Burning Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes RacerX,

Popple is poplar,,,,or quaking aspen,,,or trembling aspen,,,,or more correctly populus tremuloides.

At least that is what we call it in Northern Michigan. We don't have any other species of poplar in our neck of the woods.

Most people think of it as a junk wood. My Dad is like that, but he is a wood snob.

This spring I am going to cut some to mix with the really good wood that we have to buy in log length. The popple will be free from our land, and burns very well, but doesn't last long. But free is good! In my mind, anything to keep from paying the oil man is money in the bank.

Bob

i've been burning pine, poplar, and basswood since december 1st. past month has been pine mostly. a million tree's are blown over and last summer i took 3 weeks and skid out probably 20 cord.

zero hardwood. heating two houses and double DHW, 45x26x10ft garage, and a 40x50x22ft shop. eats wood, but, for as much as i've been burning, it's still rotting as fast as i can gather and burn it..

my 20 cord of oak and hickory is to remain untouched until......i dunno, until no more softwood?

Yes RacerX,

Popple is poplar,,,,or quaking aspen,,,or trembling aspen,,,,or more correctly populus tremuloides.

At least that is what we call it in Northern Michigan. We don't have any other species of poplar in our neck of the woods.

Most people think of it as a junk wood. My Dad is like that, but he is a wood snob.

This spring I am going to cut some to mix with the really good wood that we have to buy in log length. The popple will be free from our land, and burns very well, but doesn't last long. But free is good! In my mind, anything to keep from paying the oil man is money in the bank.

Bob

Thanks Bob,
Actually I have a few 60' tulip poplars to remove at a friends house this spring. Guess that the wood won't go to waste after all. :)

Hardwoods can cuase creosote just like softwood. Its all about the condition of the wood and the temperature of the fire. If both are good, it doesn't matter what you burn.

:agree2:

I burn jack pine almost exclusively and have never had issues with creosote build-up.

Next season's firewood has been cut, split, and stacked since last year so it will be well-seasoned.

For longer (overnight) burn times I will sometimes throw some birch on, but haven't yet this winter and I still can't complain that I am having to fill up the stove too often.

:cheers:

Around here in Maryland, "Poplar" is also known as "tulip poplar" or "yellow poplar" or "tulip tree". These are all common names for the Liriodendron Tulipifera. While technically a hardwood, it burns like paper once it's dry. it's great for getting some quick heat or taking down a thick bed of coals. Best of all, it makes you feel like superman when you split it! For what it's worth..

Thanks Bob,
Actually I have a few 60' tulip poplars to remove at a friends house this spring. Guess that the wood won't go to waste after all. :)

That tulip poplar is a different animal. I tossed some big chunks in the fireplace and almost melted it, warped the back plate. Now I split it really small and use it to get the fire started. I can't believe how hot those chunks burned.

I burn it all.

Pine does cause more sappy creosote than maple or ash etc..
Even if it is seasoned. That has been my experience.

If the boiler runs more idle the more creosote no matter the wood. But my experience has been more with pine than anything else.

I,ll stick to the hardwoods. The Pine trees are safe in our woods,, I figure some logger will make some good 2X4s out of them someday. :greenchainsaw:

Y'all should try some Western Larch or Doug Fir (which is actually an evergreen). . . That's about as good as wood gets for softwood burning.

My Bro-In-law was born and raised in St. Cloud MN, and grew up burning the good stuff -- Red and White Oak, Ironwood, etc.

He's even stated Fir and Larch are good firewood.

It ain't as bad as you hardwood guys think. Believe you me, if we had hardwoods like that here, we'd be burning it too. But as it sits, it's not native in theses parts. You have to get a 150 year old planted city Maple or something. . . And even then, if you did finagle some Maple from town, you would be shot for burning it. Hardwoods are precious here.

In my previous post I talked about poplar as being "quaking aspen" and in the colder climates such as northern Michigan we know it as such. In warmer climates yellow poplar is a native species. Not the same tree at all.

But curiously they have much the same woodworking strengths and weaknesses. Tulip or yellow poplar has a greenish tinge to it while quaking aspen is almost white except for a brownish color to the heartwood.

As far as burning for firewood they are very similar as well. Light in weight, and burns fast and does not last long, leaving almost no coals at all. I have burned lumber scraps from yellow poplar so I know this. They can be said to be about the same as far as firewood qualities.

Is either poplar a PREMIER firewood? Certainly not!

However they have their place when you have a choice of burning poplar or going cold, or burning fossile fuels. I choose any wood before gas or oil. Haha!

As long as I burn any wood when it is dry and seasoned, creosote is not a problem, just burn a hot fire and all is good.

Pine is similar,,,,,,you just need to feed the fire more often with these species. No problem for me,,,as I need the extra work anyway. Haha!

Burn the good stuff at night for a long lasting fire.

Bob

I love pine because around here it is considered junk so I get alot delivered free just to get rid of it. Probably have about 20 cords from last year. Split it with my saw instead of a splitter, green a 20" round is quite heavy or I am getting weaker.

I'm not proud... I'll burn anything, especially if it is free! We get some pine, some cedar, some elm and mostly oak. I use the creosote powder burner stuff and works great. When cleaning my flue this fall before starting, I ended up with about a cereal bowl of creosote/ashes. I throw in the creosote stuff once a week on a hot fire. Works for me.

Roger

Back