Canadian On-Line sites for Bars and Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone got any Canadian on-line sites that sell bars and chains? I am looking for a 20" bar form my MS660 that I won't use that often and my Stilhl dealer wants over $100 for bar and chain. So I am looking for a cheaper alternative.

Baileys Online has the goods. You can order and it comes in your mail box. They look after getting it to you whether Canada or the US

I checked out Bailey's site and they do have a section on shipping to Canada.
How long does Bailey's take to ship? Of course it takes 10 days for most things I order to get here from Ontario.

I sent an e-mail to Walkers but they replied that they only do Husky Chains.

Crofter, where abouts in Northern Ontario, I grew up in Ellliot Lake, then North Bay and worked in Red Lake for a couple of years.

Mikeinparadise;

Sounds like you might be a mining camp tramp! Blind River. The mine sites in Elliot are swept clean of every trace of a mine. You would never guess 8000 men worked there. Course a geiger counter would get quite a buzz anywhere yet!

Small World

My dad ran the Shell oil Bulk Plant in Algoma Mills just before you in Blind River in the early 60's. I don't think that it is there any more. When I grew up in Elliot Lake as a kid we lived on Mississauga avenue (Across for the catholic school) and half the houses were boarded up.

I understand since then that the mines boomed again and obviously went bust and that now it is a retirement community. I haven't been through there in 20 years.

And yes I worked in the mines underground in Red Lake! Of course that was many, many years ago.

Back on topic. I just called the local dealer acording to Oregon and he says he rarely buys from them any more and would charge me shipping in order to bring anything in and couldn't even get me price on a bar and chain. He could not even reference the Oregon part numbers that I gave him.

So I guess I am going to give baileys a try.

How long do baileys take to ship stuff??

Baileys usually gets my stuff here in 2 weeks. I may have known your Father. Elliot lake went from 30,000 to around 12,000 or so now. Some new houses went for as low as 27,000 dollars. Once they started getting the open pit Uranium from Saskatchewan, the Underground stuff from Elliot was 5 times too expensive. There is some talk of leach extraction again in Elliot but that is probably way in the future.

I live in Ontario too - Barry's Bay near Algonquin Park and have been ordering from Bailey's for about a year. Usually takes less than 2 weeks and you couldn't ask for better service when you call. Another good thing is the time change - they are still open after we have our supper! I bought a couple of 100' rolls of woodsmanpro chain and found it to be excellent. Their shipping charges are not too high either. I can order stuff from Baileys quicker than through my local stihl dealer!

Small world. I was born in North Bay, still have a whack of family there, in Kirkland Lake, and the Ottawa Valley. (Most of them are half indian). Had cousins in Elliot Lake for a while. One of my brothers just spent two years teaching for the Red lake school district in Ear Falls! The other thing you might want to try is Laser in London Ont. Pretty sure they'll mail order too. No border headaches.

My parents are still in North Bay. Spoke with my mum today as a matter of fact.

And I my mom had an Aunt who had a small set of Cabins in Barry's Bay. I only met her once. So it truly is a small world.

I sent off an email to baileys this morning but have not yet heard anything back.

MikeInParadise said:
My parents are still in North Bay. Spoke with my mum today as a matter of fact.

And I my mom had an Aunt who had a small set of Cabins in Barry's Bay. I only met her once. So it truly is a small world.

I sent off an email to baileys this morning but have not yet heard anything back.

Ask your mother if she knows any "Reckzin's". My mother's family. I'm related to every one of them. A few "Bates" family members there too.

Let us know how bad the border problems mess you up when you get your stuff from Bailey's. I got a catalogue, haven't tried ordering yet.

Pwb, The border concers are all taken care of by Baileys. It takes no concern on the part of the person who orders. They may have an agent who handles the paper work and submission of taxes, You do have to pay sales and gst tax same as if you ordered from a warehouse in Canada.

PWB, I will let you know, I just ordered 2 ripping chains, 1 regular chain and an alaskan mill slabbing rail kit from Bailey's on Jan 3rd... I am from eastern ontario, I will post back when I recieve my order...

P.s. there was a guy on ebay from ontario who had several oregon bars for sale, I bought an 18" X 3/8 x .50 ga bar from him for 9.99 US plus 12$ us for shipping, I think all said and done it cost me about 26$ canadian total for the bar (Was just the other day, so I haven't received it yet, but the guy seemed to have good feedback, so I should be ok....)

I forgot to add, Bailey's seemed very reasonable, even with the taxes, customs charges etc added, my total order was 103$ US for 3- 30" chains (2 being ripping chains) plus the slabbing rail kit.... Cutter's choice in London Ont quoted me 48$ can EACH for ripping chains, plus tax, shipping etc....

so all in all I probably got the slabbing rail kit for free compared to if I had ordered the stuff from cutter's choice in ontario here....

They don't seem to bother with their email.

I sent them an email with what I was looking for first thing yesterday morning and I have not heard anything back. To me that is pretty poor cutomer service.

Looks like I will be stuck ordering from the Stihl dealer!

ontario026 said:
PWB, I will let you know, I just ordered 2 ripping chains, 1 regular chain and an alaskan mill slabbing rail kit from Bailey's on Jan 3rd... I am from eastern ontario, I will post back when I recieve my order...

I received my order (I'm in eastern ontario) yesterday, I ordered it on Jan 4 and received it on Jan 16th, so that's 12 days, minus 2 weekends, so about 8 business days to receive? Not too bad in my books.... 1 minor problem with the order, but I'm sure that will be remedied soon enough...

Thanks

Latest posts

Back