Burning Pine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pine is great...around here nobody wants it and will pay to have it hauled away. On Sunday I landed a $500 job of hauling about 6 cords of yellow pine from a guys property about 10 miles away. It's all on the ground, all the limbs are gone and about half of it is cut up in fireplace length. Nothing is bigger than 18" in diameter. So this guy is paying me to heat my house....yes, pine is great!

Pine is great...around here nobody wants it and will pay to have it hauled away. On Sunday I landed a $500 job of hauling about 6 cords of yellow pine from a guys property about 10 miles away. It's all on the ground, all the limbs are gone and about half of it is cut up in fireplace length. Nothing is bigger than 18" in diameter. So this guy is paying me to heat my house....yes, pine is great!
Nice score for you! Amazing that so many people still reject pine!

Awesome I'm gunna drop and drag out some stump seasoned pines in the morning, so quick burning stuff sound like just what I need to mix in with the elm that burns for 10 hours haha. Heres my sweet lawn skidder, shes dragged a 18" butt oak log 14' long log out of the fairly knarly trail I have out through my property. Got 42 pounds of ballast in each tire and about 85 pounds of weight rigged on the back. Plus my 210 and usually a saw, maybe 12 more pounds.

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk
f34bfaacf5269a9c45836dfa60fd52ec.jpg
3955840caaabe51eb92f226092696b7b.jpg

Wow - your transmission must be more rugged than the one in my Deere 135.

Just think of what you could pull out of the woods with using an arch. And chains on the tires. :)

If noone else has told you, You suck!!

can anyone tell me if burning pine will reduce or negatively affect the cat converter on an epa stove. i was told it would clog the converter. thanks.

Wow - your transmission must be more rugged than the one in my Deere 135.

Just think of what you could pull out of the woods with using an arch. And chains on the tires. :)
Haha it makes noises sometimes but keeps going. I'm going to tear the transaxle apart soon and lock it and I have a buddy that has a set of chains for me I have to go pick up. Then it should pull how I want.

Haha it makes noises sometimes but keeps going. I'm going to tear the transaxle apart soon and lock it and I have a buddy that has a set of chains for me I have to go pick up. Then it should pull how I want.

As long as you want it to go straight... locked rear ends and chains equals zero steering unless you add rib front tires and a bunch of weight on the front axle

As long as you want it to go straight... locked rear ends and chains equals zero steering unless you add rib front tires and a bunch of weight on the front axle
I am going to add 40-50 pounds to the front, and in the summer for mowing I'll take the weight off the back and leave the front so I can still turn when I'm mowing.

My JD LA130 does quite a bit more then I thought it would when I bought it. Still, being able to lock the rear wheels would be nice for plowing. What's involved in locking the rears?

I'll burn about anything. Here there is lots of Cotton Wood, that you can't give away. I had some big ones on my property that I had to drop and did burn. Too much ash, and I'm glad it is all gone.
Have a giant cottonwood came down just can't make myself do all that work.

Will probably just cut out what lays across an old trail through the slew.
Was used to access a potato cellar.

Trail goes back to horse powered farming and early tractors. I think the keystone is dated 1904 or 5.

Trail comes down hill from the field to the cellar. Then crosses the slew splits toward the house or loops around back to the field.

All makes sense with horses.

Awesome I'm gunna drop and drag out some stump seasoned pines in the morning, so quick burning stuff sound like just what I need to mix in with the elm that burns for 10 hours haha. Heres my sweet lawn skidder, shes dragged a 18" butt oak log 14' long log out of the fairly knarly trail I have out through my property. Got 42 pounds of ballast in each tire and about 85 pounds of weight rigged on the back. Plus my 210 and usually a saw, maybe 12 more pounds.

f34bfaacf5269a9c45836dfa60fd52ec.jpg
3955840caaabe51eb92f226092696b7b.jpg
If these are 18" diameter you need a new tape measure, or new glasses. More like 18cm...lol

It was a good thing I dropped them. It was rotting from the inside. The bad stuff burned fine out in the open space. They are nice looking trees in the spring and summer (hate the leaves) but they look nice on my neighbors property. :)

Trail goes back to horse powered farming and early tractors. I think the keystone is dated 1904 or 5.

Trail comes down hill from the field to the cellar. Then crosses the slew splits toward the house or loops around back to the field.

The Cottonwood that we burned at our Boathouse on the Columbia was smaller stuff, generally 14" or smaller, the river would erode the bank, during winter high water, and the trees would fall with the root ball still up the embankment, and just the tops on the beach, after a nice dry, hot summer of being suspended, they would dry out nicely. By Late August or early September, we would take the boat over to the Islands and cut off the tops and root balls, and tow the trunks back to the moorage, pull them up on to the dock, and cut them very near to where we would split and stack them either on the front or side deck of the boathouse, it was actually a lot of fun.

The Cottonwoods that fell in our neighborhood were larger though, up to 32" diameter, and those were a lot more work to split, definitely splitter work, not hand splitting like the smaller stuff. The neighborhood trees were not only larger, but fell during a VERY WET winter, and so were MUCH heavier to handle, but split a bit smaller and cross stacked for max air flow, by the end of a very HOT and Dry summer, burned well for early winter firewood. Cottonwood is far from my first choice in firewood, but if free and convenient, it will heat the house. The neighborhood trees were not only free and convenient, but if we didn't take them, the HOA would have had to PAY to have them removed, which in the end, the neighbors and I pay the HOA fees, which, either would have added to the HOA fees, or something else would have been deferred, so it was in my own interest to help remove them, and heated the house, Win/Win, but I don't go far, or PAY for Cottonwood.

Doug

I'll burn about anything. Here there is lots of Cotton Wood, that you can't give away. I had some big ones on my property that I had to drop and did burn. Too much ash, and I'm glad it is all gone.

I don't recall having all that much ash from the Cottonwood that we burned, are you leaving the bark on? On the larger stuff, with the thicker bark, we use the splitter to knock the bark off, it is amazing just how much moisture the bark will hold in. With the bark removed, it seasons much faster, and not as much ash. On the smaller stuff, the bark was pretty thin, and we didn't bother with removing it.

Doug

I don't recall having all that much ash from the Cottonwood that we burned, are you leaving the bark on?

Yup! If the bark doesn't fall off, it gets burned. Good to know, that the bark was most of the problem. I might have to cut up some cotton wood next year and verify this. The cotton woods around here become monster trees before they find their way to the ground. And now that I have my splitter that will go a long way in processing them for heat. Until they are fully seasoned, with all that moisture, they are almost as tough as a truck tire to split by hand.

Latest posts

Back