Can I Use A Chain From A Sthil On A Husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironpig70

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i work for a rental company and policy is to swap out the chain after each use. and alot of the chains show no to little use. figure i'd buy them from work and save $$$ if i could do this. saws at work use oregon #72 3/8" .050 pitch. the chain i use on my husky 142 is #91 3/8" .050 pitch. whats the difference in the 72 and 91 and will this work???? i know the links will be differnt but we have the tools to make chains thus i can make them smaller or larger if needed.

i work for a rental company and policy is to swap out the chain after each use. and alot of the chains show no to little use. figure i'd buy them from work and save $$$ if i could do this. saws at work use oregon #72 3/8" .050 pitch. the chain i use on my husky 142 is #91 3/8" .050 pitch. whats the difference in the 72 and 91 and will this work???? i know the links will be differnt but we have the tools to make chains thus i can make them smaller or larger if needed.

72 is standard 3/8 ..........91 is Low Profile 3/8............

Last edited:
so it will work:hmm3grin2orange: sweet. so is a chain a chain as far as 3/8 is 3/8 i know low profile and such but a 3/8 will work on any saw running 3/8

It does work...

The only thing you gotta remember is the chain from a stihl in a husky is a little sloppy in the bar. It does work and I've done it MANY times... Just take out a couple links from the husky chain to get it to work in the stihl. This is the one thing you need to remember. The Husky chains are a LITTLE bit wider, .058 vs. the .050 like on the Stihls. I've done it alot and never ran into a problem. Be careful, but I think you'll see it works like a champ... :popcorn:

You may find the 72 series a bit much to pull with the Husky, kinda like putting super swampers on a small sports car that was desiged to take a 50 series tire even though both may have the same rim diameter.

72 in a bar meant for a 91 WILL NOT WORK the depth of the drivers is lo pro as well as the tooth. the sprocket on the saw and on the bar will not accommodate the full size chain.

Scott

No way!!! A stihl chain on a husky..........it'll never work. As soon as you put it on it will catch fire and as it burns you will here the souls of dead loggers screamin in the smoke. After that you'll need an old priest and a young priest to get your husky to run right again.

The only thing you gotta remember is the chain from a stihl in a husky is a little sloppy in the bar. It does work and I've done it MANY times... Just take out a couple links from the husky chain to get it to work in the stihl. This is the one thing you need to remember. The Husky chains are a LITTLE bit wider, .058 vs. the .050 like on the Stihls. I've done it alot and never ran into a problem. Be careful, but I think you'll see it works like a champ... :popcorn:

Cisco your referring to 72 vs. 73 chain this guy is talking about 91 series saw trying to put in 72 series..

Scott

You may find the 72 series a bit much to pull with the Husky, kinda like putting super swampers on a small sports car that was desiged to take a 50 series tire even though both may have the same rim diameter.

dude i build 4x4's also and i can get swampers on a pinto:greenchainsaw: guess i'll grab a chunk of chain and see what it does depth wise in the bar. looked at my manly saw(husky 395) and it uses 72 chain so if nothing else i'll use the chain on that. only problem with that is the chain will need to be lenghten and thus need 2 chain splices is that safe and sane or asking for trouble.

Ahhhhh

Cisco your referring to 72 vs. 73 chain this guy is talking about 91 series saw trying to put in 72 series..

Scott

Gotcha buddy. I didn't catch that. I know on the bottom of my chains, the oregon ones, and lately all I've been using is the oregons I got from you guys, those blued ones, I love them by the way. I know I've taken my stihl chains and slapped them on my husky's with not a single problem, i just usually have to turn in the tightener a little more than normal, shorter chain by like 4 links or something... Check your PM dude. I had a question for ya. :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back