Buyer Beware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sell on ebay and I'm honest as some here can vouch for. I take the best pics I can and write good descriptions and still have issues at times.

Fraudulent Sellers make it even harder.

Maybe you're new to ebay but on a Buy it Now they usually require immediate payment. That's how I have mine set up. The best way to do that would be to wait until Monday and purchase it.

Not new at all. I've been on there for years. If you look at his ads, it even states to request total from seller before payment for combined shipping on multiple items. And it's not like he could ship it Sunday anyway, so I figured it would not be a problem.

Perhaps we all need to include a placard with each saw picture we take to identify it as ours.
That would only take a moment to edit out..... If they're going to be unscrupulous, there are not many ways to prevent it.

When it comes to collector stuff these things go with the territory, because the objects being sold are trading far in excess of their inherent value. That attracts people looking to make money for nothing.

If they're going to be unscrupulous, there are not many ways to prevent it.

Sounds authoritative, Chris-EPA.

.............the objects being sold are trading far in excess of their inherent value. That attracts people looking to make money for nothing.

And might I add get your chicks for free.

Yes and no. If they take the time to edit the pic... That's straight deceit. I'm betting this is mostly due to laziness and or poor tech-photography skills. If they have to photo shop it, might as well bust out the camera.

Edit: little to no risk that any of my pics will be used. Most of my saws look like they've been around the world. Maybe just use em some?

Perhaps we all need to include a placard with each saw picture we take to identify it as ours.

you can use photoshop if you want to spend enough money for a new saw, or you can use gimp (gnu image manipulation program) which is free-open-source software. here's an article on how to create a watermark.

http://www.scottphotographics.com/how-to-make-a-simple-watermark-in-gimp/

however, we all know that stihls should only be edited with photoshop so:

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/copyright/

looks like we should be using this technology with images posted on the internet. it's like the wild west out there.

here's a watermarked foto edited with gimp. once you create the watermark it only takes a a few seconds, three mouse clicks, to place it in the foto.

View attachment 362242
Gimp rocks, at least the Linux versions. The Windoze ones were kinda sad for a bit, but seem to be getting better (I'm forced to use that mis-operating system at work).

Ohhhh. You're one of those... :p
Hey you post on a forum for chainsaw enthusiasts - did you think you were normal or something? Compared to that being a Linux user is boringly routine!

Running Kubuntu 14.04 on a laptop built from pieces of about 3 other machines. All of it is free, and all of it works.

here's a watermarked foto edited with gimp. once you create the watermark it only takes a a few seconds, three mouse clicks, to place it in the foto.

And the same photo after 6 seconds in PowerPoint:

Screen shot 2014-08-04 at 1.02.48 PM.png

That's why you see a lot of photos on eBay with the watermark extending diagonally across the image. Those take almost 3 minutes to remove/obscure.

Philbert

And the same photo after 6 seconds in PowerPoint:

View attachment 362250

That's why you see a lot of photos on eBay with the watermark extending diagonally across the image. Those take almost 3 minutes to remove/obscure.

Philbert

i agree, if someone wants to rip you off badly enough, you're doomed. i could have placed the watermark so it spanned a more complex set of colors so you can't easily use the clone stamp but i wanted to put it in a place where it was easily visible as an example. some people will tile the entire image with watermarks but that's ugly. you can also embed code that doesn't alter the image and can be difficult for miscreants to find and remove. i don't know much about intellectual property law. i doubt that there's much that could be done about the misuse of the 090 foto. probably you'd need your attorney to send the guy a letter and demand that he cease using your copyrighted foto. like i said, wild west.

The guy probably got lazy with a pic and is caught in a lie. I make, and have made, high vlolume purchases of parts, and equipment on EBAY. Rarely a wrinkle in the transaction, even on titled ATV'S.
I hate to see EBAY process feared and derided. It is a convenience for me in restoring old equipment.

Latest posts

Back