Can I save this oak tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikestree

Reaction score
Leaves are falling off tree. Also has red colored moss looking stuff on it.
I do not know if it is diseased,infested or other. If you have any ideas please help.

Looks like the tree is growing at a 30* angle just above the ground. (on second look, maybe even 15*)

Is it uprooted, or just naturally growing that way?

If you didn't want the leaves to fall off, you should not have cut it down!
:jester: :jester:

That's not moss, those are Lichen. Lichen are sort of a cross between fungi and algea. The good news is, they don't hurt trees.
Take a picture of the leaves, and the tree as a whole, for more on why the leaves are falling.
Have you had any abnormally high temperatures in your area, or a higher than normal rainfall this year?

Likin' those lichens

Once upon a time, there was a gregarious fellow who liked to throw parties. He was a Fun Guy. He was friends with a soul singer whose records were not selling anymore, Al Green. Al was also quite a chef; people raved about his recipes. Al lost his lease, and needed a place to stay. The Fun Guy invited him in, so Al Green (Al G. for short) could make the food for his friends.

Fungi supports Algae, which photosynthesizes the food for the fungus, AND the host tree may also have a pathway to that carbohydrate.

I first heard this story from a 12-year-old student, who told it much better than I can.

So, moral of the story is you better be a good cook if you dont pay your lease ... no?

Or perhaps, pay your lease so you dont have to cook for everybody else?

Hmmm ... ah, something like that i think.

treeseer said:
Fungi supports Algae, which photosynthesizes the food for the fungus, AND the host tree may also have a pathway to that carbohydrate.

Are you suggesting Lichen don't exist? That they are only two separate entities?
And are you further suggesting the tree is parasitic(or possibly symbiotic) to the fungi/algae combination?

Mike Maas said:
Are you suggesting Lichen don't exist? That they are only two separate entities?
nO, THEY ARE NOT SEPARATE BUT JOINED, IN A HOUSEHOLD! "Ecology" means "study of the house', right?
And are you further suggesting the tree is parasitic(or possibly symbiotic) to the fungi/algae combination?
I am suggesting that the tree may be a partner in the association, and just draw a little excess food out of the deal.

Like I said, my student told it a lot better.:deadhorse:

Latest posts

Back