burning locoust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its very rare to cut into a locust tree around here and not see ants. They like to hollow them out, especially the dead trees. Even then I split the rounds, knock them out and stack it. I've known people to pile the wood and burn it because of ants.

Ants didnt bother me, they burn too! :greenchainsaw:

Take all you can get just don't wait to long to cut it or it will be like trying to cut concrete. The plus side is it burns really hot and leaves really large coal chunks.

Every one raves about locust. I hate it. Unless you can stack it loosely in a single row out in the sun & wind, it does NOT season easily. With the new EPA stoves, the number one problem that people seem to complain about is excessive buildup of coals. Now you are adding in a wood noted for the coals that are produced.

When I was burning the locust I could watch ( & feel ) the temp inside my house dropping.That was due to the long coaling stage. With loads of coals & no secondary burn going on, the stove puts out very little heat. IF I still had my old Russo I would probably love the stuff.
Al

If thats the case with locust then mix in some softwood to help the coaling. You will still get a longer burn, but less coals. I know when it comes to the coals, they still contain a good amount of btus when the air is fed to em. Having that coaling property makes locust good for overnight burning. If I get too many coals in our furnace, I'll grab some smaller splits of softwood. Throw them on top and open the damper. Good heat and it will burn them down.

Every one raves about locust. I hate it. Unless you can stack it loosely in a single row out in the sun & wind, it does NOT season easily. With the new EPA stoves, the number one problem that people seem to complain about is excessive buildup of coals. Now you are adding in a wood noted for the coals that are produced.

When I was burning the locust I could watch ( & feel ) the temp inside my house dropping.That was due to the long coaling stage. With loads of coals & no secondary burn going on, the stove puts out very little heat. IF I still had my old Russo I would probably love the stuff.
Al
i have heard this from people also, with new stoves. Which is great for me!! I like to keep locust around, for the coldiest part of winter, which would be now. I mix also.

Does these new stoves draw their air from outside? somebody was tellin me about one the other day. I guess this would be good for a sealed-up house, that way it don't burn-up all the oxygen inside?

Al

Easy answer to that: Stop using those stupid stoves! :laugh:

My old Fisher loves the stuff! :cheers:

Al

I can relate, but wouldn't give up on locust. It does seem to need a little more air than, say, oak in my EPA insert. It does produce large coals which is fine for overnight but not as good during the day when you're trying to keep the house temp up. With my insert, I've found that 2-year seasoned locust that burns easily in my big, drafty Buck Stove straight from the outside stacks still needs a couple of days inside the house to shed whatever residual dampness it has before it will burn enthusiastically. The new insert also likes smaller splits. The coaling issue is helped, as noted above, by having a mix. With these tiny fireboxes on EPA stoves we're going to have issues one way or another, either dealing with coals from long-burning wood or having to load it every whipstitch.

Jack

Yep. Great wood. It does leave big coals. Took me a while to learn to deal with them. As stated before, mix another wood with the coals when they get piled up or just give the stove lots of extra air toward the end of the burn cycle. And make sure to stir the coals!

Burn lots of it here, only problem around here is if it isn't black or yellow locust...then it's honey....and you'll need a hatchet to skim off all the briars, but it is just as good.

Honey Locust thorns.....
attachment.php

had a chance to load up on free locust but turned it down due to the hassles of dealing with all the thorns...

how do you folks that burn locust deal with all the thorns?

Burn lots of it here, only problem around here is if it isn't black or yellow locust...then it's honey....and you'll need a hatchet to skim off all the briars, but it is just as good.

Honey Locust thorns.....
attachment.php

Black locust is basically thorn free when its a semi mature tree. The young trees contain thorns, and the nice tiny brances contain them also. I don't know if I would deal with a tree if it had thorns like that. I know one good thing a black locust is good for is flat tires. They like to drop little dead twigs every chance they get. If you don't get them they will eat tires like crazy. Tends to piss you off.

had a chance to load up on free locust but turned it down due to the hassles of dealing with all the thorns...

Black locust only has thorns (smallones) on first year wood. They may be small but they really smart. another drawback is the splinters you pick up. They are tiny and tend to go straight in so you can't pull em out.

Yes, the coaling is a problem in my stove also and it is pre-epa. This is the first season I burned any significant amount of it and did find that mixing my Willow in when it is down to coals makes a big difference...enough so that I might have to go back to cutting Willow just for that purpos :)

Harry K

1a. Hedge
1b. Black locust

Gotta a lot of hedge where I live. Not good for an open fireplace, does alot of popping and crackin. If there was any wood I would burn green, it would be hedge. I've split it both ways and honestly, I cant tell the difference between green and dry.

I have been burning locust limbs for a few weeks in my Woodmaster 4400. I got to a section of my woodpile that is all limbs that were cut into 36" lengths and about 3"-4" in diameter. When I throw in enough to keep the fire going for 12 hours - it leaves a very thick bed of coals. Since the Woodmaster does not have any grate the coals only burn from the top and the ashes smother the coals below - so it takes lots of raking to get them back on top and burned up. The last few days I got into some larger Sharbark Hickory rounds......and I don't have a lot of love for Locust at the moment.

If you furnace/OWB has a grate that will allow the coals to burn up...Locust might work better for you than it does me.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Bum deal, I love Honey Locust, like I said earlier, the thorns just whack right off with a hatchet. I'll take em when nobody else will.
Cut many of them up when I worked for Asplundh, something I learned then...those branches suck running through the chipper. We measured some thorns off of that tree 22 inches long in that picture.

We must have had some sort of parasite in our yellow and black locust around these parts, been cutting a lot around 22 - 30 inch diameter that's been hollow or rotten in the middle, damn shame too.

About all I've burned this year. Hard on chains, splits pretty easy, and burns 24hrs in my OWB. Would burn black locust all the time if I could

Back