Buying house and want forced air wood heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodheaterman

Reaction score
My wife and I are in the midst of buying a house and we want an economical outside forced air wood stove. We have been looking around and weighing our options. The little house Im afraid will be too small. We have 2200 sq. foot on a slab construction. We have looked at an airstove from airstove.com that is in use and Im not very impressed with the build quality of them. I am leaning toward buying an add on wood furnace from lowes and make a shed around it. Some one help me.

My wife and I are in the midst of buying a house and we want an economical outside forced air wood stove. We have been looking around and weighing our options. The little house Im afraid will be too small. We have 2200 sq. foot on a slab construction. We have looked at an airstove from airstove.com that is in use and Im not very impressed with the build quality of them. I am leaning toward buying an add on wood furnace from lowes and make a shed around it. Some one help me.

If you buy an add on then you should get a bit more educated in how they make heat.
There's no sense in buying a unit that has you loading every 3 hours.
For the investment to pay off you really need at least an 8 hour burn for a minimum.

You can call me toll free to discuss your options. Then you'll be armed with enough info to go back out and search.

Englander 28/3500 @HD i think. Has a viewing glass so u can monitor the fire & learn how to burn it.
Caddy is expensive but has the current EPA 2ndary burner design & the viewing glass
Yukon has no glass & the 2ndary air intake is configured different from modern EPA stove designs

Englander 28/3500 @HD i think. Has a viewing glass so u can monitor the fire & learn how to burn it.
Caddy is expensive but has the current EPA 2ndary burner design & the viewing glass
Yukon has no glass & the 2ndary air intake is configured different from modern EPA stove designs

Pook...there's a big difference between a stove and a furnace.

NOTE:

To quote the owner of arborist.com:

"TO ALL: After reading much of the information provided by Pook above, it seems to be misinformed and even dangerous in some cases. Please disregard any posts made by him before this post. I have informed him and will inform you all, if you are giving out bad information knowingly you will be banned from this site and if somebody gets hurt by your poor information, you could be personally liable. This could include jail time or be at the very least financially liable. You are personally liable for anything you say on here or any other website!!! Since there seems to be so many posts with poor/dangerous information, I feel it has to be on purpose as nobody can believe many of the things that have been said, which includes the poster.
Thanks!!! Have a Happy, warm Holiday to everyone!! Also, Thanks to all that try to help others on here and have a genuine interest in making this a site full of good/useful information.

And like your disclaimer reads in your siggy...
liability disclaimer= my posts should not be read by ANYONE!

Last edited:
fire is fire? but i'd love to hear the diff.:bowdown:

A stove does not hook to ducting. They typically are space or zone heaters.
A furnace hooks up to ducting. They typically heat the entire home with filtration of the air through filters.

There are more differences,but I am keeping it simple for you to grasp Pook.

Last edited:
Pook...there's a big difference between a stove and a furnace.

NOTE:

To quote the owner of arborist.com:

"TO ALL: After reading much of the information provided by Pook above, it seems to be misinformed and even dangerous in some cases. Please disregard any posts made by him before this post. I have informed him and will inform you all, if you are giving out bad information knowingly you will be banned from this site and if somebody gets hurt by your poor information, you could be personally liable. This could include jail time or be at the very least financially liable. You are personally liable for anything you say on here or any other website!!! Since there seems to be so many posts with poor/dangerous information, I feel it has to be on purpose as nobody can believe many of the things that have been said, which includes the poster.
Thanks!!! Have a Happy, warm Holiday to everyone!! Also, Thanks to all that try to help others on here and have a genuine interest in making this a site full of good/useful information.

And like your disclaimer reads in your siggy...
liability disclaimer= my posts should not be read by ANYONE!
Current EPA stoves & the Caddy are similarly configured for the 2ndary air intake which results on flames on top burn & this can be seen thru the glass. The 2ndary air RISES to the tubes so as the stove gets hotter more air will be pushed in thru the 2ndaries & this makes sense.
Yukon differs in that the preheated 2ndary air has to travel horizontally? or downward? If downward, wouldnt the static pressure of the hotter air result in constricting the 2ndary air as the stove gets hotter? Seems backwards to reduce the 2ndary air as the stove flames grow?

Check out the forced air outdoor furnace from charmaster.
Charmaster.com
It might work for you.

I added an air intake above my wood burning stove. I turn the fan on the "heater" and it sucks the heat from above the stove to the rest of the house. We have 1800 sq. feet, one level home. We haven't kicked the heater on for a long time.

Back