Can't believe that I got suckered into this...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoosier daddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My father has been on me to help him for the past month to rescue a cultivator. He is an avid collector (at least that's what he calls it) but I see a program on TV that claims he's a horder...Any way he found a 4 row cultivator made by Allis Chalmers that fits a WD or a WD45 and had to have it. The only problem is that several mulberry trees decided that they too were collectors. I did my best to avoid this but I finally gave in so yesterday after church we traveled the 12 miles north to the fence row to claim his prize. All I can say is holy crap is his disease in an advanced state. We (I) cut for 5 hours on this little grove of mulberry trees called a 4 row cultivator and we are still not free. It amazed me that this tree could grow around this piece of junk with such vengence. I was as careful as I could be but hit steel and dulled 4 different chains...Before we left the house I did promise Dad that even if I thought it was the dumbest idea in the world I'd keep my opinion to myself as he thought it was an important piece...Next time no promises!!!

I do have to admit it was fun to see the old guy act like it was Christmas morning. He doesn't have much so spending time with him being excited was more than fair payment for the crappy work...He will also have some firewood for the stove when it gets seasoned.

I will post pictures when he gets them emailed to me...he was all over the camera to tell you how excited he was...

My father has been on me to help him for the past month to rescue a cultivator. He is an avid collector (at least that's what he calls it) but I see a program on TV that claims he's a horder...Any way he found a 4 row cultivator made by Allis Chalmers that fits a WD or a WD45 and had to have it. The only problem is that several mulberry trees decided that they too were collectors. I did my best to avoid this but I finally gave in so yesterday after church we traveled the 12 miles north to the fence row to claim his prize. All I can say is holy crap is his disease in an advanced state. We (I) cut for 5 hours on this little grove of mulberry trees called a 4 row cultivator and we are still not free. It amazed me that this tree could grow around this piece of junk with such vengence. I was as careful as I could be but hit steel and dulled 4 different chains...Before we left the house I did promise Dad that even if I thought it was the dumbest idea in the world I'd keep my opinion to myself as he thought it was an important piece...Next time no promises!!!

I do have to admit it was fun to see the old guy act like it was Christmas morning. He doesn't have much so spending time with him being excited was more than fair payment for the crappy work...He will also have some firewood for the stove when it gets seasoned.

I will post pictures when he gets them emailed to me...he was all over the camera to tell you how excited he was...

Here's hoping he finds twenty more things for you to help him collect, I'd give ANYTHING to be able to do something with/for my Dad one more time.

I know you aren't complaining, I am just jealous, and I bet you've made a few others here jealous too.

Enjoy.

My fathers been gone going on 25 years now, so enjoy the time you have with yours.

Here's hoping he finds twenty more things for you to help him collect, I'd give ANYTHING to be able to do something with/for my Dad one more time.

I know you aren't complaining, I am just jealous, and I bet you've made a few others here jealous too.

Enjoy.

+1
My dad has been gone for 22 years, I still miss the things we did together.
Enjoy it while it last.

My Dad and I were very close, and enjoyed a lot of time together. That's something that will be with me forever. My best friends dad passed away when he was 71, and I think John is still mad at him for not being closer. It's sad that he doesn't have better memories of his dad, Joe.

My fathers been gone going on 25 years now, so enjoy the time you have with yours.

You guys are right and yesterday was a blessing!!! His Christmas gift from me and my son was the labor to do a frame up restoration on a '49 allis WD (the first brand new tractor to be on our farm)...I growl about it because sometimes his ideas are completely crazy but cherrish any time that we can spend together...He still smokes 2 packs a day and will not quit even though he's got heart problems and can't breath very well...I know that his time is getting short so we are just trying to enjoy him while we can...Don't go and get all anti-smoking on me...he's old enough to make his own decisions.

I will seriously post pics of the cultivator rescue because you guys will love this...

The Woodsman

you know as i read your thread i thought to myself, now this gay, but like i have said b4 gay is ok. Gay~because its happy, such a tearjerkin thought, to lose pop. but the cycle of life is fast~ i cherish the days he is with me and as i listen to y'all say cherish. I do, but the cigarettes? thats a whole new thread i reckon ! speakin of which~ check ya later! nice score on the woods pop!!:rockn:

Jealous? Hell yeah! Dad has been gone for going on six years, we weren't always real close but the last few years he was with us we had become pretty tight. We always talked of restoring his '73 Opel GT but never got to it. Enjoy your Dad while you can. Oh yeah, why is it that trees just love to grow around/in/thru any old piece of equipment they can?

Jealous? Hell yeah! Dad has been gone for going on six years, we weren't always real close but the last few years he was with us we had become pretty tight. We always talked of restoring his '73 Opel GT but never got to it. Enjoy your Dad while you can. Oh yeah, why is it that trees just love to grow around/in/thru any old piece of equipment they can?

Iron, from rust, it's good for the soil. They want to make sure it don't go nowhere, ya know. :)

Latest posts

Back