Buying chainsaws onine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Reaction score
Buying chainsaws online

Got the Baiylies Wilda$$ catalog today. they have the 335xpt listed sale price of $378, I did a search on Coperninc "335xpt" and found one with 14 inch bar for $328 "free shipping"!

10 bucks I'll tell ya where!

Last edited:
Hmmmmm Where to you find a deal like that onine?
John too bad you couldnt get it off the
subject huh?

:p

Last edited:
What i heard is they tried to come out with a mid range climbing saw to compete with the 019 and found out it was better then their current model. So they wanted to work all the bugs out and get rid of current inventories of the 335. A dealer that does more then set things on shelve said it.

JP, flyer says that 335 is a California Special with a 45cc engine. No indication of HP or weight but they sure have my interest!

Dave,

My local saw guy says the Californian 335 has 45 cc too, but I wasn't sure if he was just trying to make a sell! It sure feels like it to me. Same saw everywhere else 'cept the made a better spark plug cover with metal clips, instead of the old plastic....So far so good!....

X-man

So, XMan, do you have one already?? I'm way jealous. Tell me more!! Weight the same?? Cutting speed faster?

I find it hard to believe that 45 cc could be packed into that little body. Main thing is that they changed the carb, or use different porting or something to eliminate the starting problems which develop after considerable hard use. And the way the saw requires choking after being shut off only a couple minutes or so.

You gotta get it Walkerized. $80, and mine now cuts at least 30 % faster, it is a beast!! Only drawback is it is a lot louder.

That's what's keeping me up at night....another 10cc but at what cost? Did it gain a pound or two? Did it gain 2 hp? DETAILS!!!! WE NEED DETAILS!!! :blob2: :blob2:

Guys,

It cuts faster and has more power than any of the 335's i've ran in the past. It runs like a scalded whore! I think it may of gained a pound possibly, but I started treework with the SDA25 poulan pro., so my 335 is still light. I can't find any spec's online for it, and that's why I thought my saw guy was full of it. We actually ran an old 335 next to the new one and of course the Californian smoked it. I paid $390 cash out the door for mine a few weeks ago, and once it breaks in I bet it will give the 020t a run for it's money! You guys want one? Here is my local saw shop in Santa Barbara and the # if you want to ask Larry about them. He's the #1 Husky and Stihl dealer in my area and has always given killer deals and service for arbos: AOK Mower Shop, (805)963-3736. Ask to talk with Larry the owner! I won't be seeing him till next week, and it sounds like you guys need to know today! This is all the info I have right now, hope it helps you guys! It is a sweet saw!
So, what do they give me for $80? How much more power/cc/weight? I don't mind if it's louder, those old poulans were loud! Where is this place located? I'm very interested in seeing what they can do with the Californian because I do have a fellow Arbo's Cali 335 that has lost some compression due to heavy use/abuse! I can imagine this thing hopped up!Can anyone say "Hot Kife through butter!"

Climb On,
X-man

Last edited:
I currently own a 1998 335 that has had the oiler rebuilt 3 times since buying that one I have bought 3 others everytime the saw seems to get better. All of them have been turned up to 14000 rpm and are holding up good. I have not seen a 020t or ms200 that can hang with a 335. I would not use an echo if you gave it to me 10000 rpm to slow.

Xian,

i agrre with greenguy. OF my three old 335's, one outcut any 020T I compared it with, another was a tad slower, and the third was never quite a s good. It was my first, and the carb boot problem surfaced; I may have run it too long when it was not right and messed it up a bit. Now all three run like *hit, starting, idling, etc, but still have some power. I am going to break them down, make sure the seals are good, replace the rings and piston(only if warranted), and juggle carbs around to isolate any carb problems, after putting in kits.

My new saw, which I got from Dan Kraus, had just broken in when I sent it to Walker's. It did not have the power of the old hot one. I did two tests, not timed precisely:

same bar/chain: old 335, 30 seconds, Walkerized, 19 seconds!!!!!
14 inch bar. Then Ian's 020T in a different log cut 26 seconds to 20 on the 335. I will do some more exact cuts with same bar length and new chain on all three saws, and more precisely timed.

Walker's is a sponsor of this website, search for "Walkerized" or http:walkerssawshop.com.

Whoopie, I just won a Craftsman on ebay!!!!!! You say, is he crazy???

Not!!! It is a Solo 651, the class of the 10 lb market!!! 10.8 lb, 4.0 hp. Sugg retail, $599, best price anywhere $400 maybe, I got it for $240!! I'm sending it to Dennis (also on this site) to massage. He shoud be able to pump it up to 5.2 hp or so, just under a stock 372! I'm waiting on him to finish my 3120, gonna be sweet. My 372 has been "Madsenized" for $80. It gained 12% over stock, next I do the muffler, which adds 20% more or so. Gotta go to Canada for muffler mod's, or Ken Dunn in Calif. He charges more, say $300 to hop a saw, but does great work. Likely Dennis's work is just as good for around $180 US.

They all say tuned saws last longer as the muffler mods allow the saw to run cooler. I wonder a bit, as a more powerful saw would stress moving parts more, you'd think.

Almost all the knowledgable saw guys say to run pro saws, especially a modified one at 32-1. So I am doing that, and have had no problems with fouled plugs or carbon buildup. Plus, I run TK-7(Madsen's) octane booster, premium gas, and a dab of Energy Release (an awesome metal conditioner, friction reducer)

So, Xian, do me a favor and do a cut test with the 335 and the Ca model, and check the weight if you have a way to do that. If you can't weigh them, hang each from a round dowel (old broom handle, etc) on either side of a pivot point til they are balanced, and see how much further out the new saw is.

By the way, supposedly, Husky is working on another climbing saw, I heard that from both John Walker and Rip Tompkins.

Roger

I hope the overpriced, overloved 020T loses major market share!!

Last edited:
Xian, Ask John Walker what they do. No more cc, just modified port timing, overall fine tuning, sometimes a bit of decking to increase compression a bit, and, of course, muffler mod's. For the 335, it is 120 Cdn, that is actually about $76. I think Dennis is around $300 Cdn for bigger saws, walker's 200. they both do great work, Dennis is more custom.

Xian the saw is just on the market, and he overused it already?? that is scary. either he ran it too hard befroe the rings were seated, or ran too lean a mix, or the saw doesn't have the bugs out yet. Pull muffler and look for any scarring.

Run 32-1 mix, absolutley do not run 50-1, 40-1 probably ok. With C.A.R.B., saws run too lean for anything thinner than 40-1.

Xian, have you peeked at the carb ? Is the mixture adjustable with limiters ? Please don't tell me it comes with Stihl's "better idea" of fixed jet.

Oops, sorry that was $150 cdn for the 335 to walkerize, or about $95 US, but that included shipping!

RB,

The CA Model has been out here for over a year, and this guy does removals only, and likes to cut until his 335 can't get through the piece. I'll weigh it and see about a cut test(we are slammed). I had a few of the first 335's that seemed like they out cut the 020t. I had one that was my saw for crane removals, it cut fastand screamed with power. The CA is still new, I need to run a few more tanks of gas in her and have Larry powertune it, then I'll let you know what I really think!

Dave,

It has the restricters which I have the saw guy yank out first thing! I'm sure they will block the adjustments off soon and make us get them smogged!

X-man

out for a year already?! Wonder why the heck Ca is so special? You dont think husky is using you guys as test guinea pigs, do ya?

More pics coming up on My "tech. tree removal" thread

Back