burn temperature

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lignator

Swamp Yankee
Reaction score
Hi all

whats the max burn temperature you take your stove to? when do you start to get concerned? I measure my temp on the front of the stove in the top left corner above the door. If I hit a temp of 650F that stove is really cooking. 700F is too hot for me! i have a pacific energy pacific insert.

What does the manual say about max burn. PE doesn't say anything. Lopi I believe says 700 max. Seems like a 700* outer stove wall would be plenty hot. If it's that hot on the outside then how hot is it on the inside. Seems like that could do some damage t o steel parts and at the very least would shorten the life of parts if not the entire thing. We don't have a thermometer on the stove or pipe, it broke and haven't replaced it. So we just go with common sense(least common of all the senses) at watch close until it gets turned down.

Owl

On my Pacific stoves I use the probe type thermometers that register inside the stove pipe. The normal range goes from 400-900F. On a fresh load of wood I'll take mine to 800 and 900F while cutting back the draft, then let it burn slow where it'll eventually hover at 400F.
Your numbers will be different when readings are taken from the stove top but I believe you're in the upper end yet still safe.

I reckon it all depends on the stove.

I routinely hit 700 on fresh reloads once completely shut down and secondaries are roaring. This is where my stove likes to cruise at.

Closer to 800 and I get worried/ babysit the stove and curse myself for taking too long to reduce the primary air.

I run a Jotul Rockland insert.

Side note, I use the magnetic stove top thermometer, and damn thing is pretty accurate compared to IR gun.

Side note, I use the magnetic stove top thermometer, and damn thing is pretty accurate compared to IR gun.

Second this: What you measure with and where you do it are key. The IR guns are a great idea to double check. BTW I learned this the hard way - not with woodstove, but on my smoker and more times than I care to admit w/old cars & hot rodded engines.

I have one of the magnetic probe thermometers on my Quadfire for measuring flue temp. When the stove gets a good burn going, I run it up to about 600, once I get a nice bed of coals, I throttle it back to about 400. Anything much hotter than that just seems to send the heat out the chimney.

On my Pacific stoves I use the probe type thermometers that register inside the stove pipe. The normal range goes from 400-900F. On a fresh load of wood I'll take mine to 800 and 900F while cutting back the draft, then let it burn slow where it'll eventually hover at 400F.
Your numbers will be different when readings are taken from the stove top but I believe you're in the upper end yet still safe.

Yep, same with my Yukon-Eagle Klondike furnace. I take it up to 800 or 900deg when firing it up and establishing a good coal bed, then throttle it back to run at about 400degF.

Back