Can someone possibly help identify this wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve406sbc

Reaction score
Currently at a friend's house in Ocean Park Washington. We came across this piece of wood, threw it on the lathe yesterday and turn it smooth. If I'd have thought about it I would have taken a picture of it with the bark still on it, but I didn't think about it at the time. But anyway, this started out as pure blonde wood, and overnight it turned this color. By the way it showered us with water while we were turning it. The smell, along with other characteristics about it remind me of cottonwood, but it seems a little too smooth and a little too hard to me. Anyone have any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_20221030_234001084.jpg
    IMG_20221030_234001084.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221030_235046919.jpg
    IMG_20221030_235046919.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Currently at a friend's house in Ocean Park Washington. We came across this piece of wood, threw it on the lathe yesterday and turn it smooth. If I'd have thought about it I would have taken a picture of it with the bark still on it, but I didn't think about it at the time. But anyway, this started out as pure blonde wood, and overnight it turned this color. By the way it showered us with water while we were turning it. The smell, along with other characteristics about it remind me of cottonwood, but it seems a little too smooth and a little too hard to me. Anyone have any idea?
Welcome to AS Steve.
I have no idea what it is, sure the crew here will get it figured out, lots of knowledge here.
Brett

Considering your location and the fact that you stated water comes out when turning on the lathe, my guess is cedar. Cedar logs are often used to float houseboats. When they become water logged and lose their buoyancy they are replaced and discarded. Just a guess. :cool: OT

Latest posts

Back