Can you regulate the heat easily from your stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm most likely going to be building a house this summer (if my wife continues wanting a divorce). Anyway, I'm thinking about adding a couple of stoves and/or fireplaces. I grind stumps on the side so I always have access to wood. :biggrinbounce2: But, I'm wondering how the heat is regulated from these stoves. Do you fill it up in the morning for the day and have to regulate the flue or something manually to keep a consistent room temperature? What about at night when you fill it up before you go to bed. How do you keep it from putting out too much heat in the middle of the night when you're sleeping. Plus, since I'm about to be a bachelor I hate to get a ugly stove or fireplace which won't impress the ladies.:hmm3grin2orange: Any suggestions on a nice looking stove and/or fireplace that works well?

Many thanks as always!

Apparently I don't have any choice in letting her go. Good idea about carrying the wood! So, in my soon to start quest to court again I will test each applicant by seeing how much and how for they can carry a bundle of firewood! :laugh:

Yep, don't know a thing about wood stoves. I'll be happy to share information about cutting and grinding stumps in exchange though. :D

if you start corting again...look for one that can split wood too....and it's a bonus if she chew the same tobacco as you!!

Wood stoves have a(several) vents to let air in. If they are open, the let more air in=hotter fire=more heat. If you close them the run less hot and will take longer to burn the wood. I run my vents open when we are home and close them at night and when we are at work. When they are closed, my stove will still have red hot coals in at after about 10 hours...but I use ash or oak...both coal really well.

Man, from the fire into the woodburner?

I love heating with wood. One great temperature regulator we use is the window. Gets too hot in the house we open one or two up.

Woodstoves are messy: Chips, dust, ashes, etc.

Now the great stuff:
Chainsaws, 2 cycle fuel exhaust smell, Chainsaws, lots and lots of "free" heat, cutting wood year around. Did I mention chainsaws? Great discussions on Arboristsite. (I guess you don't have to mess with wood to enjoy AS, but it sure helps.)

Choosing a stove? Good luck there, I run an old style stove so no nothing about the new epa stuff.

it's sad things have to end between you and your wife, but don't buy a stove to impress the ladies...get one that you like...be selfish and judge your new courtships by the way they react to your new stove!!! (and if they are willing and offer to put wood in it when the fire gets low....):hmm3grin2orange:

good luck and remember my signature.....happy shopping...

Man, from the fire into the woodburner?

I love heating with wood. One great temperature regulator we use is the window. Gets too hot in the house we open one or two up.

Woodstoves are messy: Chips, dust, ashes, etc.

Now the great stuff:
Chainsaws, 2 cycle fuel exhaust smell, Chainsaws, lots and lots of "free" heat, cutting wood year around. Did I mention chainsaws?

A-friggin-men!

I might add another positive, wood fires are great for romancing the ladies...:heart:

Mountain momma

I will have to quote Geno on this one:
"They'll cook your supper, split your wood or kick your butt."
"whichever they think you deserve."

As for the stove, it depends. Some are better at this than others. Sometimes when you finally convince it to burn, come back in about an hour and :blob2: The thing is in thermo-meltdown mode. So you shut it down only to discover that now you are freezing. My way of thinking is that if you can keep things within about 15 deg of where you like, then it ain't too bad.

-Pat

wood stoves

Look into a lopi stove. They have a bunch of different models. Some efficient some not so efficient. They look cool to. GOOD LUCK WITH THE LADIES GO TEAM

Wood Stove is a Babe Magnet 101

Sorry about your divorce....life can be tough.
Splurge on a pretty, new, EPA wood stove. They are babe magnets :biggrinbounce2: ; especially the porcelain stoves that shine in her eyes. Unfortunately, only one company makes red enamel/porcelain wood stoves. But there are others that also attract.
Serious stuff though: EPA stoves save wood, burn more efficiently, as well as cleaner (saves much of flue cleaning). Many prefer the catalytic stoves for efficiency and long burns, but the non-cats do the job just fine. We got one of each, plus a pre-EPA shop stove (Tempwood top load, and wood stove for the hot tub. :heart: (Speaking of :heart: )
Have fun looking. Get a date, a good ale, then visit a good dealer :heart: .
We all have our favorites. read about preferences and why. You've got it easy near the Big Easy :bowdown: , not like us hairy chests up north :hmm3grin2orange: .
Flash, flash, flash : NW wind 25-30 mph, ground temperature -7 F.
After a warm, wet early winter it is now real once again. And, we make lemonade out of lemons: the ground is frozen hard. The woodlands can be worked again. :yoyo: .

I heat with a woodstove for a few years now. I did it wrong the first time, bought a cheap airtight stove at Lowes figuring it would do the trick. That cheap stove was nearly impossible to get going, then you couldn't regulate the heat well and it would only burn for about 3-4 hours at the most before going out.
I then did my reading and got a more expensive stove after much reading. I picked a Napolean 1400 and can say its been fantastic. It uses about half the wood, is very controllable, will burn 12-14 hours without reloading, heats the house far more evenly (no more sweating in the room with the stove and freezing in the other rooms). It burns the wood so completely I only get about a couple gallons of ash per week that needs to be removed.
So, your choice in stoves can make a huge difference in how you like heating with wood. Getting and handling the wood is always hard work but I actually enjoy doing that.

Latest posts

Back