Buying a used truck? (pick up)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aminator

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all. First post. Found the site about a month ago and been reading since. I'm in the market for a used pick up truck. It will be used to haul and tow firewood for personal use (probably small diameter logs, and large diameter rounds. I'm in West Norwalk CT.

Needs to:

Handle half a cord in the bed of green hardwood (oak, maple, locust) (3klbs)
4x4
$5k or less
looks not important (function before form)
Be able to take on the parkway so no dumps/work trucks I don't think?

would like it to:
be able to tow an additional cord in a trailer for bigger trips (5-8k lbs including trailer)
have an 8 foot bed
not crew cab

From preliminary research its looking like a '93-00' 3/4 ton-1 ton. I'm seeing plenty on Craigslist. I've heard I could get away with less, but wouldn't mind having the reserve for when I need it.

I am car/truck illiterate. Any recommendations? Things to look for other then low mileage, single owner, maintenance records, hitch, ect? Any trusted mechanics in the area?

Thank you for your help.

-A

Good luck on your quest for a truck. I would stick with the 3/4 and 1 ton segment, a single rear wheel based on your post. The next thing you want to do is decide between diesel and gas. I am a huge diesel fan but if this is a limited use truck a gasser may do you just fine. A truck that has a documented rebuilt transmission if auto equipped would be reccomended. Most auto's from that era will be due for a rebuild between 125 and 175,000 miles and usually cost about $2500 to do so. I would pick a first generation Dodge Cummins or a 7.3 Ford diesel. Pre '95 Fords will have an IDI ( indirect injected diesel) and 95 up will have the Powerstroke. The early ones are a bit aneimic by todays standards but tough as nails with little maintenance. If the IDI is turbo charged its either a '94 or an aftermarket kit. The turbo makes these engines quite a bit more powerful but still not comparable to a new truck. The powerstroke is computer controlled and a more powerful engine that has more support as far as parts are concerned. The Dodge Cummins is also a non electronic turbodiesel that is tough as nails.

All three of these engines are capable of more than 500,000 miles between overhauls, the Cummins closer to a million. Empty mileage will be in the teens and you will get better fuel economy loaded than the gas engines will empty, I'd say 9-12 mpg. Many people would argue that the Dodge body will not hold up as well as the Fords.

The Chevy 6.2/6.5 diesel isn't all that bad either but also not great on power. The Chevy will be lower to the ground with less ground clearance than the Ford or Dodge. I also like the solid axle on the Dodge and F350 Fords. Less parts to wear out and way over kill for a truck of this size, especially with stock tires.

If you are going gas, it will be a 5.2 or 5.9 in the Dodge, 350 or big block 454 in the chevy and probably a 5.8 or big block 7.5 liter in the Ford. All of these engine had a long production life and are proven runners. I'd say it is a personal preferance across the board with the gassers. The 350 Chevy (5.7 liter) will probably be the cheapest to maintain. Good luck, I hope I am not adding to your confusion.

One of my jobs is selling and buying work trucks for our company. I have found that the Ford 3/4 an 1 ton heavy duty pickup trucks hold up under severe duty. The frame and bodies seem to hold up better than Chevy or Dodge. The 5000 dollar price range will limit you to well used ex work trucks or older trucks. A 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 work truck for under 5000 dollars and under 300000 miles will be tough to find.

F250's from 1980 to 1997 have independent twin I-beam front suspension on 2wd and 4wd trucks. The F350 have a solid front axle. At the load your looking at carrying I would avoid the 1997-1999 F250 Light Duty (styled like the F150 with weird 7 lug wheels).

The 1999-2002 had Dana 50 front axles, 2003 + have Dana 60 front axles and all 1999 and newer single rear wheel super duties have the great 10.75 rear full floating axle. The 1999-2002 diesel truck used the International 7.3 a great engine , 1999-2001 Gas 5.4 V8 and 6.8 V10 engines have been prone to blowing spark plugs. The 2003-2007 6.0 Diesel Engine should be avoided if your not familiar with variable vane turbos, oil cooler failures, head gasket failures etc. all can be repaired or strengthened not to fail.

I like the 2005 and newer super duties. They have a coil front suspension on the 4wd all of the gas engines are quite reliable and th 6.8 v10 3 valve is a beast. The 2008-2010 Diesel option is a great International 6.4 with a common rail injection system that can dominate the dodge cummins of similar years with mild add ons. I have owned a 2006 Crew Cab F250 5.4, 2wd and currently own a 2010 F250 Crew Cab Fx4, 4wd. Awesome trucks if you need to haul or tow heavy.

Your requirements for a 3k load capacity put you into the 1 ton range or beefed up 3/4 ton Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings. Is this for a business or personal use? If it is a business and you are over 10K you will need a DOT # and a DOT health card from a physician. You will need to put a fire extinguisher and reflector triangles in the truck.

Good luck in your search.

P.S. buy a used truck well south of your location:msp_tongue:

Last edited:
Thank you both very much!

For purely personal use.

Not a daily driver. I don't foresee hauling/towing trips longer then 60-70 miles/ 1-.15 hrs. Most will be half that.

I could use it every day for a week or two, then nothing for a month or two. I'm intrigued by diesel, but it appears I won't be running enough to warrant it.

Thanks again.

-A

Aminator, you mentioned in your original post that someone said you could get away with a 1/2 ton. I personally would advise against it. While the engine may have enough power to pull the load, the suspension and brakes will not be up to the task. Mushy suspension and small brakes make for white knuckle rides. It's just not safe and you need to remember there are idiots on the road who will cut you off or stop short right in front of you. When in doubt, go heavier duty.

You also mentioned this truck may sit for months at a time. Gasoline will not keep as long as diesel. I am a fan of gas engines because for me they are easier to live with, have lower initial cost, and cost less to maintain. Just be prepared to treat the fuel if you plan to let it sit.

I have a 1999 F250 and love it, but not sure I'd put 3K in the bed. Don't think I'd get a diesel if it's going to be setting around for a while either. We have all kinds of 1 ton trucks here in TN for that price range if you're looking for a single cab and willing to travel. East TN has a plethora but I wasn't willing to go that far given the inventory here.

powerstroke.org has a wealth of good information on F-series pick-ups and what to look for when buying a used one.

If I were you I'd find a good 1/2 ton (I prefer Ford) and put a heavy 3/4 ton springs under the back. I've known people who have done that for years both personal and commercial use. Better on fuel and you fly under the DOT radar. I haven't yet seen commercial plates on a 1/2. My 1/2 ton with the 300-6 has been known to give my buddies heavy 3/4 ton with the 351M a run for it's money on occasion.

Sod breaker

If I were you I'd find a good 1/2 ton (I prefer Ford) anstay away from the d put a heavy 3/4 ton springs under the back. I've known people who have done that for years both personal and commercial use. Better on fuel and you fly under the DOT radar. I haven't yet seen commercial plates on a 1/2. My 1/2 ton with the 300-6 has been known to give my buddies heavy 3/4 ton with the 351M a run for it's money on occasion.

Sod breaker

The 300 inline 6 has to be one of the top 5 most reliable gasoline engines ever installed in a pickup truck. While I like the engine I would stay away from the 1980-1996 1/2 ton F150 if you plan on putting 3000#s in the bed. Ford offered the inline 6 on the 3/4 and 1 ton f250 and f350s as well as someof the medium duty trucks. Our company had a 3/4 F250 with the overload springs offered on 350s and 250 (250's had to have camper package) that could handle 2500# in the bed fine.

Back