Buying Saws From Abroad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conquistador3

Le Comte de Frou Frou
Reaction score
This is a question I am asking to those who have experience in buying and selling saws between the US and other countries (chiefly Australia).
I've been eyeing used prices for some Stihl and Shindaiwa models on the US market (chiefly on this forum) and they often come at 50% less or even more than what the same saw goes for here even with a strong dollar. Throw import duties on top and they are still 40% cheaper.
That leaves only problem that could spoil the deal: shipping.
I buy a ton of stuff from Japan and shipping from there is dirt cheap and incredibly fast. But J-Post is also losing money faster a Silicon Valley Startup with a single app to its name. What they won't do to stimulate exports. :laugh:
I've only bought small and light stuff from the US so far and shipping has always struck me as both slow and really expensive.

So the question is: is it really worth it? How much would cost shipping, say, an MS460 to Europe?

Thanks.

I use US Postal Service international often, and yes it can be pricey. You can calculate from their webpage here: https://ircalc.usps.com/

I tried the basics for a ms460, assuming it weighs 15 pounds + 2 pounds for packing, thats 17 pounds. To France from the US its $88 via "Priority Mail International" (6-10 day delivery)

Tip: when using the system, enter the details about country, date, cost, etc and choose "large package". Then give the weight and on the next page give the dimentions. (You have a max dimentions size depending on country, but the price is not based on size, the price is based on weight). On the next page they will then show the express delivery options and prices (the most expensive options which is $113 for France in 3-5 days) but you must click on the blue line marked "Priority Mail International Options" to reveal the cheapest rate (about 25% less than express) of $88

I also tried Australia for 17 pounds -its $164 express and $123 regular Priority Mail international

Thanks a lot people. I put Australia in there because I know chainsaw prices Down Under are crazy enough to make the whole operation economically feasible.

By using the USPS calculator I'd be looking at shipping costs in the €80-100 ballpark. Feasible only on larger saws.

The bad thing is if you buy a saw and it doesn't work or has a hole in the case or something like that and you have to send it back! You might have to pay the postage both ways if you're unlucky like I am sometimes..that's why I don't do international.

The bad thing is if you buy a saw and it doesn't work or has a hole in the case or something like that and you have to send it back! You might have to pay the postage both ways if you're unlucky like I am sometimes..that's why I don't do international.

When buying a used saw, brushcutter etc I always expect there will be something to fix. That's part of the game, why I tend to pick machines with plenty of aftermarket/used spares and why a little haggling is always involved. ;)
But, as a said, used saws in the US go for 50% less than they go here and there's far far more choice. Due to the factors previously mentioned it only makes sense on big/expensive saws such as the 460, the 660 and so. Factoring in shipping makes most if not all used Japanese saws a non-starter. New would be another matter: Japanese saws are ridiculously cheap in the US. But I don't plan on buying new anytime soon...

I totally understand you about prices in the US for some things compared to abroad. Hey, another tip is to fill your box to the max. You can fit a lot into the maximum box size. If you remove the bars and pack things well you can fit at least 4 saws. Assuming each weighs 15 pounds and another 4 pounds for packaging, its 64 pounds, which sends for $351 to Australia (or about $75/saw or €68). The max weight on a box is 70 pounds (31.7kg).
However, if not packing it yourself, good luck trying to convince someone in the US to haul an oblong 30kg box to the post office...:dizzy:

Hey Conquistador3 (and whoever), another thing to note is USPS discounted shipping. Until Jan 2016 (yeah, last month) you could get a discounted rate for printing your own label (this isn't available anymore, its all the same price now). This was called "click-and-ship" (you can still see it listed on their price calculator, but the prices are now all the same). I just noticed this.:(

BUT, you can still get those discounts, here's how: the discounted shipping is still offered to businesses who send in bulk annually (like Amazon). But there are some online shipping companies set up to let you send via their business account if you register with them, allowing you to get their discounts for the USPS (you still send from where ever you want, you just buy/print the label through their site). Some have free intro plans, but most are a bit complicated and really only good if you ship often. However I just dug around on Google (I'm looking for shipping myself too actually, but something without much hassle) and found this place which is straight forward and requires only a minimal account set-up and no app download https://vipparcel.com/ They take Paypal too.
I entered Australia, and its $111 for 17pounds ($123 regular), and $316 for 64pounds (compared to $351 regular), so whatever it is, you save about $10/saw

I totally understand you about prices in the US for some things compared to abroad. Hey, another tip is to fill your box to the max. You can fit a lot into the maximum box size. If you remove the bars and pack things well you can fit at least 4 saws. Assuming each weighs 15 pounds and another 4 pounds for packaging, its 64 pounds, which sends for $351 to Australia (or about $75/saw or €68). The max weight on a box is 70 pounds (31.7kg).
However, if not packing it yourself, good luck trying to convince someone in the US to haul an oblong 30kg box to the post office...:dizzy:

I think someone here on this forum could be convinced. :laugh:

If you buy a saw or whatever chainsaw parts through Ebay .Com & their shipping set up (Whatever that entails) I reckon you would have to pay Way North of §100's. I inquired on a Lo pro chain & the shipping was 50% more than the chains cost + some of the vendors have a Custom charge levied when it would not normally have to be paid ( That is to he French customs)

If you buy a saw or whatever chainsaw parts through Ebay .Com & their shipping set up (Whatever that entails) I reckon you would have to pay Way North of §100's. I inquired on a Lo pro chain & the shipping was 50% more than the chains cost + some of the vendors have a Custom charge levied when it would not normally have to be paid ( That is to he French customs)

I am aware of that and not happy.
The local customs usually only levy import duties above a certain declared value because, plainly put, underneath it costs them more than they take in so it's just cheaper to wave it through. An item with a declared value of US $50 would usually be waved through but with eBay shipping program you end paying custom duties on that.

It seems a bit counter-intuitive because they have often been the most expensive option, but you may want to ask FedEx about the 25kg box rates, if you have an account, or know someone who does. You may be surprised how the prices compare to alternatives.

Latest posts

Back