Burning Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodhaven

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I took a drive around an area that was hard hit by a storm late last year and noticed lots of wood still laying in peoples yards. It's mostly pine though which I have heard mixed views on. Is it decent to burn? I know it won't compare to maple, but is it worth taking or should I just leave it?

Every species of wood has its value and its use, including pine. I myself keep several cords of it around for the season, and we use pine almost exclusively to get a hot fire going quickly. it burns very hot when seasoned and dry, but doesnt last long. We shove a half a dozen pine pieces in the stove when we first get home, get up in the morning, and within 20 minutes the living room and kitchen are warm.
Pine has gotten a bad rap from folks who have burned wet and unseasoned pine, unless its fairly dry it will have a tendency to create more cresote in your stove and flue.However, cleaning your flue should be part of your regular home maintenance, no matter what species you burn.I clean my flue every fall, and perform an inspection, and I can tell you that after one winter of burning mostly pine, I had no noticeable increase in cresote over the usual oak, hickory, and ash.
If you have a ready supply, and not a lot of other options, pine will do just fine. Just because it has layed around for a year on the ground does not make it seasoned and dry to burn right now, buck it up, split and stack it, and check it out this fall prior to burning.Lots of check marks on the end, and a dark brown to almost black ends should be a good indication that its dry enough to burn. Start your fire and after ten mintues with the damper wide open go outside and check your chimney.If all you see is a heat vapor and little to no smoke then you should be fine.

It certainly has a value depending on the region your in .

attachment.php

Its OK to burn it but make sure it is seasoned. I burn it when I have some (got some left over which is stored inside).

Nosmo

Every species of wood has its value and its use, including pine. I myself keep several cords of it around for the season, and we use pine almost exclusively to get a hot fire going quickly. it burns very hot when seasoned and dry, but doesnt last long. We shove a half a dozen pine pieces in the stove when we first get home, get up in the morning, and within 20 minutes the living room and kitchen are warm.
Pine has gotten a bad rap from folks who have burned wet and unseasoned pine, unless its fairly dry it will have a tendency to create more cresote in your stove and flue.However, cleaning your flue should be part of your regular home maintenance, no matter what species you burn.I clean my flue every fall, and perform an inspection, and I can tell you that after one winter of burning mostly pine, I had no noticeable increase in cresote over the usual oak, hickory, and ash.
If you have a ready supply, and not a lot of other options, pine will do just fine. Just because it has layed around for a year on the ground does not make it seasoned and dry to burn right now, buck it up, split and stack it, and check it out this fall prior to burning.Lots of check marks on the end, and a dark brown to almost black ends should be a good indication that its dry enough to burn. Start your fire and after ten mintues with the damper wide open go outside and check your chimney.If all you see is a heat vapor and little to no smoke then you should be fine.

I was wondering about the creasote, I will make sure it is seasoned before I burn it.

The creasote is caused by burning to low and slow. Give it some air and get it hot, not over fire, but a bit hotter than a hard wood. I would use it if I had it... You might go through a bit more wood but if you figure that in and stack up a bit more you'll be good!

The last couple of months I only burned pine. The stuff I had popped a lot, and I occasionally got some pitch on my hands, but it burned nice and hot. Not much in the way left over coals though - a stove full was completely consumed in a couple of hours.

Same here I always have a few cords of pine stacked up its great for early fall and early spring also for a quick hot fire first thing when I get home from work. Also makes great kindling.

I love burning Ponderosa Pine.
Burns hot, leaves little to no ashes.
Warning, keep it dry, Pine is a damm sponge, and once it gets watterlogged, very hard to burn.
Let it season for a season (here anyway) and it is great wood.
Easy to split, easy to make kindling out of smells good cutting it. Reminds me of ly log woods days.

I love burning Ponderosa Pine.
Burns hot, leaves little to no ashes.
Warning, keep it dry, Pine is a damm sponge, and once it gets watterlogged, very hard to burn.
Let it season for a season (here anyway) and it is great wood.
Easy to split, easy to make kindling out of smells good cutting it. Reminds me of ly log woods days.

I'd say it's the worst water sponge of all the pines.

Latest posts

Back