Burning painted wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
turnkey4099
That's lame. I'd guess no trash burn barrels either? That's how I take care of the trash here.

Correct. They used to even advertise that they would pay a reward for snitching out a burn barrel use. The law went into effect right after I built the Cadillac of burn "barrels" using concrete block. Even odder, I can have a nice bonfire of 'yard waste" (tree trimmings, etc) right next to it but not one flaming stick can go in the BB.

Harry K

7sleeper

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
As long as you burn it in a wood gasification furnace there is not much to worry about. Should be about 1000-1100°C = >1800°F inside and that should take care of most nasties. Of course metals, f.e. lead, are exempt and will leave the chimney and make the neighbors happy...

7sleeper

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Does anyone know for a fact the lead would go airborne? And what would be the proper way to dispose of the toxic house?
Garbage dump. And yes the lead would go airborne with the asches.

That is the reason why modern garbage incineration plant on large scale require filters although they also burn at over 1000°C = >1800°F. They just have to filter out the metals and other non combustable substances because they just follow the flow of the air. Modern garbage incineration plant's often have four stage filters, 1. elekrto filter, 2. water filter, 3. activ charcoal filter and 4. denitrification system!
So average joe seldom has this sort of equipment in his garden. So I would not burn any painted wood.

Fred Wright

Fred Wright

Addicted to ArboristSite
A house built in the '20s may contain old growth timbers. Old growth lumber is big on the yuppie market right now. I'd check it closely before trashing it.

Add this ol' dog to the "do not recommend" list. Layers of lead based paint is pretty much a given in a house that old. Lead is bad news. You don't want to burn the stuff.

Latest posts