Cabling Question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been working on a massive Elm that had been topped at 30-40' maybe 20-25 years ago. The regrowth was weeping nearly to ground level, on the house and there were many split limbs from storm damage. I cleaned out the hangers and reduced the crown by about 25%. Not much I could do with this tree as it is one of the worst cases of topping I have encountered. There is a lot of rot in the old stubs and the tree is just not in very good shape. The customer insists on keeping the tree so I advised cabling in addition to the crown (if you can even call it that) reduction. It is split at the bottom with a large cavity in between the two main stems going into the ground. I am wanting to cable it to give it some support and hopefully keep one of the main stems from coming over on her house. I have never cabled a tree this large and am wondering what the most affordable and effective route would be on the cabling materials.

Any suggestions?

With the evident decay, I would go with heavy rope cable. The decay courts could be pretty deep into the trunk.

With the basal decay is bracing an option?

I tried to save cracked white pine with an extensive trunk decay...tree failed 6 weeks later above the stitching (14 thru 7/8 bolts ). At least I put up a fight. There was NO significant targets near this tree.

img0192e.jpg

Latest posts

Back