Can this Stewartia grow a new leader?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

First time posting, looking forward to learning from this community!

Stewie, pictured here, is a Stewartia pseudocamellia we planted in 2019 in Providence, RI (6b). It did very well until a drought in September 2021. Work and pandemic and kids got out of hand and we neglected to adequately water the poor tree. It lost its leader, as you can see. The rest of the tree is doing fine, it blooms beautifully each year. I am wondering if there is a way to cut it back to coax it into growing a new leader. It has a sizeable and healthy branch coming off the stump just below the ending, not sure how that would play into it. I would rather have a healthy stumpy Stewie than a dead Stewie.

Curious to learn any ideas or thoughts!

Thank you,

Sam

PS - I hope you can see the images - not sure how best to put them in, full size versus thumbnail. Open to feedback.

IMG_5498 2.jpgIMG_5500 2.jpgIMG_5499 2.jpg

Based on the pictures I would:
Shave off the dead wood
Drive in a t post to the right
And tie off that main branch as straight up as possible.
Will take a year or 3, but I’ve seen it done.

Hello,

First time posting, looking forward to learning from this community!

Stewie, pictured here, is a Stewartia pseudocamellia we planted in 2019 in Providence, RI (6b). It did very well until a drought in September 2021. Work and pandemic and kids got out of hand and we neglected to adequately water the poor tree. It lost its leader, as you can see. The rest of the tree is doing fine, it blooms beautifully each year. I am wondering if there is a way to cut it back to coax it into growing a new leader. It has a sizeable and healthy branch coming off the stump just below the ending, not sure how that would play into it. I would rather have a healthy stumpy Stewie than a dead Stewie.

Curious to learn any ideas or thoughts!

Thank you,

Sam

PS - I hope you can see the images - not sure how best to put them in, full size versus thumbnail. Open to feedback.

View attachment 1162163View attachment 1162164View attachment 1162165
I think Stewie looks great, as is. That bark color is awesome. :heart:

Back