Burn up ms261c value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlproincky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all, my first post here but I've been lurking for years.
The neighbor has this saw he told me to take a look at, called and told him the bad news today, dealer says $350 in parts, he said he'll think about it but I think I'll end up buying it from him.
What's it worth???
Thanks in advance.20240416_233923.jpg

First question would be, what caused it ? If straight gassed, pretty straight forward.
Other problems, who knows. I could likely get it back running for $50 and my time if just straight gassed.
I have one and that was the case.

It's really not worth much of anything more than the bar and chain. Give him $50 to be nice.

First, check whether the air filter is in good shape (not torn, correctly attached). If it isn't, then you already know what the problem was, and the damage is probably just cylinder and piston.

If you are willing to go with an after-market (meaning: Chinese made) cylinder and piston, it can be fixed for about $100. Some of the Chinese heads seem to work great; others self-destruct within days or weeks with normal use. Our Dollar 7900 had one of each, and the current head has worked fabulously for about 2 years.

Given that, the saw is probably worth $100 less than it would in good running condition. New, the MS261C runs about $680, so I would bet 2/3 of that.

Now whether you want to repair it and keep it for yourself, or repair it for your neighbor, or just throw it away, or sell it broken and let someone else do the work ... tough choice.

He said no straight gas, he's been running 93 octane and stihl oil, but l know he has run it dull.
I price oem p/c, rings and bearings
I've rebuilt 2 saws already so if I buy it I'll fix it up for our tree service.
He said he paid $75 for the bar 3 days ago and the chain looks new but dull air filter looks good as well

First question would be, what caused it ? If straight gassed, pretty straight forward.
Other problems, who knows. I could likely get it back running for $50 and my time if just straight gassed.
I have one and that was the case.

It's really not worth much of anything more than the bar and chain. Give him $50 to be nice.
How would you get it running for $50??

How would you get it running for $50??
Look for piston and cylinder kits:
https://www.sawsalvage.co/search?q=ms261

Because I've posted a link to AM parts I'll note that builders have said go with OEM vs. aftermarket because the quality on most aftermarket is usually "messed up," getting a cylinder with the ports in the correct locations is hit-or-miss. Disclaimer: I'm not a saw builder, nor do I know what works best for you.

Well, it is scoring. But, it is aluminum. The plating on the cylinder is nikasil. The aluminum is much softer and comes off without damaging the plating, usually.
So, if you can get that off without screwing up the plating , put a new piston in and you have a like new saw.
As far as the top end goes anyway.

Lot of arguments about getting the aluminum out. I use Muratic acid and a Q tip until I get tired of that. Then I use a Dremel Tool and an 80 grit flapper or whatever you call it sandpaper head and get whatever else I can see out. Then I use a ball hone with WD-40 on it for maybe 3 seconds one way and three seconds the other and see what I have.
Then , I run it through the dishwasher.

But, that's just me.

Getting back to the original question. You can likely make a good saw out of it.
But, if you are honest and tell a buyer that it is a rebuilt burnt up saw you will be hard pressed to make it worth your trouble as far as resell.
Thanks for the input, I'll tell him his options.
If I buy it I'll keep it.

H
Think I got it now, got it as smooth as I could with what I have.
Thanks all for the input. View attachment 1170566

Hmmm, judging from your photos and use of a dremel, I suspect you have gone through the plating and/or reshaped the cylinder into an oval rather than a circle. This would make it difficult for a new piston to seal.

You can check this with reference to the unscored intake side of the old piston.

H

Hmmm, judging from your photos and use of a dremel, I suspect you have gone through the plating and/or reshaped the cylinder into an oval rather than a circle. This would make it difficult for a new piston to seal.

You can check this with reference to the unscored intake side of the old piston.
That's what I was worried about, I used a very fine sandpaper head and then used 400 grit sandpaper by hand, but I'll check the roundness.
Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back