Burnt a piston on 455 Rancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How hard is it to put a new piston in a 455 Rancher? My friends saw burnt a piston, the cylinder looks like I can hone it out, just looking thru the spark plug hole. The saw is 5 years old so he doesn't want to spend to much money on it. I never took one apart before, it doesn't look like it should be too bad. Any suggestions before I tear into it? btw he thinks he screwed up on the oil mixture. The spark plug has aluminum on it and I can see where a hole was starting to burn through the piston.

Last edited:
Try the chainsaw forum. You will get faster response on this there.

you can not tell anything by looking through the spark plug hole, not hard to replace, baileys sells them.

First thing you need to do....

Is figure out what caused the burn down.. Leaking seals? Or neglected air filter.Or worse yet straight gas.

he said he thinks he screwed up the oil mixture. i might take a flamin for this but if its just a little wear and not a hole then id rering hone and let here rip. i ran a piston like that for 2 seasons on my old balster that was modified to the hills and i never had a problem. just make sure the mixture is dead on from now on.

He thinks he went to light on the oil/gas mix. I will try to take it apart tonight, a piston and rings looks like about $85 and I was told you can usually reuse the gasket if you put some permetex weather strip sealant on it. Thats what the local Husky mechanic told me anyway.

Did you do a compression test?

I will after I hone the cylinder and put in a new piston, just for a reference. i could see that the cylinder was scored pretty good but I think I can hone it out. It didn't have enough compression to start, and when I saw the spark plug I saw all I needed to see.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back