#!$$! Carabiners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I needed to get some more; they have been slowly disappearing.

Found a good site for cheap 'biners: http://www.botachtactical.com/amp.html

Their product line is mostly the screw locking kind, but they have a lot of different kinds; Petzl, AMD,... Their prices seemed 1/3 - 1/2 of what the arborist supply houses were selling, but I didn't do an exact comparison.

I HATE the little ball-lock variety.

I needed to get some more; they have been slowly disappearing.

Found a good site for cheap 'biners: http://www.botachtactical.com/amp.html

Their product line is mostly the screw locking kind, but they have a lot of different kinds; Petzl, AMD,... Their prices seemed 1/3 - 1/2 of what the arborist supply houses were selling, but I didn't do an exact comparison.

I HATE the little ball-lock variety.

pdqdl,

Just a heads up. Botach ain't exactly known for filling orders in a timely manner, and keeping inventory on hand as advertised.

Customer service also can be spotty, so verify they have the biners in stock before ordering, and do NOT let them tell you it's a 1 week backorder... it never is.

If you do accept a backorder on something keep an eyeball on your credit card receipt. They have been known to charge your account before shipping and while things are backordered.

I have had good, and extremely bad luck with Botach, as have several of the guys at my old job. They even stuck my old employer a time or two on BIG ammo orders.

Caveat emptor;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Why the hate on ball locks? They are easier to open with one hand can aren't going to be opened by friction on the gate?

pdqdl, i can get the carabiners(Petzl) here locally with no problem. Do you need any? i cant remember the price exactly, but i have to get some tomorrow anyways.

Why the hate on ball locks? They are easier to open with one hand can aren't going to be opened by friction on the gate?

They are all made for right handed climbers, it works different on left hand. Especially if you are right handed with no thumb or first finger. Like me!

I can't push those stinking little buttons with my nubs, and my left hand has trouble working them.

pdqdl, i can get the carabiners(Petzl) here locally with no problem. Do you need any? i cant remember the price exactly, but i have to get some tomorrow anyways.

It's very good of you to offer, but I don't have a crisis. I'm just cheap, and I think carabiners are generally overpriced. It's particularly cheaper to buy stuff mail-order, because the drive to go somewhere eats up too much money and time.

I try to plan ahead.

Boy you got that right!

pdqdl,

Just a heads up. Botach ain't exactly known for filling orders in a timely manner, and keeping inventory on hand as advertised.

Customer service also can be spotty, so verify they have the biners in stock before ordering, and do NOT let them tell you it's a 1 week backorder... it never is.

If you do accept a backorder on something keep an eyeball on your credit card receipt. They have been known to charge your account before shipping and while things are backordered.

I have had good, and extremely bad luck with Botach, as have several of the guys at my old job. They even stuck my old employer a time or two on BIG ammo orders.

Caveat emptor;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks for the warning!

The order still has not arrived. No e-mails, either. It's a good thing I'm not desperate for my order.

I wonder how these people pay the bills?

Thanks for the warning!

The order still has not arrived. No e-mails, either. It's a good thing I'm not desperate for my order.

I wonder how these people pay the bills?

pdql,

That's the way Botach works. Make sure you cancel the order if you do not want it coming out of the blue, and a charge appearing on your card.

They did that to my old crew as well.
Darn near a quarter Million bucks worth of ammo and Tac gear, just showed up one day...

Our training guy who placed the order was almost in tears as we had already gotten stuff from another vendor and our annual budget was already blown.
The restocking and return shipping was NOT a pleasant thing to explain to the Boss.

When they have stuff in stock, Botach does have good prices....That I gotta give 'em.

Are you still shopping for biners?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Who, in their right mind, uses screw locking beeners? I just went to REI and that is pretty much all they had ceptin for some single lockers which are just as bad.
I found some nice steel rigging beeners with 2 way auto lock finally and only used a screw cause it was all I could afford at the time.

cougar007.jpg

Use these blue ones for my life line. Pull the barrell, turn and open. Does the job everytime. Clean em every once in awhile, the all alluminum construction , save for the detent which is steel, makes a tough long lasting beener. NO PLASTIC.I thhought I got them at rei but they didn't have any yesterday but I got my kid a saddle.

also that pic showed the damage on the cougar bridge which looks like the outer cover wore exposing the ends of the splice. Weaver said they fixed the premature wearing of the outer cover. I said that was good they did but it didn't really matter as I was really never happy about clipping into that skinny thing anyway and stuck a piece a climbing line in there and now use both. I miss dem big dees and the days when saddles felt like, well, saddles. giddyup.

Oh and you know I lost my Pantin, had to buy another. Didn't break it, didn't wear it out, didn't use it up I just lost it. Strangest dam thing that ever happened to me.
I am one of those ghost hunter types, when things dissappear i go hunting til I find out where they have gone. Man I don't know if I could get to sleep if I didn't know where my beeners where.

Latest posts

Back