busted AV springs on MS211s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom11919

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm running a couple of crews cutting 220 kilometers of brush lines up here in Alaska and am having some issues with a couple of our saws. We started out using 290's, but brought in 211s after realizing that the smaller lighter saws were more than adequate for the alders and willow brush we're encountering. Or so we thought. Two out of our three 211s are now out of commission with broken upper right AV springs. I'm not quite ready to say its a manufacturing defect since these saws have been running 7-8 hours a day for the past month straight, but both failing in the same spot does raise an eyebrow. Anybody else seen this happen? Are my guys being too hard on the saws? Are we asking too much out of a homeowner grade saw? Suggestions for a saw that might hold up a little better? Maybe the 200 rear handle?

Thanks
Tom

Last edited:
Know nothing about the 211's except they seemed to be much liked
around here.

The 026/260's are proven to be long lasting runners and the used
prices seem to be dropping lately.

I'm running a couple of crews cutting 220 kilometers of brush lines up here in Alaska and am having some issues with a couple of our saws. We started out using 290's, but brought in 211s after realizing that the smaller lighter saws were more than adequate for the alders and willow brush we're encountering. Or so we thought. Two out of our three 211s are now out of commission with broken upper right AV springs. I'm not quite ready to say its a manufacturing defect since these saws have been running 7-8 hours a day for the past month straight, but both failing in the same spot does raise an eyebrow. Anybody else seen this happen? Are my guys being too hard on the saws? Are we asking too much out of a homeowner grade saw? Suggestions for a saw that might hold up a little better? Maybe the 200 rear handle?

Thanks
Tom

I would say that the MS211 is found under the "Occasional Use" section of the Stihl Catalog. 7-8 hours a day, you better get a production saw.

I would say that the MS211 is found under the "Occasional Use" section of the Stihl Catalog. 7-8 hours a day, you better get a production saw.

+1

That said, if the only thing wrong is broken AV monts, just replace em. AV mounts are intended to be replaced through the life of a saw. You are probably giving them five years worth of expected use in one month.

I am guessing here but is this a slashing crew for seismic lines? I did that over 20 years ago the money was great most of the guy's I worked with would spend all their money on Drugs and Booze, I put it in the Bank. But if it is I am amazed the saw's lasted that long!

That is pretty rough on the 211 but that is one tough saw. Any jerking or tugging going on? I'd say if that wasn't the cause, just plain worn out springs from all the use.

So now all three of our 211s have broken av springs and one has a busted rewind spring. Since the MS211 is obviously not able to stand up to what we're asking of it, can you guys recommend a replacement? I'd love to get a couple of MS200 rear handles, but those are a bit spendy. What about the 192? Could I use the same 16" bars and RSC chains we already have for the 211s on the 192? What if the biggest thing we're cutting is 4-6" alder that the 290s blow through like its not there?

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
attachment.php
I would like to know how a MS192 C-E would handle those alders.I have been thinking of getting one for limbing and up to 4" for red oak.Why not run the MS250's,just about 3lbs. lighter than a MS290,1/2lbs. more than a MS211.Or you could could give them all one of these(Snellerized) and get the job done real fast:hmm3grin2orange:
attachment.php

Oh, if it would've been up to me we'd be running a half a dozen 361s and all be home drinking beer by now instead of staring down another 2 weeks of living in a dry work camp. :cheers:

Why not just replace the springs and keep on running them.
Its no big deal when you consider the amount of use and abuse they are getting. Could be just a bad batch of springs, try new ones and see.

Latest posts

Back