Camp Cuisine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rounder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is a stupid idea that just popped into my head since I've had the luxury of being home every night this week and eating well....getting spoiled fast......

What's your favorite dinner recipe when in camp? I've found that variety is a life saver.

One of my favorites is making mini pizzas on pita bread in the skillet.

Let's hear 'em, I'll be in camp most of the summer, fall, winter, spring, summer, fall, winter, spring........... ughhhhh -Sam

This is a stupid idea that just popped into my head since I've had the luxury of being home every night this week and eating well....getting spoiled fast......

What's your favorite dinner recipe when in camp? I've found that variety is a life saver.

One of my favorites is making mini pizzas on pita bread in the skillet.

Let's hear 'em, I'll be in camp most of the summer, fall, winter, spring, summer, fall, winter, spring........... ughhhhh -Sam

uncle Jake's skillet

cook up as much bacon as you want, then set it aside but leave the grease in the pan, next put 5-6 diced potatoes in the skillet to cook in the grease, when the taters are almost done put in any onions or peppers you want

when that's all good and cooked, toss the bacon back in to heat back up and pour in about 6 scrambled eggs

let the eggs cook for about 1 minute to let the bottom firm up and then cut it into pie shaped slices and flip over to cook the top of the peices

Try some sweet potatoes in the bacon grease cut just like fried potatoes. Cabbage with butter wrapped in aluminum foil can be cooked on a grill or oven. Peppers, mushrooms, and onions in aluminum foil pan on the grill with a sirloin steak is a decent meal that's not super expensive. I cook most of the time at home and wherever i'm staying if there's means to.

I know what you mean Sam. I'm fighting hunger right now myself. I'll have to grill out tomorrow now.

Might get some chicken breast marinated in a touch of beer, roasted red pepper salad dressing and a touch of garlic. That and what my wife calls pipeline potatoes might be dinner. The pipeline potatoes are a potatoe cut in half with a real thick slice of onion then baked or put on the grill for 25 minutes until nice and soft and the onion is done. Maybe a corn on the cob grilled in the shucks with it.

I see that a former co-worker of mine (and good friend) is browsing this thread. He and I used to live off strictly bratwurst and a lot of beer for several years......hard living.....good times, lol

SAM! By God how are ya? Gagne here. Got bored and found this site recently. Then, saw some pics of you and Habs. Damn cool! How ya been brother? Left my phone in the RCD foresters truck on Monday and he's gone til Tuesday. I'm finding the effects on my life pretty minimal since I never answer it anyway. In fact, its kind of liberating. I'll call you when I get it back. Sawing up between Paradise and Hot Springs right now. Gonna try to get in a day this weekend then go fish upper thompson lake for pike and perch on sun. or mon.. In response to the camp grub question...pabst.

uncle Jake's skillet

cook up as much bacon as you want, then set it aside but leave the grease in the pan, next put 5-6 diced potatoes in the skillet to cook in the grease, when the taters are almost done put in any onions or peppers you want

when that's all good and cooked, toss the bacon back in to heat back up and pour in about 6 scrambled eggs

let the eggs cook for about 1 minute to let the bottom firm up and then cut it into pie shaped slices and flip over to cook the top of the peices
thats a standrd in my camp, but i also add localy aquired red meat.:msp_wink:

Ha Ha...and the story behind the rodeo name is that this old guy who lives down the road from me yelled at me every time I drove by his house " SLOW THE #### DOWN THERE RODEO!!!"

SAM! By God how are ya? Gagne here. Got bored and found this site recently. Then, saw some pics of you and Habs. Damn cool! How ya been brother? Left my phone in the RCD foresters truck on Monday and he's gone til Tuesday. I'm finding the effects on my life pretty minimal since I never answer it anyway. In fact, its kind of liberating. I'll call you when I get it back. Sawing up between Paradise and Hot Springs right now. Gonna try to get in a day this weekend then go fish upper thompson lake for pike and perch on sun. or mon.. In response to the camp grub question...pabst.

Been good.....busy as ####......not sure why you ever got a phone in the first place, lol. And yes, Pabst is good eating.

Watch out for this guy folks, he's quite the character.....and a damn good faller.....

Sam. Best camp grub yet was probably that slab of home made pizza your hot wife made and you brought up to that state job we did. Say Hi to J for me.

Sam. Best camp grub yet was probably that slab of home made pizza your hot wife made and you brought up to that state job we did. Say Hi to J for me.

Will do, she does make damn good pizza

Been good.....busy as ####......not sure why you ever got a phone in the first place, lol. And yes, Pabst is good eating.

Watch out for this guy folks, he's quite the character.....and a damn good faller.....

We need all we can get..of both. I don't know where all his red rep came from but I changed it back to green.

Back on topic...Steak and eggs was always my favorite...supper and breakfast both. Lots of potatoes always. Sometimes I'd cook a couple of roasts, one beef, one pork, on the weekends and bring them to camp.

Actually, especially by the end of the week when supplies started to run low, we'd eat anything that held still long enough. It was amazing how many deer fell down, broke a leg, and had to be put out of their misery.

As long as we didn't run out of coffee and tobacco we could make do with just about anything.

Last edited:
On long camps, or extendend hunts.....we take a lot of smoked or cured meats. Pork, beef (pastrami), sausage, and smoke game as well as chicken.

My dad make a hell of a blueberry desert in a dutch oven.

He also taught me to make a complete dutch oven breakfast, with lots of peppers, onions, eggs, taters, sasuage, garlic, onions, ( love onions ).

Also learned how to dutch oven deep fry...onion rings ( surprise ) and even green tomatoes.

And when I am home? My wife likes the same stuff I have been living on for a couple of weeks....:msp_tongue:

The smoked stuff is fast and does not need to be cooked....great with sandwiches too.

I think that was probably me that did the red repping. Hair trigger sometimes. Sorry about that Chief. I rarely do red except for HBRN, thanks for the reset Bob.

I have blown up beans in a Cat stack.

Building a log cabin with my contractor cousin, Tom...I would gather puff ball mushrooms every morning just after the rain would stop.

Most of 'em were only a couple inches accross.

He kept warning me not to eat them.

I cooked them seperate from his whiny ass breakfast.

Finally he decided to try them, about the eighth day out.

I had gathered some morels and puff ball 'shrooms. Cleaned and cooked them up in onions, garlic and butter.

Scooped up a big plate of them to go with his bacon, eggs and taters.

Watch him eat them like candy. ( He had not seen me cook or eat morels before )....

Then he asks, "why are'nt you eating any shrooms today"?

Told him I had to wait a while.

He asked again about half an hour later.....finally I said "I don't know if the new ones were lethal or not".

'Bout got my ass handed to me that day.

They were fantastic fried shrooms....

Ranch Stew

3 cans kidney beans. (get the kind with water and do not drain) 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, 1 lb. burger, 1 roll of jimmy dean sausage, (Do no be a flatlander and sub for any other kind of sausage!) Sometimes I sub the sausage for bacon when I'm feeling froggy.1 can of corn Brown the burger sausage and or bacon, drain all fat and pat it down with paper towles. Get a big ass pot and add the beans, soup, corn, and meat, and stir like a bastard till it boils. May need to add some water, but not much. Be prepared to enjoy a double dirty rotten good meal!

Deeker: we get the point man. you win. I'm just kidding you cause you took it to a whole different level.

Gologit: Thanks man.

Jesus almighty you boys camp high on the hog! Do y'all bring the lounge chair and TV too? :hmm3grin2orange:

Here's my secret recipe, don't go spreading it around!

Pork N Beans, Vienna sausages, open can and pour down throat. . . :msp_biggrin:

Randy: No problem. probably in response to my first post...(sometimes a great...)

Sam: You've got to get your ass up here when the water goes down. Work the day (if you want a little side work here and there this summer), then head down to the little thompson and yank out some trout. Add butter, garlic and pabst. I knew I could tie back into the topic at hand.