Can't have the box ? You can't be serious.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevis

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok, I own a few new Stihl saws / older saws / blowers / pole saws. I just went yesterday and bought a PP-800 and a HT-131 and for the first time, asked for the box they came in. I was immediately told that will NEVER happen. That shocked me somewhat and I asked WHY ? I'm buying expensive tools and I can't have the box ? That seems more than ridiculous to me. The owner of that dealership jumped into the conversation and stated that if they let even one box go out of the door, they stood to loose their dealership ? WTF, are you kidding ? It's just a damn box.

So, can someone please enlighten / educate me as to why Stihl will not let a customer have the box their equipment came in ?
Last year ( I think ) I bought a 261C and didn't think about why I didn't get the box. In the years past with all my Stihl purchases, I didn't think about it much either.
This time I decided to ask for the box since the girl on the phone told me they had the HT-131 new in the box when I called to check on stock at the local dealer. Not to mention that I'm paying MSRP no matter what dealer you buy from, just give me the damn box that you clearly have.

Am I to believe that the dealers have a big pile of boxes in their back rooms that get sent back to Stihl or do they get burnt by the dealer.
You always get the ID bar code tag with model and serial numbers on it that they cut off the box the item came in.
I googled " Why wont a Stihl dealer give you the box your new equipment came in " and came up with nothing relevant.
Then I tried to find a picture of a Stihl box of any kind and can't find one. What the actual hell is going on here ?

I'm sure going to be interested in the reason for this ridiculous policy.

I LOVE Stilh products and HATE the company at the same time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

If I have posted this in the wrong forum, please let me know where I should post it.
thanks

Ok, I own a few new Stihl saws / older saws / blowers / pole saws. I just went yesterday and bought a PP-800 and a HT-131 and for the first time, asked for the box they came in. I was immediately told that will NEVER happen. That shocked me somewhat and I asked WHY ? I'm buying expensive tools and I can't have the box ? That seems more than ridiculous to me. The owner of that dealership jumped into the conversation and stated that if they let even one box go out of the door, they stood to loose their dealership ? WTF, are you kidding ? It's just a damn box.

So, can someone please enlighten / educate me as to why Stihl will not let a customer have the box their equipment came in ?
Last year ( I think ) I bought a 261C and didn't think about why I didn't get the box. In the years past with all my Stihl purchases, I didn't think about it much either.
This time I decided to ask for the box since the girl on the phone told me they had the HT-131 new in the box when I called to check on stock at the local dealer. Not to mention that I'm paying MSRP no matter what dealer you buy from, just give me the damn box that you clearly have.

Am I to believe that the dealers have a big pile of boxes in their back rooms that get sent back to Stihl or do they get burnt by the dealer.
You always get the ID bar code tag with model and serial numbers on it that they cut off the box the item came in.
I googled " Why wont a Stihl dealer give you the box your new equipment came in " and came up with nothing relevant.
Then I tried to find a picture of a Stihl box of any kind and can't find one. What the actual hell is going on here ?

If I have posted this in the wrong forum, please let me know where I should post it.
thanks
I think its so you cant sell new Stihl products on Ebay etc. I was annoyed too when they wouldn't give me boxes on new saws that I paid for .

Yeah, it makes no sense. The guy from Greece that sells saws on here sometimes has posted pictures of them in the original box. Is it just a USA thing?
I just happened to remember that my wife and her sisters bought their dad a Stihl backpack blower for Christmas several years ago. It was in the original box.

thanks
I stop at my stihl dealer often everyone does
because he stacks the empty boxes for the public to take
So he doesn't have to break them down or pay the trash service to get rid of them.

This makes me want to never buy another stihl product.
If they are willing to go to this length to make sure you don't get the box for a $850 pole saw, I think I'm done with them.
Thats the very definition of control and giving their customers the middle finger.
Echo makes great products also and there's always farmertec.
I know this is just a box but it's infuriating. It's not the box, it's the principal.
Screw Stihl.....

If they are willing to go to this length to make sure you don't get the box for a $850 pole saw, I think I'm done with them.
Thats the very definition of control and giving their customers the middle finger.
I know this is just a box but it's infuriating. It's not the box, it's the principal.
Screw Stihl.....
Is that the price on the Pole Saws now 850.00? I thought they were 700.00.

I doubt seriously I will ever buy another Stihl. Granted there are a couple of their saws I would like to have but I have more saws than I really need anyway. As far as their trimmers, blowers and pole saws, there are other brands that are better for the same or less money. I bought a ht131 several years ago. I haven't had any trouble with it except the telescoping shaft keeps creeping out while you are using it. No matter how tight you tighten the clamp, it comes out little by little. I was at my father in laws and he showed me his Echo pole saw. It's by far better than my stihl and was less money. I wish I would have seen it before I bought mine. He has a Stihl br600 blower. I bought the Husqvarna 570bts blower and it's far better than his Stihl and was less money. I got the box too. Lol

Is that the price on the Pole Saws now 850.00? I thought they were 700.00.
$749.99 + tax@ 7% plus $15.99 for a 6 pack of oil for the extortion extra warranty = $819.60 - So not $850 but close. A lot for me anyways. Im just a homeowner that needs to get the trees under control here in Fl.

I bought mine in 2015. The saw, a 6 pack of ultra, 1 gallon Stihl bar oil, a 3 pack of Stihl files plus the taxes was $712 out the door.
According to the 4 dealers I talked to here in Fl, there will be ZERO discounts. Only MSRP. Their reasoning is that there is a severe shortage of Stihl products and they have to fight with all other dealers to get stock. They claim if they manage to get in an order for 10 items, they may only get 2 of that item. They say its all items across the line. They claim that this is severely hurting their ability to get enough stock to keep the lights on. There is the income for repairs so they have that.

I doubt seriously I will ever buy another Stihl. Granted there are a couple of their saws I would like to have but I have more saws than I really need anyway. As far as their trimmers, blowers and pole saws, there are other brands that are better for the same or less money. I bought a ht131 several years ago. I haven't had any trouble with it except the telescoping shaft keeps creeping out while you are using it. No matter how tight you tighten the clamp, it comes out little by little. I was at my father in laws and he showed me his Echo pole saw. It's by far better than my stihl and was less money. I wish I would have seen it before I bought mine. He has a Stihl br600 blower. I bought the Husqvarna 570bts blower and it's far better than his Stihl and was less money. I got the box too. Lol
I just found out today that echo made an extendable 12' pole saw that's $599. I wish I had known that yesterday. I could have saved over $200. Unfortunately, the echo is also 17 lbs. Thats the same weight as the stihl 131. 17lbs doesn't sound like much until you are in your 60's like me and you have that weight out there 12' away and its got leverage against you because of physics. I love how it works and hate what it does to me.

$749.99 + tax@ 7% plus $15.99 for a 6 pack of oil for the extortion extra warranty = $819.60 - So not $850 but close. A lot for me anyways. Im just a homeowner that needs to get the trees under control here in Fl.
It was a lot for me too. Homeowner as well. I only use it once or twice a year. I bought it spur of the moment. I got pissed because limbs kept hitting me in the face when I was on the tractor.

I just found out today that echo made an extendable 12' pole saw that's $599. I wish I had known that yesterday. I could have saved over $200. Unfortunately, the echo is also 17 lbs. Thats the same weight as the stihl 131. 17lbs doesn't sound like much until you are in your 60's like me and you have that weight out there 12' away and its got leverage against you because of physics. I love how it works and hate what it does to me.
I'm 59. It's hard on me too. My FILs echo is more ergonomic. It doesn't feel as heavy as my Stihl.

It was a lot for me too. Homeowner as well. I only use it once or twice a year. I bought it spur of the moment. I got pissed because limbs kept hitting me in the face when I was on the tractor.
EXACTLY. My tractor too and the top of the pickup

The only stihl im not willing to part with is my old 200T. It never lets me down. I have an 038 that I need to sell because the damn thing has so much compression, I can't get it started without wearing myself completely out. My 261c seems to be a great saw but it never gets used. I bought it a couple of years ago and it still looks new. it has felled exactly one tree and has not been used since. its a lot of saw for home use. I also have a junky ms180 but it never fails to start and runs great.

The only stihl im not willing to part with is my old 200T. It never lets me down. I have an 038 that I need to sell because the damn thing has so much compression, I can't get it started without wearing myself completely out. My 261c seems to be a great saw but it never gets used. I bought it a couple of years ago and it still looks new. it has felled exactly one tree and has not been used since. its a lot of saw for home use. I also have a junky ms180 but it never fails to start and runs great.
I love my little ms180….I treat it like crap, it lives in a toolbox on the side of my sawmill, it only cuts garbage wood and it loves life….lol

my 261 is my go to saw on the wood lot. It’s light, has a 20” bar and bucks everything I put it to with ease.

Screw Stihl.....
Go to Husqvarna. That's what I did Husqvarna is nowhere near as arrogant and I found that I like their products better

Latest posts

Back