Can this Maple be saved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twstm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Or is it Firewood material? Not sure what kind of Maple it is? The tree was already in this condition when we bought the house....it's not looking too healthy. Should I cut it down before it falls down?

96928779-M.jpg

96928791-M.jpg

96928776-M.jpg

twstm said:
Or is it Firewood material? Not sure what kind of Maple it is? The tree was already in this condition when we bought the house....it's not looking too healthy. Should I cut it down before it falls down?

96928779-M.jpg

96928791-M.jpg

96928776-M.jpg

You can probably keep it for now. Monitor for decay and have the crown lightened up. It's a red maple (Acer rubrum), not especially decay resistant, but iit is beginning to seal over with callus growth.

Dave is right. The callus is turning into woundwood, which has been measured in red maple to be 40% stronger than regular wood. Focus on the donut, not the hole.

Take a pic of the whole crown and the guys here may put red lines where the cuts in the top could be.

Crown pic

treeseer said:
Dave is right. The callus is turning into woundwood, which has been measured in red maple to be 40% stronger than regular wood. Focus on the donut, not the hole.

Take a pic of the whole crown and the guys here may put red lines where the cuts in the top could be.

I'll try and get a picture of the whole crown today.....

NO targets are visible from the picture angle. The forks are not that sound--tight angles, included bark. If there are things that can be hurt if those forks fail, that affects the decisions re pruning or possibly cabling the outside leads together.

Back