Burning Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, what a waste.:cry: Apple & Cherry along with Apricot should be reserved strictly for smoking poultry.:cheers:

Andy

It's possible to have it both ways. We cook/heat with an old cookstove like the kind grammy used to have. Not the most effecient, but they throw off a good amount of heat and keep us from having to use the gas range/oven.

The oven is to the right of the firebox and the combusted fuel passes over and around the oven. A little smoke does get in the oven itself and imparts a wonderful flavor. We save our apple for Thanksgiving for when we cook our turkey in that cast iron behemoth. :clap: :cheers:

In fact was out scouting wood today, for next spring or summers cutting and someone had got one of the trees that I had my eye on. The tree probably had two cords in it, and was right next to the road. Oh, well.

Out my way, that's called 'woodboogerin.' Sounds like you got outboogged.

Happens to the best of us. There was a deadfall oak, easy access, about 2 mi. from home. Been waiting to see the landowner in his yard to ask permission. Drove by a few days ago. All gone but small piles of sawdust, approximately 18" apart. I can take solace. NH is the 2nd most forested state in the US. There's plenty more trees to boogah up.

Happens to the best of us. There was a deadfall oak, easy access, about 2 mi. from home. Been waiting to see the landowner in his yard to ask permission. Drove by a few days ago. All gone but small piles of sawdust, approximately 18" apart. I can take solace. NH is the 2nd most forested state in the US. There's plenty more trees to boogah up.

BTW, I see that this thread has over 1,000 views. I reckon I can count on some competion for the pine I could previously take my time in collecting.

There was a pile a couple years ago that sat and sat and sat on a busy road, all bucked to 18" No takers. You'd think a legion of skunks had assaulted it after gorging on brimstone jerkey or something.

Needless to say, it went up the chimney pipe as nice as anything else.

Okay.........i can not find any wood left over from last year, BUT, I did find out it is actually called tamerisk here:dizzy: Or atleast from what I am told.

Alot of things that grow out here are "scrub" meaning something that survives here..LOL. Kindof like weeds on steroids.

I got outboogged then. It happens you are right. The issue I have is that these guys/gals didn't know what they were doing. This tree was a standing dead Tamarack 24"-28" or more at the stump. Tree had been dead for two years now. The face cut was over half way through the tree! There was barely a hinge, looked scary to me standing there looking at it. Was told by the Forest Service that a lot of "new" people had been getting firewood permits this year, possibly due to the high oil/natural gas prices earlier in the year.

Anyway, looked at the stump and went for a nice walk in the woods with the dog, and found another couple of trees for next year. Need a 4x4 and a winch for these, so will hopefully keep the "new" people away from them.

If NH is the second most forested state in the nation, what is number one?? Maine??

Last edited:
If NH is the second most forested state in the nation, what is number one?? Maine??

Yup. As of 2005 anyway when I attended a forest management seminar sponsored by the Society for the Protection of NH Forests. Good organization. While they advocate for land protection, they also advocate for sustainable logging and have a great relationship with the Timber Owners Assn.

Northern New England wants to be a forest. I'd find that out real quick if I didn't cut my lawn for a few years. :)

Oh, what a waste.:cry: Apple & Cherry along with Apricot should be reserved strictly for smoking poultry.:cheers:

Andy
Oh I kept the smaller pieces for just that cooking!
I grilled some Spruce grouse up for lunch today with the Cherry mmm good.
Spruce Grouse are easy (dumb) birds to hunt but don't taste as good as Ruffed But slow cooked over a smoky Cherry wood fire and basted in butter with a little seasoning just salt and pepper. Oh man going to get some more next week.Grouse that is.

Last edited:
Spruce Grouse are easy (dumb) birds to hunt but don't taste as good as Ruffed But slow cooked over a smoky Cherry wood fire and basted in butter with a little seasoning just salt and pepper. Oh man going to get some more next week.Grouse that is.

Now you've gone and made me hungry.:cheers:

Andy

sounds great.

i burnt some crabapple I got from my dad the other day. after one piece I realized that wood had a better use. I shot a couple prairie chickens and smoked them with that crabapple...delicious. butter basting is crucial!!

As far as Pine. This is my first year burning it. I had easy access to as much as I wanted. I cut three cords because I was skeptical. Im going back to cut more. I love it. My hardwood pile is lasting forever. I burn pine when Im home and awake. i burn the hardwood overnight, and throw one in when i turn the damper down and leave.

Pine burns hot, heats the house up QUICK when you get home in the evening. Ive been lighting fires without newspaper, just light some kindling and add some split wood. Winter will not be complete without a good pile of pine around here.:cheers:

Thanks to guys like redprospector that convinced me it would be ok.:cheers: :greenchainsaw:

Austin1...never heard of spruce grouse, have reffed grouse (or used to) here...not many of them anymore. I've seen articles in hunting mags. about grouse hunting...had to blow the horn to get them to move out of my road!....the disappearance, according to some friends, attributed to the cats that roam the area.

Well, one of life's "burning" questions for me awlays was how do you fellers in the northlands (Canada/Alaska) deal with burning pine all of the time, especially how often chimneys get cleaned?

around here, chimney is pronounce "chimley":crazy1:

Hello there,

I never thought I would get to take a crack at answering someone's "burning" question with my first post!

I'm from north of Winnipeg, Manitoba, and up until two years ago, we had been burning jack pine (almost) exclusively, with a sprinkling of tamarack, for many years. Tamarack is nice if you want to watch the top of your stove turn rosey red, but leaves more ash than the pines. Most of this wood was carted out of the eastern half of our province, the result of a late-80's fire, and several subsequent blows in areas that didn't burn. We have recently started burning ash and elm that were flood-killed several years ago. Mostly standing wood, it is nice to mix the two up.

Most of these pine fires end up smouldering for most of the day, so I can say from experience that with a reasonably-designed chimney, build-up is minimal. A bi-annual clean yields a couple coffee cups of dust, most of which comes from the top.

Austin1...never heard of spruce grouse, have reffed grouse (or used to) here...not many of them anymore. I've seen articles in hunting mags. about grouse hunting...had to blow the horn to get them to move out of my road!....the disappearance, according to some friends, attributed to the cats that roam the area.
Ah Spruce Grouse,
Same size as a Ruffed Grouse. We call them Fool hens as they are not very bright lol They look similar to a small Blue grouse except don't live at higher elevation that the big blues do. They tend to stick in the Pines and Spruce forest more than a Ruffed thus they taste a bit game'y if that's a word. Even my trusty hound can sneak up on them and he has brought one back to camp saves on ammo! lol He then let it go and it was running around camp he did enough damage so it could not fly away. That was one proud dog!

Hello there,

I never thought I would get to take a crack at answering someone's "burning" question with my first post!

I'm from north of Winnipeg, Manitoba, and up until two years ago, we had been burning jack pine (almost) exclusively, with a sprinkling of tamarack, for many years. Tamarack is nice if you want to watch the top of your stove turn rosey red, but leaves more ash than the pines. Most of this wood was carted out of the eastern half of our province, the result of a late-80's fire, and several subsequent blows in areas that didn't burn. We have recently started burning ash and elm that were flood-killed several years ago. Mostly standing wood, it is nice to mix the two up.

Most of these pine fires end up smouldering for most of the day, so I can say from experience that with a reasonably-designed chimney, build-up is minimal. A bi-annual clean yields a couple coffee cups of dust, most of which comes from the top.

Nice to hear a voice of reason on the subject of burning pine! :clap:

Streeter,

Any new wood sources yet?

I hope you're getting something figured out....

KRS

I have burned western pines (not sure which varieties) and I have burned our Virginia Pine. They were noticaably different. There is more resin in our Virginia Pine.

Streeter,

Any new wood sources yet?

I hope you're getting something figured out....

KRS

Not yet, I just started a new job and had a 80th b/day to plan:dizzy: I have @ 3 1/2 cord from last year. One nice thing about living in arizona tho, i can wait till spring time to find some and the wood will still be dry for the next winter:)

Latest posts

Back