cabin building business model??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishcountry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking about down the road after getting some more milling time under my belt that starting a small "wee" type cabin building business would be a great way to supplement my other business I know right now is not the time since people can't even sell homes around here but this is something that has always interested me since I was a kid and watched Grizzly Adams. I would want to just build a couple a year to get started I like the rustic looks of timerframe, log and corwood ect. We have a Cabela's nearby that sells them made by conestoga and they are really neat but to me look cookie cutterish and pretty pricey for what you get plus there's room for some rustic touches and craftsmanship. Am I crazy??? Where would you guys start I have lots of time to research I haven't found much on the business end with the subject so if anyone have some input or links do's and don'ts from a builders perspective it would be much appreciated! Thanks irishcountry

Well, I certainly wouldn't go into a venture like this with the intention of undercutting the "kit" industry, unless of course you have absolutley no respect for the value of your time and labor.

The other issue you will undoubtedly run into is the issue of building codes and engineer approved plans and specs.

Do your homework carefully.

irish,

I bet there's a market for a quality small timber frame that can be customized by the owner.

As you've read I am working on a timber framed barn. You can turn out simple post and beam frames in your spare time in a wood shop if you have the logs available. The beauty of post and beam is that the dimensions can largely be set by the beams and plates, the braces and corner posts in a simple design can all be the same. So you can work up posts and braces and then work with the client on total dimensions. A 4 post frame could go to 16' square using 8x8 timbers. Customers (and you) could decide how much they want from you from just the frame to all the fixin's.

I've been thinking of the same "cottage" industry myself.

I'd say from log to finished post, with a good set up, you could do a post in about 2 hours working time. Lot's of value add if you can get the logs for free.

Something to think about. The scale is right, as there is a LOT of competition out there for log and timber frame homes. Go for the cute little hunting cabins.

-redoak

whoops, I was thinking 2 hour to carve the joinery, lets say an hour to turn out an 8x8 x 10', so 3 hours total to carve a post from a log. And of course, that's working time doesn't count if you're taking a break for one of these:
:cheers:

-redoak

I know right now is not the time since people can't even sell homes around here

Not sure about that. I saw a news story the other day that showed people building 100 square foot homes. They had sold 6 already this year. They were selling between 15000 and 45000 :jawdrop: Guess some people need granite countertops even if the kitchen is only 20 square feet

Hey husky I totally understand the value involved in the kit industry it the fit and finish that seem kinda cookiecutter to me I don't exactly doubt the value from a time and ease of putting up point of view. Redoak I meant what you knew I figured that was what you were saying your doing a heck of a job on your project keep it up it seems theirs room for someone with a niche especially timberframe at least thats how I see it but I love em' so take it for what you will!! Backwood yeah I have seen what your talking about thats kinda some of what got me thinking you would think you could design and build something of that nature for quite a bit less and still make a little profit, I kinda thought that the same concept could be used but something with a bit more intricate features leaning toward rustic/camping/hunting. I have gotten alot of the fancy timberframe mags in the past just to look at the pics (but I can read too HA!!) I gotta tell ya I went to a new Bass Pro shop in Perrysburg OH last week and the entryway was awesome I wished I could shrink it and stick it on the front of my house they used whole trees peeled with the root base intact for the posts they rested on stone pilliars looked awesome anyways don't want to ramble too much thanks for the replys CHEERS :cheers:

Latest posts

Back