Buying firewood logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowbait

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Say, my parents, near Neillsville, WI, need some firewood for their wood furnace (winter is nearing...).

I've got a logger willing to deliver a semi load of oak logs, for $900 total. He said that's about 14-16 cords (not face cords) of wood.

How's that price seem to you guys?

Say, my parents, near Neillsville, WI, need some firewood for their wood furnace (winter is nearing...).

I've got a logger willing to deliver a semi load of oak logs, for $900 total. He said that's about 14-16 cords (not face cords) of wood.

How's that price seem to you guys?

Sounds good to me, saves a lot of gas and time for you, all you have to do is buck it up, no driving around, throwing blocks in your pickup and back out again.

What kind of furnace? Outdoor or indoor? Can it burn wet wood? It sounds like a good price, but it won't be ready to burn this year. Oak takes at least 1 full year or longer to dry. If those logs were cut up a year ago, you will find that they are still full of water and heavy as hell when you buck and split them.

It won't be seasoned properly for this burning season. Oak, after it has been split, takes a minimum of 1 year to season properly. It will simply not burn well at all.

what about for next year!

Ok, so every one tells you it won't burn good.... to right it won't tried it last year, wood that was still wet. right proper PITA!!, however if you could store it, why not get it at this cheap price and store it for next year.... cheap wood is cheap wood. and will give your folks a great start on the next year. you might have to find some seasoned wood for this year but your set for next!....

Steven :)

Yes, its ability to burn is not the primary question of this thread.
I was primarily interested in whether or not I was getting a good price.

I've burned wood for decades, so I'm very familiar with drying times on all types of wood...split, unsplit, and inn log form.

Even on the low end of 14 cords that calculates out to a little over $64 per cord delivered. I understand that it is in log lengths, but for oak, that is a good deal. Go for it.

anybody in michigan know where to get a load like that?

Last edited:
$65 in log form is pretty good. really good delievered.

I am trying to sell 6 month seasoned oak in log form for $100 a cord pick up with no bites. Normally it is $50 cord for stumpage so I thought I would have more bites.

Out here, oak dries in 6 months. Helps when you have 15% humidity and 90+ days for months on end. Not rain every 2-3 weeks and then snow.

Check that load careful BEFORE they drop it!

We got a load of bone dry oak the first part of June, was cut and had been sitting in log length for just over 4 years. 96,000 pounds by the local highway scales and the the truck scales. We got 9.5 cord out of that load. Wet will weigh significantly more so you will get less. It will be easier to split but will not burn worth spit until next winter at the soonest. Our load was $800. We just got done yesterday with the last of the three loads last night. Three loads all bone dry total cords 25. We have 4 more comming to play with for the rest of the summer. Total should be just under 60 cord that should last us about 6 to 7 years at 9 cord per year

The above load was the biggest brought in on a sunday cause the scales are closed.

Your load and amount just doesn't seem to add up to me for weight that the truck can carry. 96,000 was a tax on that self loader when it came to the inclines that we ran into.

Food for thought

Owl

Latest posts

Back