Buy ANSI online

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A while ago I found a company that sells many different industry standards. The price for the Z133 was around $25. The one for hearing protection was around $70. A while ago, someone wrote that we should have access to the standards for free. Does anyone even know how many work place standards we're affected by? I doubt it.

Tom

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap
A while ago I found a company that sells many different industry standards. The price for the Z133 was around $25. The one for hearing protection was around $70. A while ago, someone wrote that we should have access to the standards for free. Does anyone even know how many work place standards we're affected by? I doubt it.

Tom

Sherrill sells copies of the fertillization, support, pruning and the Z for $20.00. Page 66 of the 2002 catalog.

Tim W. should be able to find that for you. I think that the Z has the other applicable standards listed in it.

I would think that any company or teaching orginization should have them onhand for for familiarization.

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap
Does anyone even know how many work place standards we're affected by? I doubt it.

Rhetorical question. Good one, Tom. ;) As in, no one knows the answer to it. And really, how can you know and follow every single standard and law? Every noise regulation, every accounting guideline, every indoor air policy....there are so many things to follow - even if we were on break all day long.

Nickrosis

Good day,

This brings up a question I have, that I know you guys will know the answer to.

How do arborists get around OSHAs fall protection standards? According to OSHA, anytime an employee is more than six feet off the ground, a fall protection system needs to be in place, and one of the requirements is an anchoring point tested to 5000lbs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I cannot say for certain, but your statement doesn't sound like it could be true. If it were, there would be no painters or roofers. Are you saying someone needs a fall arrest system to climb a 10' ladder? Unreasonable.

We use a climbing system that is rated to 5,000 lbs. or more with a rope rated to 5,400 lbs. or more. A good description of the climbing system can be found in the Tree Climber's Companion, II.

Interesting article with Peter Jenkins: http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1676.51322

Back to the topic. We follow the ANSI Z.133 rev. 2000 standards, and we will be in the clear for OSHA in terms of accident investigations.

Nickrosis

Because the our system is a work position system foremost and fall protection secondary.

For true fall restraint that will not injure the worker on fall arrest, dorsal attachment is needed.

Due to the configuration of our system, dorsal connection would be counnter productive and even dangerous.

As Nick points out our industry uses the Z133 and has negotiated it as the regulatory standard. Or should I say is negotiating. Seems like an ongoing prosses.

Latest posts

Back