can i put a husky 61 top end on my 51?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffandJess4806

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Husky 51 whats can i upgrade to ? will a 61 fit? I am pretty sure the 55 will work

I am pretty sure the 55 will work, maybe i can play aroung with porting it for more power

HiOctane and Saw Troll are both right....the 61 will not fit...whole different crank...thus a different case...will not fit.

Look it up on Acres..
51...CYLINDER BORE: 45 mm (1.77 in.)
PISTON STROKE: 32 mm (1.26 in.)

61..CYLINDER BORE: 48 mm (1.89 in.)
PISTON STROKE: 34 mm (1.34 in.)

So to answqer your orginal question..."what will fit?"... the 55 will fit... has a bigger cylinder and thus a bigger piston..:cheers:

Last edited:
I took it apart tonight, does not look to bad looks like they tried to use lots of WD40 to free it up was oily , I think the CYL will clean up good, I will pick up a piston/ring and some gaskets and it should be ready.

husky51001.jpg

husky51003.jpg

Last edited:
The way the piston is messed up,i doubt very strongly your cyl will be still usable .And i just notice it.If you rebuild it,buy a nylon air filter instead of this felt one junk.

If it dont i plan to pick up a 55 Cyl and piston off Ebay

The way the piston is messed up,i doubt very strongly your cyl will be still usable .And i just notice it.If you rebuild it,buy a nylon air filter instead of this felt one junk.

Keep us posted.

Let us know how the rebuild goes. I have a 51 and I've been thinking about putting a top end from a 55 on it. I've seen top ends on Ebay before. I just missed a bid on an new OEM 55 top end that only went for like $110. I've also heard that GB makes very good aftermarket parts.

yup sure is the old one in the basement this talbe has had lots of stuff workerd on it, hell deer processed and all, dont tell the wife but i have had my 7900 on our good dinner table but a saw likw the 7900 should have it's own spot at the table!!!

Let us know how the rebuild goes. I have a 51 and I've been thinking about putting a top end from a 55 on it. I've seen top ends on Ebay before. I just missed a bid on an new OEM 55 top end that only went for like $110. I've also heard that GB makes very good aftermarket parts.

I have rebuilt a couple 51's and 55's with aftermarket top ends that I got from curt bailey awhile back.

My buddy has one that gets used quite a bit on a 300+ acre farm. He probably uses it 1-2 times a week for 4-6 hours at a time. I put it together over a year ago and I just had it back a couple weeks ago and took it apart to check it out. It seems good.

The other one was put on one of my saws that gets used as a loaner and general abuse. It is still holding togehter just fine.

Just be weary, if the saw scored the p/c because of an air leak.....it is still going to have problems

Latest posts

Back