from disease, infestation, damage, or a contaminant in the soil, the ground water, or the air in general. So, while I would appreciate a clarification of the preceding, my real question is;

I like to turn and carve burls. I dig the chaotic grain, sometimes almost a fractalesque appearance but they're expensive to buy. I've got access to a sizable wooded property near the VA/WV line which I intend to visit in the near future to hunt the elusive burl. I've seen examples of maple, buckeye, redwood, mahogany, myrtle, cherry, and probably others I've forgotten but is there a particular type of setting that's more prone to burls? Are some species more susceptible to them?

I've also heard that removing the burls- obviously not the ones on the rootball, is actually beneficial for the tree. Is it at least not going to kill it? Am I going to end up having to bring the tree down?

And, lastly, if a tree falls in the forest and I'm wearing earplugs, does it still make a sound?

Thanks, Gordon.

The only question I can answer is the last one. It doesn't make a sound until it strikes an eardrum and activates the hairs in the cochlea. Up until then, it just creates disturbances in the air.

I have seen a lot of wild cherry burls in this area, I think a bacteria causes them. If there is one on a branch, and you cut the branch off you won't do too much damage to the tree, but for the most of what I have seen with cherry, it affects the whole trunk, so figure on taking the tree down.:chainsaw:

wild cherry here get blackknot gall not burls. kinda cruddy but it can be turned.

Taking them off the trunk will rot the tree and destabilize it in possibly a short time. Also ruins timber value. Kind of like killing an elephant for its tusks. Not a good idea unless you are harvesting the tree.

Turning odd forks can make beautiful works of art; widen your palette please?

wild cherry here get blackknot gall not burls. kinda cruddy but it can be turned.

Taking them off the trunk will rot the tree and destabilize it in possibly a short time. Also ruins timber value. Kind of like killing an elephant for its tusks. Not a good idea unless you are harvesting the tree.

Oh, no, if it was going to end up damaging a tree to be left standing, I wouldn't take it. This is all hypothetical- at least until I clear some time to load the van.

Honest to pete! Really? You can turn blackknot gall??? I would not have thought of that. How long does it stay intact? Or do you then coat it with some kind of resin? Really interesting.

That is exactly what I would have thought. Not a good idea to slice a piece vertically off a tree...basically a large flush cut. Further, if the burl is "kind of like a benign tumor" and benign implies nonharmful, why would removing it be beneficial to the tree when you have to harm the tree in harvesting the burl?

Yes, there are many aspects of the tree that naturally present unique woodworking challenges.

Around here we see burls on silver maples, Norway maples, box elder, black locust, birch (there is a DOOZIE downtown). That's just the residential trees...As for circumstances precipitating burls...we have trees in like situations with no burls right next to trees heavily laden with them...so no answer there.

As for hearing the tree fall? You bet your sweet bippy you'll hear it and feel it.

Sylvia

Last edited:
Back