Camp Lejeune Water

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were stationed at MCAS Beaufort when Brock was diagnosed with cancer, always wondered. I know that they found that the contamination at Lejeune was from the dry cleaners across 24 from housing, owner was dumping all his chemicals in the back of his property, then it made its way over to the groundwater for the well right across the street. Well is still there too? Dont get it, poisoning your customers cant be good for business. Not to mention DRMO is right there, and that place is a EPA gold mine.

Camp Lejeaun isn't in SC, it's in Nc, Parris Island is in SC, I have family that were at both before 1987..

I smell the beginning of the latest version of "gulf war syndrome". I am aware of the groundwater contamination due to improper dumping and handling of chemicals on the island, what a shame..

It has been going on for a long time, the front-man for us (I in and out of CLNC from84 on) had a daughter who died of leukemia. The incidence of male breast cancer is considerably higher in our population. I've gone over a lot of literature on this and GWS, (I was with the Amphib element for the entire show) there are many similarities in the problems experiance by the two populations. "general, nonspecific ailments". I have muscle spasms (locked bot in contraction and extension) throughout my body; a physio-therapist called it "global tendonopathy", chronic IBS...it gets harder and harder to get out of bed some times. At least I do not have multiple cancers yet!

One of the things that gets me is how the military lawyers up like tobacco executives when these things pop up.

Rftreeman

Camp Lejeaun isn't in SC, it's in Nc, Parris Island is in SC, I have family that were at both before 1987..

Rich, the link is about an SC newspaper looking for former Marines who were at CLNC before '87. Pass the link on to them. There are many Marines who have had inexplicable medical problems (Cancer..) that the VA and USMC have brushed off "Not our responsibility.." that ruined families financially, and sometimes killed the veteran.

Sorry to hear about that water situation JP. It does happen, we have a 5k conditioner and distilling process for our water and hearing about this makes me realize that everybody needs one. Its the distilling that ensures clean water, nothing else gets it all out. UV don't do nitrates and chemicals
I walked through the kitchen today at the daycare and almost had a fit when I saw the cook filling little cups of water from the tap. Its city water there, we are on a well at our house and there is a difference of course so at least I know she is getting her chlorine.

Sorry to hear about that water situation JP. It does happen, we have a 5k conditioner and distilling process for our water and hearing about this makes me realize that everybody needs one. Its the distilling that ensures clean water, nothing else gets it all out. UV don't do nitrates and chemicals
I walked through the kitchen today at the daycare and almost had a fit when I saw the cook filling little cups of water from the tap. Its city water there, we are on a well at our house and there is a difference of course so at least I know she is getting her chlorine.

There was a really nice soup of stuff there, tons of spilled fuel, dry cleaning solvent, various chemical weapons, industrial solvents...

Extent of contamination

Did it only affect the one well? I spent several weeks in Jacksonville in '94 working Hurricane Fran. Lot to do in that town after work hrs. Good seafood too. I'm assuming the situation was adressed since they referenced '87 and earlier exposure.

Did it only affect the one well? I spent several weeks in Jacksonville in '94 working Hurricane Fran. Lot to do in that town after work hrs. Good seafood too. I'm assuming the situation was adressed since they referenced '87 and earlier exposure.

My understanding is that the contaminated water came from wells used by the CLNC treatment plant, the Jax NC water was not affected to my knowledge. I am sure that by 94, even private wells are tested near to the of contamination plume.

I was there from 1976-1978. They have me on their list so the Doctors know what to look for in an autopsy.

Latest posts

Back