can ya run skunk pee for bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yup!! cant walk into a bar without dropping a 50.00 at the enterance.... lol when times were tough, i used a mix of 2 qts. motor oil(used and strained) and 2 qts. of bar oil to cut the cost.. but ? if you have a local fleet supply their bar oil is 5.67 a gallon for all season..

I quit buying Stihl bar oil, it's too much, I guess if you go through a couple gallon a year isn't bad but when you are cutting a bunch and your using that in a day or two it gets to be to much, I've recently been using the TSC bar oil for 5.99 or whatever it is, I think I'm going to try the Wal-mart Poluan oil next, to see what thats like. The Stihl is great but I'm not convinced it's worth the extra cost, the jury is still out on that;)

???can ya run skunk pee for bar oil??

That might prove to be interesting! However, I wouldn't want to work on the saw! It was bad enough when someone would bring in a bicycle with dog poo on the tires!

I know there are a lot of opinions about oil..... Here's mine.....The bar and chain need something to lub, cool, and clean. Will more expensive oil do this "better" verses the cheaper stuff? One would have to run two saws cutting in the same wood with the same person with chains sharpened the same... Unless there is a control in the experiment, there's a lot of speculation.

I'm currently running TS bar oil. $4.95/gal.

I know I don't run my saws as much as most of you guys on here. What are your thoughts?

Regards

Dan

I don't think brand matters much. Just make sure theres enough tack in it. I've seen some good cheap stuff and I've seen some cheap ####.

I use the farm store brand or the poulan oil from walmart, less than half price of stihl oil.

The cheap Poulan bar oil at Wal-Mart and Blowes is actually pretty good...it's thick and got lots of tack...strings like crazy (I've been using it for years :D)

The cheap "Ace" brand bar oil at Ace Hardware is good...not great...not near as much tack and its thin. It works good on long bars with the oiler cranked wide open. It's $3.99 gal.

On the skunk topic, I used to hunt them in the morning before I went to school...with a home-made bow and arrow (when I was growing up my father said I could only hunt with something I made with my own two hands, out of natural materials...a bow and arrows was the best thing I could come up with).
I used to shoot the skunks from a decent distance, make 'em dead...and never got sprayed...but usually stepped in the spray and got it on my boots.
Then spend the whole day at school stinking like skunk and no one ever could figure out who it was! :laugh:

I use the Poulan brand and just got a gallon from TSC because it was on sale.
I really can't tell the differance vs. Stihl or Husky oil.

Does anyone know of a compound that could be added as a thickening agent?

Maybe used motor oil well strained with something akin to cornstarch added?

Anyone ever ponder this?..................:popcorn:

Whatever is cheap and sticky. The last gallon of Poulan I used was pretty good. I used to buy it for winter use in the aux oiler on the mill because the regular stuff was too thick. I'm going to have to start using up some of that old 20w-50 in the aux oiler on the mill and just run the bar oil in the saw.

I've got a lot on hand right now though, I'm out of the bar oil market for a couple of years, unless we get a big storm again.

No, I'm not paying $12 a gallon for bar oil, I don't care what it says on it.

Poulan oil is about my fav, good viscosity until sap starts freezing down fresh stumps,

I have a special tecnique for getting it out of the can and into the tank in cold weather though.

its called the "glug" method...

i use

i use the pnw made durex brand bar and chain oil or whatever is on sale. i know one whacky homeowner who uses cheap cooking oil mixed with motor oil:dizzy::jawdrop:

i just use one thing in my saws BAR OIL:clap:

:cheers:

TSC $6/gallon, hard to do it much cheaper than that, at least around me.

I found a stihl guy up here who has it for $9 a gallon, so once I use up the TSC I'll think about going back maybe...

MGF

I'm with you Frank!!!

I quit buying Stihl bar oil, it's too much, I guess if you go through a couple gallon a year isn't bad but when you are cutting a bunch and your using that in a day or two it gets to be to much, I've recently been using the TSC bar oil for 5.99 or whatever it is, I think I'm going to try the Wal-mart Poluan oil next, to see what thats like. The Stihl is great but I'm not convinced it's worth the extra cost, the jury is still out on that;)

CSMing,,your gonna go tru alot of bar oil....I been using TSC oil and as good as anything else....

:laugh:

It's called a 'tackifier' that is added to bar oil and no, it isn't corn starch..... (or STP for that matter, which is a viscosity index improver, which is something different again)

Well, pondering this, I remember as a kid we had biscuits and gravy for breakfast just about every day and some mornings the gravy was kinda thin. It consisted of lard, bacon or sausage grease with a little flour and milk so I guess that would work, sorta thick and the grease would make it slick.:hmm3grin2orange: And if you spilled any, you could just sop it up with a biscuit, environmentally friendly.

Last edited:
Lol!!!

Well, pondering this, I remember as a kid we had biscuits and gravy for breakfast just about every day and some mornings the gravy was kinda thin. It consisted of lard, bacon or sausage grease with a little flour and milk so I guess that would work, sorta thick and the grease would make it slick.:hmm3grin2orange:

Really though....For winter time,,,I mix my bar oil with 30% canola and 70% bar oil for milling...Easyer on the oil pump....Winter time is hard on the saws!!!!

Canola oil lubes great but turns to nasty gunk and can be more trouble than it's worth. I do cut my Stihl oil with canola on the cheaper saws especially in the winter. Just make sure to run a tank or two of pure bar oil through before you put the saw away.

Latest posts

Back