buying a Makita at a local Rental shop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fettlst

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im thinking of getting a Mikita DCS6401 at a local rental shop. Is there anything special i need to ask about it? Thanks

Do you mean to say a used saw? Or is this a new saw and does the rental shop also serve as a dealer?

Have you seen the actual saw that you'll be buying? Did they give reasons for selling? Most small shops around me dont periodically sell their equipment until it junks.

I checked at the local Home Depot about these saws and they keep them for 3 years and then sell them off for about 150$ the guy said. They just new ones last year so he said they won't have any for a while.

yes its a used saw that they rented out. i havent saw it yet but im going to look at it tomorrow. the guy said it looks good but LOL it could look brand new and be junk if someones run stright gas in it. im hoping theyll let me take the muffler off and look in it. Thanks

1. If you dont have your own compression tester, you might ask if they have one, and if they'll check the saw out. (i really doubt they'll do this, but it might be worth a try.

2. If #1 doesnt happen, I think taking off the muffler is certainly a reasonable request.

3. Maybe you could sink it in a log--perhaps bring one from home if they don't have one there.

MGF

Or rent it for a couple hours and take it to another dealer to get the compression checked and such. And of course sink it in some wood.

Well I did it. I stopped by Home Depot today at lunch and paid 196.00 for it. The guy said it had been rented 21 times. That’s all the info he had on it. He would not let me take the muffler off. I started it up and it popped on the second pull with choke on and then started on the third. I took it home at lunch and took the muffler off. the piston on the muffler side looks great. The piston still has the horizontal lines(not sure of the proper name). Tthe cylinder on the carb side looks like it may have 2 small places on it. i hope to try it out this weekend. Now all i need is a good top cover for it with out the Home Depot number scratched in it. Thanks for your help.

Good shot! I do like makita's electrical stuff, I think the Royal Engineers use Makita chainsaws. Should last you well.

Makita saws are made by Dolmar formerly known as Sachs Dolmar before being bought up by Makita, they are really good saws for the money,I have owned and operated them since 1985 with 12 of them currently running and cutting regularly.
Pioneerguy600

I know HD has rental shops (there's one near me), but I'd havea tough time calling that a "local" rental shop.

I mean it's local in proximity but...

Yup, you got yourself a winner. Now all you need to do is order a 79 cc jug and piston from The Cutting Edge......Scott's handle is cuttinscott, I think....

Then, your saw will go from about 4.5 hp to 6.3

I have two Home Depot acquired Makita 6401, now 7901's, and a wood ported 7900 Dolmar. Best saw in the 70-80 cc class.

Latest posts

Back