Can anyone recommend an Axe/Adze handle for a 3lb axe head?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus von herten

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I acquired a cool axe head from Bulgaria, which is a bearded axe. I want to use a 24-30 inch handle for it so it can be a nice camp axe.

The eye is huge and weird shaped, so I can’t just order a handle for it.

I had a white ash branch but at 1.75 in diameter, it is too small to haft onto the axe head.

I need about a 2.0 x 1.25 inch shoulder area to fit through the eye.

I like the curvature of an axe handle but there are none with enough material that I know of, particularly around 30 inches in length. Don’t know if a mail or adze handle would work.

If I have to make my own, any recommended source for hickory with the right grain orientation?

Thanks in advance.

Inner dimensions of axe eye.

94aa35b34cb419131a7932cdb738b899.jpg

Bearded axe blade profile

1b9c40f398c43a5825e5aafd3711823c.jpg

View of eye

b40527532c18debdc6b31722b3949871.jpg

Thanks for that lead. I’m going to buy a 36 inch felling axe handle and I’ll cut the eye insert and re-carve and fit a new one out of the existing shoulder, and finally a new shoulder a bit lower.

I’m hoping there will be enough meat there.

House Handles maybe? European hafts are usually made of ash that isn't nearly as strong as the hickory hafts of American axes; hence they are beefier. I think you'd have better luck scouring Europe. Better yet carve one yourself.

following...
hope to see pics of it finished! Beautiful axe, nice score

Thanks for that lead. I’m going to buy a 36 inch felling axe handle and I’ll cut the eye insert and re-carve and fit a new one out of the existing shoulder, and finally a new shoulder a bit lower.

I’m hoping there will be enough meat there.
Good luck on fitting a felling axe to the eye. If your dimensions are correct, then 1&1/4" wide is a 1/2" larger than 3/4"-13/16" felling axe. HOUSE HANDLE. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. THEY'LL HAVE A HANDLE YOU CAN FIT.

Latest posts

Back