Bye bye Carlton skip chain...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Reaction score
Some of you may already know and I've informed a few Aussies but Carlton have discontinued their skip semi chisel and skip full chisel lines of chain. The Australian distributors told me this mid week and I emailed another US supplier who I've dealt with previously and this was his reply...

Hi Matt,
Yes all the Carlton semi-chisel skip and chisel skip has been discontinued. Since Blount Inc now owns all 3 US saw chain manufacturers a lot of frustrating changes have been taking place. At this point we have no replacement for the semi-chisel skip. We are replacing the chisel skip with OREGON. Best wishes.
Take care,
###

This sucks as the A3-EP skip semi chisel is/was a massive seller here. Ah well, standard EP and a 1mm cut off disc may have to suffice...

Matt i hope ya got a roll on the way to me,im going to lock it up in the safe.
Its allways the same with good stuff its allways hard to get or stop making it and this is a prime example ,same as Mobil 1 Racing 2T being stopped in Ozz.
Cheers mate :)

Its allways the same with good stuff its allways hard to get or stop making it and this is a prime example ,same as Mobil 1 Racing 2T being stopped in Ozz.
That's the last time I'm doing you roos a favour. You are supposed to say it's a terrible chain and that's why they are discontinuing it. I give up.:smile2:

It figures.

Oregon has been itching to kill off Carlton for years now, and they need Carltons production capacity, to make all those loops of Dog terd LGX and safety chain.

Now that only Stihl is left, and a Monopoly is at hand, the next stop is full Chineese production.

#### Blount and Oregon.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It figures.

Oregon has been itching to kill off Carlton for years now, and they need Carltons production capacity, to make all those loops of Dog terd LGX and safety chain.

Now that only Stihl is left, and a Monopoly is at hand, the next stop is full Chineese production.

#### Blount and Oregon.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I actually perfer the lpx in 3/8 for speed and smooth over the rsc and alm, but it hard to beat carlton chisel for kinda stay sharp, just seems you can't get it all that sharp. The corner just ani't as well defined as the stihl and oregon. May be thats why it hangs in there longer.
Then again i'm just a dumb hillbilly.

I actually perfer the lpx in 3/8 for speed and smooth over the rsc and alm, but it hard to beat carlton chisel for kinda stay sharp, just seems you can't get it all that sharp. The corner just ani't as well defined as the stihl and oregon. May be thats why it hangs in there longer.

That defined corner on LGX and LPX dosn't hold up for long and goes dead dull quick.
Real nice if you're just making a cut or two in clean and sanitary wood, but useless if you have a pile of skidded stuff that is already high in silica content. That's the point in good semi-chisel...and Oregon just killed the best out there.

Now I suppose we could run the Oregon DP or whatever, with the goofy bumper links, and at half again more price wise, but why?
It's as soft and terdish as LGX. LOL!!

You ain't dumb, you're dead nuts on Carltons Full chisel. It never was as fast as RSC or LGX.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I guess that's why mines been backordered for so long.

So is there a replacement other than oregon crusty dog turds, as Dinger would say?

Sh!# like this had to happen :msp_rolleyes:

So what are JM stocking to substitute it ?

Jakmax haven't said mate. Not sure what they'll do but I'm sure they'll sort something out just not sure what.

I hope no other bastard bought them but if they still have their last 3 rolls they're mine. Oh and one for you ;)

Not dumb at all! :cheers:

One more point is that Carlton isn't as smooth in the cut, as they don't use a Low vibe chassis.

This sucks as the A3-EP skip semi chisel is/was a massive seller here. Ah well, standard EP and a 1mm cut off disc may have to suffice...

You won't be able to make proper skip chain that way, regardles which cutters you choose to cut away! :msp_wink:

One more point is that Carlton isn't as smooth in the cut, as they don't use a Low vibe chassis.

When was the last time you saw the later versions of Carlton chain and then please explain what a low vibe chassis entails. I'm not sure where you're pulling your Carlton data from Sawtroll but it certainly isn't from first hand use across a wide range of chain types and pitches.

You won't be able to make proper skip chain that way, regardles which cutters you choose to cut away! :msp_wink:

Of course you can't but you can remove 1/3 of the cutters (or more if necessary). Common on longer bars, particularly when milling.

That defined corner on LGX and LPX dosn't hold up for long and goes dead dull quick.
Real nice if you're just making a cut or two in clean and sanitary wood, but useless if you have a pile of skidded stuff that is already high in silica content. That's the point in good semi-chisel...and Oregon just killed the best out there.

Now I suppose we could run the Oregon DP or whatever, with the goofy bumper links, and at half again more price wise, but why?
It's as soft and terdish as LGX. LOL!!

You ain't dumb, you're dead nuts on Carltons Full chisel. It never was as fast as RSC or LGX.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I've been paying closer attention at it seems that I get about half the use out of an oregon loop versus a stihl loop...

For all the claims they make of tempering and hardening it seems like everything Oregon puts out with their name on it is quite soft.

I picked up a jonsered 630 with what appears to be the original sandvik bar on it--now that was a good bar. The rails are rock hard, but no chipping.

Who still buys it at this point though? A large timber companies still somehow happy with it? Asplundh and Davey?

Last edited:
..... I'm not sure where you're pulling your Carlton data from Sawtroll but it certainly isn't from first hand use across a wide range of chain types and pitches.

I've always said that my experience with Carlton is limited, as they are basically not sold here. The few I got was sent to me by a friendly US member (Mark Heimann), a few years ago.

The single 16" 3/8 chisel one I have is still in use, and it is easy to feel the difference in smoothness compared to LP, RSC and LGX chain - but it isn't a big issue. :msp_smile:

View attachment 192517View attachment 192518
I've always said that my experience with Carlton is limited, as they are basically not sold here. The few I got was sent to me by a friendly US member (Mark Heimann), a few years ago.

The single 16" 3/8 chisel one I have is still in use, and it is easy to feel the difference in smoothness compared to LP, RSC and LGX chain - but it isn't a big issue. :msp_smile:
File you a good square corner on that carlton and it will cut smoother than even the lp.
, even without the "low vibe" chassis.

Last edited:
Back