Can't start my 92cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Send me the saw and I'll fix it for free.
I have whatever parts it needs.

Pm me if you want to and I'll give you my address.

But Jason, then we can't all sit around and play armchair mechanic and get pissy with each other. If you actually fix the saw, what are we supposed to do all day???

The guy has severe arthritis in his hands and it's quite handicapped. We should cut him some slack.

I think we are cutting him some slack by asking. What is the compression on that saw instead of guessing what it is. It looks to me more like stubborn resistance.
I understand he has arthritis but just take the saw to a shop and have it checked. It takes about 5 minutes. I have seen all these comments on how to repair this saw but for what ever reason no one wants to do a compression test including the OP. Now Brad I know you are a pro builder and you would not have even started on this saw until you knew for sure what the compression was. I just think that a compression test would eliminate a whole lot of guessing and spending money on wasted parts and there fore cutting the OP some slack by saving money and time.

After all what is the point of this forum. It is to help people repair their saws.

I think we are cutting him some slack by asking. What is the compression on that saw instead of guessing what it is. It looks to me more like stubborn resistance.
I understand he has arthritis but just take the saw to a shop and have it checked. It takes about 5 minutes. I have seen all these comments on how to repair this saw but for what ever reason no one wants to do a compression test including the OP. Now Brad I know you are a pro builder and you would not have even started on this saw until you knew for sure what the compression was. I just think that a compression test would eliminate a whole lot of guessing and spending money on wasted parts and there fore cutting the OP some slack by saving money and time.

After all what is the point of this forum. It to help people repair their saws.
+1, 3000fps!:cool:

There's nothing wrong with the compression
It would be very noticeable if it didn't have enough to run.

He's owned and started it many times and who else better to say it's fine than the man holding it in his hands.

I believe it's a little bit to much compression problem and he's not able to turn it over fast enough to start.

I'd bet a good amount that the saw is fine

There's nothing wrong with the compression
It would be very noticeable if it didn't have enough to run.

He's owned and started it many times and who else better to say it's fine than the man holding it in his hands.

I believe it's a little bit to much compression problem and he's not able to turn it over fast enough to start.

I'd bet a good amount that the saw is fine

Sounds like a guess to me. You know working on saws and trouble shooting is a process of elimination. You do the test so that you know for a fact what the result is and you move on to the next test. You will always find the problem 100 % of the time by following that process. Because it is never guess work that way.
The OP is welcome to do what ever process he likes but when your just guessing Good Luck. I will say no more on the subject and will hold my peace.

It would have to be in bad shape for it not to start from lack of compression.

Seizing is about the only thing that will cause that.

Forgive me for not having time to read all the posts, but from what I have read, I am thinking that the crankcase may be flooded (would make the saw feel like it has tremendous compression). If it is, the fix is easy.

Pull the muffler, pull the starter till the piston is at BDC. Rotate the saw 180 degrees (it is now up side down), tilt it forward and see if fuel runs out. If it does, that is your problem, likely a stuck valve in the carb.

Pull the plug & clean or replace it, let it sit with piston at BDC for an hour or two, put it back together & start it! (don't use the choke for the first 6 pulls).

I Like to surprise people with low no start compression motors by putting a cap full of tranny fluid in the plug hole. Tip for anyone that wants to try it next time

I came in this forum and posted what happened. i swear and i noticed alerts this morning and omg. brad even responded he did not buy what i was being told. i will repost, man that was one heck of a dream because i could not find it. i was reading where everyone was getting antsy. davhul asked me a question that should have alerted me, anyway

i took the saw to my dealer who also uses clones and his boss was out so the coast was clear. he looked and said the damage was done by the carb flooding excessively and washing the lube off the walls. the jug was scored looking through the exhaust port he pulled on the rope and as the piston descended it revealed larger scores to the right becoming smaller moving to the left. i paid for his time and left.

davhul felt it was more likely that my rings caused the problem after i told him what brad said.

i also said a big thanks to everyone for your help. i must be getting old faster than i knew

so the problem is solved and again thanks for your help. i ordered another kit. i will inspect everything and do a pressure test.

in dealing with me i can have some great energy and when i run into a bad patch, no one wants to post on the internet they often can't close their zipper and other things that require thumbs. so i go silent. i care i am interested, very interested. go ahead and try and pull the zipper up on your jeans without using your thumb, the thing is required.

Back