Business Lisence for PA??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalterTreeCare

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I cant find info about this, the state website doesnt have info on tree care or landscaping, and calling them is horrendous and you get no answers, just transfers. Ive seen tree care companies with BU # on thier trucks, just for PHC? If i ever run into doin work through the state or borough i would like the company to be legit. Any of yall got info on this?

Thanks
WTC

Try your county or city government. They would more likely issue a business license. At least where I've lived, those have always come from the county or city. Contractor's licenses come from the state, so maybe...

Every place is different, of course, but you can at least give the county or city a call and find out.

PA does not have a biz registration for tree care services like the home improvement contractors do or were forced too.

your locale may or maynot require you to have a biz license, as far as I know in my area there is no such requirement......thank god!

where you located in PA?

LXT............

Last edited:
PA does not have a biz registration for tree care services like the home improvement contractors do or were forced too.

your locale may or maynot require you to have a biz license, as far as I know in my area there is no such requirement......thank god!

where you located in PA?

LXT............

North East of Philly, near willow grove area, 15 mins from jersey

I cant find info about this, the state website doesnt have info on tree care or landscaping, and calling them is horrendous and you get no answers, just transfers. Ive seen tree care companies with BU # on thier trucks, just for PHC? If i ever run into doin work through the state or borough i would like the company to be legit. Any of yall got info on this?

Thanks
WTC

this is a touchy subject as i am located in wilkes barre and there're a few tree companies registered with the attorney general for that new law. i am not 100% certain but from what i do know is that if you improve or are contracted to improve someone's home you must register. i am under the assumption that by making a hazardous tree safe or improving the aesthetic value of someone's home you are improving it therefore being required to register. it costs 50 dollars. rather be safe than sorry right. im going to register in january so i can get a full year out of my registration. you can face jail time for failing to obide by this law. it is focused on safeguarding the HO from all those scumbags out there!

PA does not have a biz registration for tree care services like the home improvement contractors do or were forced too......

Not true!! I was assured by the Attorney General's staff that Landscapers and Tree Companies do need to be licensed as they are doing improvements to the property. Here's the link to the law:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Consumers/HIC/Act_132_Home_Improvement.pdf

Page 2 covers what you're talking about:

“Home improvement.”
(1) The term includes all of the following done in connection with land or a portion of the land adjacent to a private residence or a building or a portion of the building which is used or designed to be used as a private residence for which the total cash price of all work agreed upon between the contractor and owner is more than $500:
(i) Repair, replacement, remodeling, demolition, removal, renovation, installation, alteration, conversion, modernization, improvement, rehabilitation or sandblasting

It's the state, they can make the laws work for them. Demolition and removal can be synonyms. Any kind of pruning work to trees can easily be viewed as 'alterations, conversions, or improvements.' And plantings are definitely looked at as 'installations'.

The only part I'm not sure of is if PHC needs to be covered under this, as well. I know there's a provision in this law for the Plant Pest Act, but it's not clear if that includes all PHC activities. But, once your companies licensed, you're good.

Not true!! I was assured by the Attorney General's staff that Landscapers and Tree Companies do need to be licensed as they are doing improvements to the property. Here's the link to the law:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Consumers/HIC/Act_132_Home_Improvement.pdf

Page 2 covers what you're talking about:

“Home improvement.”
(1) The term includes all of the following done in connection with land or a portion of the land adjacent to a private residence or a building or a portion of the building which is used or designed to be used as a private residence for which the total cash price of all work agreed upon between the contractor and owner is more than $500:
(i) Repair, replacement, remodeling, demolition, removal, renovation, installation, alteration, conversion, modernization, improvement, rehabilitation or sandblasting

It's the state, they can make the laws work for them. Demolition and removal can be synonyms. Any kind of pruning work to trees can easily be viewed as 'alterations, conversions, or improvements.' And plantings are definitely looked at as 'installations'.

The only part I'm not sure of is if PHC needs to be covered under this, as well. I know there's a provision in this law for the Plant Pest Act, but it's not clear if that includes all PHC activities. But, once your companies licensed, you're good.

I called & asked about this when that law came out in July, It does not apply to tree care services/lawn services it may apply to landscape services providing the "work" is attached to the dwelling or built upon a foundation providing additional living space.

this law is in regards to dwellings & Living space as my attorney went through it with me! if providing a landscape that "ties" into the dwelling itself or is of such providing additional useable living space then you must register! the amount is based on doing $5000.00 worth of work or more a year!

there are many other factors within the law.......best bet is to have your attorney check it out, you are mis-reading the law, the terms you state are synonyms are specifically pertaining to private or commercial residence like I said landscaping may or may not need this depending on the degree of work you`re doing.

Planting, trimming, tree removals, stump grinding, mulching, grass cutting, retaining walls, brick paver installations, water features, landscape lights, irrigation systems, all tree care related work & much more does not require registering under this law! Now if you`re putting in an outdoor cooking area & running the skid steer, putting in a foundation with a pergula overhead....Hmmm you might want to register!!

hope this helps!

LXT..............

this is a touchy subject as i am located in wilkes barre and there're a few tree companies registered with the attorney general for that new law. i am not 100% certain but from what i do know is that if you improve or are contracted to improve someone's home you must register. i am under the assumption that by making a hazardous tree safe or improving the aesthetic value of someone's home you are improving it therefore being required to register. it costs 50 dollars. rather be safe than sorry right. im going to register in january so i can get a full year out of my registration. you can face jail time for failing to obide by this law. it is focused on safeguarding the HO from all those scumbags out there!

What this law is focused on other than saving "dumbazz" homeowners because they`re so cheap as too take the lowest bid that they got jammed! is:

its a census for small biz & PA is in such financial turmoil from our Govt. voting themselves a raise which gave their "secured" pensions such a boost that they need to find ways to make money.....$50 will soon become $500.00 you wait n see.

I say all state employees who got rewarded off that vote dont get any raise, hell they dont care if some one worked at the mill for 35yrs & keeps taking cuts on their pension or all the folks who just lost tons of money in 401ks, its PA`s finest trying to make $$$$ without using the word TAX!

LXT.............

Last edited:
He obviously knows he worked for Lou Giroud. I'm also thinking he isn't a big fan.

Hmmmmm. Obviously. What was that WalterTreeCare up to at Lou Giroud Tree Service. I wonder what went down there at Huntingdon. Enlighten us. Inquiring minds want to know.

I agree with the notion of contacting a lawyer to help decide if this fee applies to tree care in PA. I was speaking on behalf of how I was instructed to interpret it by the state staff. Once again, a lawyer would be who I'd go to for a final answer. If I were still doing commercial tree care (I'm municipal) I think I'd probably just pay the $50 and be covered.

Back