Burning Southern Red Cedar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I did a bunch of pruning on some old christams trees, southern red cedars as the thread indicates. I got some pretty nice logs out of the limbs, and I'd hate to waste them if they are safe to burn. DOes anybody here know for sure one way or the other if they emit toxic fumes or resins....
note... I know trhis is off topic here, I posted it in the firewood section but no hits there. I know the guys with the anser are probably here.

I love cedar; big logs get milled, small logs are posts or landscape borders, and odd hunks go in the fireplace. Nice smell burns well nothing toxic or by now I'd be in hel...p.

Hmmm, interesting, same species as we have down in Florida? How big do they get? We don't have any big ones here anymore. Almost all of them got milled into #2 pencils of all things in the 20th century.

Juniperus virginiana; there is also a J silicicola in FL that is barely different, a little lighter and more slender. There is still a 75' tall specimen in Archer outside Gainesville.

They might also be useful for grilling fish. I discovered this on a trip to visit my sister in Oregon. She used cedar boards to grill Halibut and Salmon.

She soaked the boards in water overnight, seasoned the fish heavily in a black pepper / sea salt / italian dressing merinade, placed the fish directly on the board, and put it over a charcoal fire. Very good.

I'm looking for a chance to try it on some of our southern cedar, if I can find one that needs to be removed. Saw many of them right after Katrina, but cant find one now. I want to cut it in disks and put some Redfish directly on the disks. I'll have to use a (hand) crosscut saw or Sugoi to be careful I dont get chain saw oil on the cedar, but I expect it to be very good.

In Portland, Oregon they sell cedar boards specificly for this purpose. Sis sent me some, "Jakes's Cedar Barbeque Planks" (100% organic, non-treated). They have some warnings on the back I will share with you. 1) For outside use only; do not place in oven; 2) Do not leave plank unattended on barbque grill; 3) When removing cooked food, wood will be extemely hot; 4) Use each plank only one time; and "WARNING: Wood Can Catch Fire".

According to something I read, this was a common way for the Northwest Indians to prepare fish.

Haha, yeah that is said to be one of the best ways to cook salmon and similar fish. I've been a bit afriad to try it. I think I was told as a kid that cedar wood is toxic and have had a hard time getting that out of my head. Treeseer, Archer is real close, I'll have to look for this tree next time I roll through Archer. Does your information tell you whereabouts this specimen is? My trees are headed in the right direction to be big. I just wanted to take some weight off the sides of them. They were leaning real bad after Frances and Jeanne and I didn't want the next storem to take them out. I made all cuts at nodes, no spiking,a nd didn't take more than maybe 5-10% of each tree's foliage. Most of those limbs were dead or in decline, but that was still a *shocking* amount of debris from just a few limbs. I bet I took a couple hundrd pounds or more off of each one. Maybe I'll have to get you guys advce as to if they need cabling or if they're safe as is. Right now they're only abouit 5"dbh and 30' tall.

juniper versus cedar

Just because they are from the same family, doesn't mean Juniper and Cedar should be treated the same. As Firewood or otherwise.

What is called cedar in the East or South is usually a Juniperus.
Juniper is much harder than cedar.
Both are very fragrant.
Juniper is a very good firewood, at least the Juniper in Oregon is.
Two exceptions:
1) Bark is messy, think about the clean-up.
2) Produces a fair amount of ash and you'll have to clean out the stove regularly.

Cedar makes a good kindling for a non pitchy wood.

Juniper in Oregon is a well designed fighter. Hangs on for centuries in a tough environment. It also is tough on the sawyer. Will tear your shirt off. Doesn't go quietly.

Fireaxman said:
They might also be useful for grilling fish. I discovered this on a trip to visit my sister in Oregon. She used cedar boards to grill Halibut and Salmon.

She soaked the boards in water overnight, seasoned the fish heavily in a black pepper / sea salt / italian dressing merinade, placed the fish directly on the board, and put it over a charcoal fire. Very good.

I'm looking for a chance to try it on some of our southern cedar, if I can find one that needs to be removed. Saw many of them right after Katrina, but cant find one now. I want to cut it in disks and put some Redfish directly on the disks. I'll have to use a (hand) crosscut saw or Sugoi to be careful I dont get chain saw oil on the cedar, but I expect it to be very good.

In Portland, Oregon they sell cedar boards specificly for this purpose. Sis sent me some, "Jakes's Cedar Barbeque Planks" (100% organic, non-treated). They have some warnings on the back I will share with you. 1) For outside use only; do not place in oven; 2) Do not leave plank unattended on barbque grill; 3) When removing cooked food, wood will be extemely hot; 4) Use each plank only one time; and "WARNING: Wood Can Catch Fire".

According to something I read, this was a common way for the Northwest Indians to prepare fish.

Yup, the PNW tribes made extensive use of italian dressing marinades.:D

Diesel JD said:
Treeseer, Archer is real close, I'll have to look for this tree next time I roll through Archer. Does your information tell you whereabouts this specimen is? .
My info is old, last measured in 1995 by Robert Simons and Bill Russell, if you can find them that's all I know.

I'll have to post some pics of what I've got, they be pretty skinny for a cedar plank, plus I don't know how one would have to season a cedar plank for cooking fish. I have access to very good salmon cheap since I drive for a fish market part time, plus I catch other stuff that tastes good grilled smoked. It would be interesting. See what I can show you all tomorrow,
J.D.

Back