Buying my 1st chainsaw in Australia. Should I import a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
young

young

token asian
'Mate' I guess the value of money is in the eye of the beholder, some of us appreciate a saving, other like wasting it... just depends what you're into.

And I actually do enjoy making paper planes, I might take that up again some time :D

Oh and F430's are pretty cheap these days right, I would prefer the newer 458.

just get the skyline and save some more money :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

jmw

ArboristSite Lurker
Welcome to AS

I have and will keep getting saws from the US,im not interested in warranty and have been getting ported saws even with the modd costs and post its still cheaper than here...
When you post a saw into Ozz make sure it is valued at less than $1000 or Australia Customs will have a ball with you and sting ya heaps of fees and GST ect.
Cheers
Andrew

Thanks for the welcome, I know about the $1000 limit, but $1000 sure seems to buy a lot of saw in the states.

MattCrowe

MattCrowe

ArboristSite Operative
'Mate' I guess the value of money is in the eye of the beholder, some of us appreciate a saving, other like wasting it... just depends what you're into.

And I actually do enjoy making paper planes, I might take that up again some time :D

Oh and F430's are pretty cheap these days right, I would prefer the newer 458.

I Just bought a new 390XP, $1804, drove 2 minutes to get it, got a full tank of fuel and oil with it say worth 4 bucks so we will call it an even $1800. buy one new from the us they are around $1200, expect to pay at least $150 for postage, chuck 10% on that for insurance as seeing you have no money and like to save you cant risk losing your now $1485 dollars, we are buying 97 us cents now so add another $44.55 to the total, hope that the seller doesn't mind telling lies and saying it cost under a grand, because if he does, there goes another $160 and all of a sudden you have spent at best $1529.85 or worst $1682.83. you just saved yourself $118-153 dollars which is perfect cos ya now have half what it will cost if it sh*ts itself in the first week in your wallet to send it back. But seeing as you don't want or need warranty i guess you could just throw it out and start again seeing that you are so far in front...:dizzy:

young

young

token asian
I Just bought a new 390XP, $1804, drove 2 minutes to get it, got a full tank of fuel and oil with it say worth 4 bucks so we will call it an even $1800. buy one new from the us they are around $1200, expect to pay at least $150 for postage, chuck 10% on that for insurance as seeing you have no money and like to save you cant risk losing your now $1485 dollars, we are buying 97 us cents now so add another $44.55 to the total, hope that the seller doesn't mind telling lies and saying it cost under a grand, because if he does, there goes another $160 and all of a sudden you have spent at best $1529.85 or worst $1682.83. you just saved yourself $118-153 dollars which is perfect cos ya now have half what it will cost if it sh*ts itself in the first week in your wallet to send it back. But seeing as you don't want or need warranty i guess you could just throw it out and start again seeing that you are so far in front...:dizzy:

pho for a 390 is 870 + 150 shipping which includes ins. under a grand.

Rudolf73

Rudolf73

Addicted to ArboristSite

Good deal mate, good deal. Keep up the good work.

Oh and you might want to read Youngs post above, he actually lives in the US.

MattCrowe

MattCrowe

ArboristSite Operative
Good deal mate, good deal. Keep up the good work.

Oh and you might want to read Youngs post above, he actually lives in the US.

He may well live in the US but he forgot his abacus today, 870 and 150 is under a grand ? Looks like Randy Duncan the self professed "go to guy for saws in the US" is stiffing his ten customers over there that paid $1279 for them then... maybe they should have shopped at Youngs.

wigglesworth

wigglesworth

Booned
He may well live in the US but he forgot his abacus today, 870 and 150 is under a grand ? Looks like Randy Duncan the self professed "go to guy for saws in the US" is stiffing his ten customers over there that paid $1279 for them then... maybe they should have shopped at Youngs.

I bought a 390XP a couple months ago, and it was $850 PHO.

Rudolf73

Rudolf73

Addicted to ArboristSite

Yup, 870+150 = 1020. When I checked before the dollar was 1 to 1.020 so yeah he is pretty much on the money and seeing as the dollar is going up again...

young

young

token asian

your right its $1020 shipped. yea that 20 buck i miss calculated isnt much to your 500+ best price. its cool you want that warranty but some dont or need it. and those are the people that know who to contact.

i cant help those people that over spent but theres dealer on AS and other places that sell these for what i said.

also its nice you quoted the most expensive ebay seller, who sells everything over retail.

OrangeRidge

OrangeRidge

ArboristSite Lurker
If enough people import them themselves, perhaps stihl, husky etc will relise that they have to start being more competitive on prices.

That's what I thought , but the reality is quite different . The products sent overhere are traced back via Dealer's service/Customs spies ( yes , there's some on the take for info ...... )
and the US/UK Dealer gets the account pulled after an initial warning ( if they're lucky ! ). That's happened in HiFi , tyres , guns , to people I know.
ONLY grey imports from non-aligned sources beat this ; Kubota for example.

AUSSIE1

AUSSIE1

Al.
Ned and Wild’s fight site Vic. Australia.
$1000 isn't chook feed to me - takes plenty of hours work to earn that.
With saw prices in oz the way they are I could fly to the states & pick up say an MS 441 for not much more than the cost of the saw here.

If anyone's got a horror story about doing their dough on an import, I'd like to hear it.

Welcome JMW. You'll fit in well here mate. You started of your post with 35cc's and finished with 120! :msp_thumbup:

No horror stories mate personally and with others who have brought in plenty. Speak to Matt (MCW) on this site. Bringing one in is a top idea.

Top deal! Free tank of fuel and oil for $1800 plus! Our dollar is currently 102. That would bring in Youngs and Wiggs 390 for under $1000.

Oh JMW............ get the 390XP and be done with it mate! :D

AUSSIE1

AUSSIE1

Al.
Ned and Wild’s fight site Vic. Australia.
That's what I thought , but the reality is quite different . The products sent overhere are traced back via Dealer's service/Customs spies ( yes , there's some on the take for info ...... )
and the US/UK Dealer gets the account pulled after an initial warning ( if they're lucky ! ). That's happened in HiFi , tyres , guns , to people I know.
ONLY grey imports from non-aligned sources beat this ; Kubota for example.

If someone walks into a store and buys a saw and decides to ship it OS, it isn't the fault or to the knowledge of the dealer.

Last edited:
OrangeRidge

OrangeRidge

ArboristSite Lurker
Apples and apples

IF the product is identical ( alot of stuff isn't ) and it's NOT a complicated/functioning product and it's not expensive to freight and
doesn't come to a grand ...... then you takes your choice. Alot of US product is skyrocketing in price as their currency devalues ,
and they've cottoned onto us , and are bumping up the freight to cash in. I buy what I can't get here , but that's about it these days.
Four years ago at 90cents , low freight , and pre-price increases on product into the US , I bought loads of stuff. The gloss is off it
abit thesedays. Guitar strings are 40% up and 50% more freight in 4 years , but still cheaper that here. LandRover tyres are hardly
any saving , as FedEx have wacked up the freight ..........

MattCrowe

MattCrowe

ArboristSite Operative
your right its $1020 shipped. yea that 20 buck i miss calculated isnt much to your 500+ best price. its cool you want that warranty but some dont or need it. and those are the people that know who to contact.

i cant help those people that over spent but theres dealer on AS and other places that sell these for what i said.

also its nice you quoted the most expensive ebay seller, who sells everything over retail.

Yeah look its all good, it would be fantastic to live in Kentucky, where you probably earn a quarter of what we do and get to pay half what we do for your gear, but unfortunately i don't so i pay good old inflated Aussie retail, but best thing is, while Rudolf and the OP are sitting at there letter boxes making chainsaw noises waiting for the postman to show with there half price saw, my "reserved only for the rich" saws are earning me 600 a day, who is really in front, all the power to you if you want to save your self a few hundred bucks, but its not my cup of tea, i pay for reliability and service, hey, i'm a 25 year experienced mechanic, i can work on my own gear too, but paying a bit extra to not have to is worth every penny to me, maybe not you, but you have your opinion and i have mine, but one things for sure, in the last 30 years of locally buying chainsaws i haven't gone bankrupt, they are a tool that earns me money, simply put, an investment, and Aussie retail, although stupidly inflated, still isn't bank busting so i don't see it as an overly big issue.

jmw

ArboristSite Lurker
Welcome JMW. You'll fit in well here mate. You started of your post with 35cc's and finished with 120! :msp_thumbup:

Thanks for the welcome. I started off reading reviews & thinking small - once I did some training and got to use a couple of saws - 50cc stihl & 70cc husky - that got me thinking bigger.

young

young

token asian
If someone walks into a store a buys a saw and decides to ship it OS, it isn't the fault or to the knowledge of the dealer.

isnt a issue unless the buyer decides to take it in or report it to AU dealer. then they can trace it back to where it was sold and who bought it. usually a warning not to sell to that customer but if it keeps happening to the same dealer, they can lose the franchise.

Rudolf73

Rudolf73

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yeah look its all good, it would be fantastic to live in Kentucky, where you probably earn a quarter of what we do and get to pay half what we do for your gear, but unfortunately i don't so i pay good old inflated Aussie retail, but best thing is, while Rudolf and the OP are sitting at there letter boxes making chainsaw noises waiting for the postman to show with there half price saw, my "reserved only for the rich" saws are earning me 600 a day, who is really in front, all the power to you if you want to save your self a few hundred bucks, but its not my cup of tea, i pay for reliability and service, hey, i'm a 25 year experienced mechanic, i can work on my own gear too, but paying a bit extra to not have to is worth every penny to me, maybe not you, but you have your opinion and i have mine, but one things for sure, in the last 30 years of locally buying chainsaws i haven't gone bankrupt, they are a tool that earns me money, simply put, an investment, and Aussie retail, although stupidly inflated, still isn't bank busting so i don't see it as an overly big issue.

Thanks for clearing that up Matt, each to their own as they say...

And how did you know I sit at my letter box everyday :laugh:

This little fella is my hero Lyrebird - YouTube

young

young

token asian

thats great, iam happy that your happy with your purchase especially if your dealer knows there stuff.

MattCrowe

MattCrowe

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks for clearing that up Matt, each to their own as they say...

And how did you know I sit at my letter box everyday :laugh:

This little fella is my hero Lyrebird - YouTube

Haha not bad, don't think we have them down here in Tassie, never seen one, just stupidly expensive chainsaws, guess if we did have them birds here they would be saying "ca-ching-ca-ching-ca-ching" before they made the chainsaw noise...

Latest posts