Can lack of storm cap cause excessive creosote buildup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802climber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Conventional Fisher, double 90* elbows and 24" horizontal to get into the chinmey which is a 8" cast iron chimney in a 2 story house with NO storm cap. Burning amazing kiln-dried hardwood.

I basically have to burn a super-hot fire at all times or let it go out.. shut it down for the night, and get ridiculous buildup fast.

I would think not having the storm cap would cause extra condensation and moisture, meaning reduced flue temps and excess creosote buildup. Anyone?

(This is my 3rd woodstove setup and never had a problem, other than I need to stop moving!)

I've never heard tell of a cast iron flue pipe before. Am wondering if a previous owner used ductile pipe to make the chimney. If that's the case, the creosote buildup may be due to the flue pipe taking longer to heat. Unlike a SS liner, cast iron heats slowly and transfers heat rather quickly.

Most of the residential chineys here don't have storm caps. I would think that, if lack of a cap caused additional creosote problems they'd have caps. A cap will keep rain out of your flue, however.

not sure i have outdoor woodburner that forces hot air in thr a single duct,i know that sometimes on mine when i let it burn out or shut it down i get more creo........

Its from cold chimney, insulate that thing with something and you will be fine.

Yeah, cold chimney for sure. Sounds like my "theory" is BS. I don't know what you mean by insulating it, the 8" round chimney is enclosed in a chimney built out of cinderblocks or something. So this would be an extra benefit of metalbestos, the added "insulation"?

I am not 100% sure it is cast iron but it is some kind of very thick piping, looked like cast, what else could it be?

Back