cabling large tree over historic building

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mquinn

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
would appreciate any opinions on the following situation:

a 40" dbh sycamore with hollow stem and large (16" d) limbs requiring cabling over a historic landmark. considering the size of the limbs, would eye bolts be more appropriate than j lags?

I see this is the new question on several forums. I'd link you up with any one of several recent good threads on the subject, but I don't have the knack for it yet. I'd go with an eyebolt clear through the limb backed up with washer-nut-washer-nut on the far end and a rod through the crotch. It will all depend on the situation, though, and I'm eying the dynamic systems more and more. I'll let the dynamic cabling guys take over from here, with all their arguements and so forth. I'm just here to get it started. One vote steel.

If you're going to go steel, then yes, I'd through-bolt it. The hollow in the stem may work it's way up those large limbs.

You may also want to consider treating any exposed hollow spots per our "Sealing Wounds" thread, too.

Generally, if decay is an issue at all, go with steel. If the supported limb is bigger than your thigh, go with through bolts, especially with an historic item in the target zone.

Latest posts

Back