buy new 5100 or fix rancher 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn.m

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
yeah I know some guys will go just buy the Dolmar and I am tempted.

My rancher 55 needs help. starts and runs good cold. has issues when it is hot- think it is the tank vent.
Also when I did the muffler mod I could see some aluminum debris in the piston land.

looks like Rancher 55s needing work are still going for $130-$170 on Ebay. So thought is to sell the Rancher for $130 then pony up the addtional $300 for a new Dolmar at the True Value Hardware store. They have a new Dolmar PS5100 for $415 , farm tax of 3% makes it $427 out the door.

Everything I have read over the last year says I would get more power with less weight with the Dolmar. After 1 shoulder surgery and possible 1 more the weight is a huge issue.

The other thought is to throw in a new piston, port it with a mild port job, put in a new tank vent, new gas line and keep running it. I have had the rancher for 4 years and still like this saw.

Chip away guys!

My rancher 55 needs help. starts and runs good cold. has issues when it is hot- think it is the tank vent.
Also when I did the muffler mod I could see some aluminum debris in the piston land.

looks like Rancher 55s needing work are still going for $130-$170 on Ebay. So thought is to sell the Rancher for $130 then pony up the addtional $300 for a new Dolmar at the True Value Hardware store. They have a new Dolmar PS5100 for $415 , farm tax of 3% makes it $427 out the door.

Everything I have read over the last year says I would get more power with less weight with the Dolmar. After 1 shoulder surgery and possible 1 more the weight is a huge issue.

The other thought is to throw in a new piston, port it with a mild port job, put in a new tank vent, new gas line and keep running it. I have had the rancher for 4 years and still like this saw.

Chip away guys!

you mean i can sell this one i have on my bench and make about 170.00 for it ?

20071130010.jpg

20071130009.jpg

20071129004.jpg

that mac is sitting on the metal shelf in the shop have not got a side starter cover for it so dont know if she runs or not

how much would it sell for on ebay and how much would that 55 husqvarna sell for ?

as is if you want i can see how much compression she has

oh that white engine beside the husq. is a 1979 tecumseh 3.5

Last edited:

Chip away guys!

You won't get less weight despite the specs, but my vote is for the Dolmar anyway - quite a bit more power! :)

Better AV as well, if you care.

Last edited:
Calvin your 55 will need a intake and carb before it will bring some decent money. Not sure on the mac the pic is blury or I'm drunk......looks like a pullon copy.

I have a idea. If you have more saws/parts saws like these, why not take a pic of them all and post them in your sponsor section for sale. Or you could list them on ebay for $1 and let the highest bidder win.

calvin that might still bring $60 for the right buyer

you guys are funny - both
:buttkick:

have to sell some firewood first before I can buy another toy. Selling the rancher makes only 1 cord instead of 2.

Sawtroll yeah better AV helps the hands not get so numb

recently sold huskie 55s $170
http://cgi.ebay.com/Husqvarna-55-Rancher-Chainsaw-20in-Bar-SWEDEN-LOOK-NR_W0QQitemZ130259614596QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130259614596&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A13|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

no compression $150
http://cgi.ebay.com/Husqvarna-55-Rancher-Chainsaw-20in-Bar-SWEDEN-LOOK-NR_W0QQitemZ130259614596QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130259614596&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A13|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

blown 455 $172
http://cgi.ebay.com/husqvarna-455-rancher-for-parts_W0QQitemZ140273125992QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140273125992&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A13|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Well, if you're ethical

Since ethics hasn't come into play. Just sell the 55 Rancher as a parts saw for $125 buy it now. That way everyone feels happy when it sells. You don't feel like a scumbag for overselling someone a broken saw, and the person receiving the saw doesn't feel slighted.

By the way, that 55 is one easy saw to work on, unfortunately the carb block is a horrible design and becomes another culprit in the roasting of pistons scenario. Good luck, just enjoy your new saw either way.

By the way, that 55 is one easy saw to work on, unfortunately the carb block is a horrible design and becomes another culprit in the roasting of pistons scenario. Good luck, just enjoy your new saw either way.

Carb block? What is that? I have a 55 so what do i need to do to it to make sure i dont roast the pistin. Its a saw with very very few hours on it.

my 257 is actually my backup saw. It really never gets started unless the 372 or the ranch run out of gas.
not sure if it is the saw or just mine. My 257 just does not seem to rev like my rancher or my 372.

I always fully disclose on my stuff that I sell on Ebay.

bought the 5100

Ended up selling the 257 for $225 and buying the dolmar for a additional $203
The saw was $419.95 with 2% sales tax ( Farm Tax) for a out the door of $428.35

The saw had a .325 .050 low pro chain on it when I first saw it. I told them didn't want it unless it had a 3/8 .050 chain on it.
they went to order the 3/8 version of the saw and were told it was on infinite backorder! So they switched the sprocket, bar and chain out to 3/8 .050 18" bar and called me.

Will go run it today and see what it is like.

SawTroll the 5100 is 14.20lbs on my digital scale with no gas in it yet. the rancher is 15.3 with a 16" heavy bar on it with a splash of gas in it. Will have to fill both of them up and then reweigh them.
I think the 5100 is more compact than the rancher which will make a difference also

How much is it going to cost you to repair the 55? That and sell price is the real price it's going to take to keep the 55.
If it runs you say 150 bucks (just guessing) for repairs and you could have gotten 150 bucks for it in it's current condition, then the saw will cost you 300 bucks to keep so you could get the Dolmar for 127 dollars more.
127 dollars more for a new saw the a warranty sounds like a better deal to me.

5100 fully fueled/ oiled, 18" bar weighs 15 lbs 8 oz on my digital scale. I love mine, going to use it some more today! It's an animal compared to any saw I've run before. :)

ran a couple of logs through it. Feels real good. waaaayyy more power than the rancher or the 257. smoother also. Has the same high RPM feel of my 372xp

Latest posts

Back