Burning unseasoned red oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Already have fad... I am finishing up splitting the last of our first load. Looks like its about 12 cords or so. I plan on getting at least 2 more truck loads. So I think I have fad

You must have some really good friends in your neck of the woods. Can see many people just trading a cord of seasoned for a cord of green straight up.

From the University of Nebraska brochure, for a cord of Red Oak:
Green: 4,888#
Dry: 3,528#
24.6 Million BTUs

So we're dealing with 1,360# of water.

Takes 1 BTU per pound to raise the temp 1º. Takes 970 BTUs/# to convert water at 212º to steam.

If the wood is 65º when you throw it in the stove...
1360# x 1117 BTUs/# = 1.5 Million BTUs

You "lose" 6% of the BTUs to boiling off the water.

I don't see that as a lot of BTUs lost.

**BUT** what does happen is the water slows down the Rate-of-Release.

Your house feels chilly, you thrown those green logs on.

That 6% energy loss has to come off the top, so you're not getting that much heat while it boils off the water. The moisture slows down the fire, so it doesn't get as hot during this period, too -- meaning it takes longer to boil off the water compared to a log you threw into a roaring fire, and during this time it's "cooler" due to the lower rate-of-release so you're seeing more unburnt carbon compounds go up in the smoke.

Compared to seasoned wood, your house ends up chillier for longer dealing what is referred to as "slow burning crap."

And as the steam condenses in your chimney, it pulls the unburned carbon products out of the smoke and forms creosote on the chimney walls.

24.6 Mbtu/cord is the potential energy of red oak. The actual recoverable heat will be much less depending on your appliance efficiency. I'm betting you lose much more than the 6% required for water's latent heat of vaporization with unseasoned red oak due to the reduced combustion efficiencies, particularly if you're trying to burn it in an EPA phase II rated appliance.

I'd avoid it at all costs. Sounds like the OP got himself into a better situation now though.

Last year I burned some Red Oak that I had seasoning for about 12 months...unfortunately about 4 of those months were very wet. The oak burned okay but only if I mixed it with some nice dry seasoned wood. This fall, when I cleaned my chimney, I had significant creosote issues...the first time in 5 years.

The other 6 cord of Red Oak I have seasoning in the yard will season for 2 full years.

Back